Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #31
mizzStephylynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can't Have the Birth I Want

Maybe you can look into birthing centers? I am lucky enough to have a birthing center inside my hospital so they bill as a hospital birth.

Advertisement

mizzStephylynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #32
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

You said you've been covered for 17 days under the new policy?

Sometimes, actually I think most times, there's a 30 day overlap period, where one ins. hasn't run out yet but the other has kicked in already. If that is the case, maybe you could call the old company and tell them you are having coverage issues with the new company, and ask how much it would be to continue your coverage with them, rather than cancelling it?

You could then call the new company and raise the biggest stink ever. Let them know you asked VERY SPECIFICALLY about this before you signed up and you are angrier than a wet cat with tape on its feet, you do not want this company anymore and you want to cancel them. You don't care about any enrollment rules b.c they lied to you to get you to choose their coverage and you would have never signed on with their company had you known they don't cover this.

That is another thought.

I realize OOP ins. is expensive but even if you could just pay for just yourself through the old company, it may wind up cheaper than the MW fee overall. Kwim?
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #33
cheezpoofs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The solution is not conventional, perhaps, but my "insurance policy" really is garbage and doesn't cover anything I need them to and unaffordable overall. I will be applying for pregnancy Medicaid and will be covered for homebirth and midwife care through that. I am certain I will qualify and there should be no problems from here on out (I hope!).

Thank you for all the commiseration, words of cheer, and advice! We did the things that we could and appreciated all of the advice.
Veann - Libertarian, atheist, bookworm, heavy metal Mommy to all boys: Lucius (2-13-09), Orion (4-22-11), and Castiel (3-4-13), wife to Matthew - Anti-circumcision, babywearing, somewhat AP, natural birthing/ homebirthing, don't care about being "green", doing things my own way...
cheezpoofs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:58 PM   #34
You Tell 'Em
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezpoofs View Post
The solution is not conventional, perhaps, but my "insurance policy" really is garbage and doesn't cover anything I need them to and unaffordable overall. I will be applying for pregnancy Medicaid and will be covered for homebirth and midwife care through that. I am certain I will qualify and there should be no problems from here on out (I hope!).

Thank you for all the commiseration, words of cheer, and advice! We did the things that we could and appreciated all of the advice.
I hope the application process is smooth and quick for you! (I don't know anything about how long it takes or anything)

Are you a WAHM crafter looking for an easy way to track inventory and pricing? I <3 using Craftybase!
Looking to add an advocacy design to your own shirt? All screen printed transfers are for sale on my Etsy store!
You Tell 'Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #35
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

SO YOU ARE ABLE TO KEEP YOUR MIDWIFE?
Old 01-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #36
cheezpoofs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthmom View Post
SO YOU ARE ABLE TO KEEP YOUR MIDWIFE?
Yes, we paid the difference for Medicaid clients and will be applying for pregnancy Medicaid as soon as possible. Our insurance is basically catastrophic coverage with a very high deductible and we really can't afford the deductible and coinsurance and whatever other financial burden this supposed "insurance" forces us to bear.

I feel a lot more at ease about our birth and finances now, even though I haven't applied or been approved yet.
Veann - Libertarian, atheist, bookworm, heavy metal Mommy to all boys: Lucius (2-13-09), Orion (4-22-11), and Castiel (3-4-13), wife to Matthew - Anti-circumcision, babywearing, somewhat AP, natural birthing/ homebirthing, don't care about being "green", doing things my own way...
Old 01-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #37
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezpoofs View Post
Yes, we paid the difference for Medicaid clients and will be applying for pregnancy Medicaid as soon as possible. Our insurance is basically catastrophic coverage with a very high deductible and we really can't afford the deductible and coinsurance and whatever other financial burden this supposed "insurance" forces us to bear.

I feel a lot more at ease about our birth and finances now, even though I haven't applied or been approved yet.
SO HAPPY for you, to be seeing this update.

Sorry for DDC and stalking your thread!

We have the same "insurance" and it is a total rip-ff and joke. I *HATE* it. WASTE of money.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #38
newtocloth2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yay! I hope this works out for you. Pregnancy medicaid is different by state, here it only covers hospital births, but where my sister lives it covered a birth center birth.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #39
cheezpoofs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
SO HAPPY for you, to be seeing this update.

Sorry for DDC and stalking your thread!

We have the same "insurance" and it is a total rip-ff and joke. I *HATE* it. WASTE of money.
Thank you!

And thank you again to everyone! Everything should work out very smoothly. I've been told that I need only apply and because I'm eligible to get the pregnancy Medicaid coverage, I will be approved. Though it may not actually get approval until the baby is born (could take up to forty-five days for approval and I'm thirty-six weeks), they pay retroactively up to three months. So as long as everything stays healthy and I'm not forced to medically evict baby (I tend to go "too long" postdates.), all systems are go for my home birth with my midwife of choice.