Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-25-2013, 08:28 PM   #21
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: BC/family planning after the baby?

I am seriously considering the diaphram.

I will not do anything inserted (iuds, etc) and I'm not overly fond of chemicals. Anything except the lowest dose possible makes me throw up.

Otherwise, we'll go with condoms.

Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 10:42 PM   #22
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

We were happy with mirena so we'll go that route again.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:29 AM   #23
MamaBarton
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2wyatt View Post
Just wondering what people are planning for BC or family planning after their LO is born?
We definitely want atleast 1 more but I'm not sure exactly how we''ll decide to space it. Since I'm a school nurse this will work perfectly for us since my maternity leave gets me to the summer, so I'll get 4 months off. BC gives me bad side effects and my uterus isn't shaped right for an IUD. I probably need to research more but you usually don't ovulate while your BFing?
sorry no idea what others have responded in regards to ovulating during breast feeding but I thought I would answer anyway... you are only covered naturally for 52 days by breastfeeding. thats all!

As for us we decided back in March that we were going of all BC from here on out... only natural family planning.... and we are honestly kind of hoping we get pregnant again fairly soon. I am 29 and my husband will be 38 shortly after the baby gets here so we are not getting any younger, and we more than a few kids so that means having them close together!
with baby #1. Mary Elizabeth due April 2, 2013!
MamaBarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:06 AM   #24
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Do NOT count on BFing as birth control. Just look on this forum for all the oops babies that result from that!! Lol

Not to mention you'll ovulate before you know your cycle is back.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:25 AM   #25
bai18176
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
I am seriously considering the diaphram.

I will not do anything inserted (iuds, etc) and I'm not overly fond of chemicals. Anything except the lowest dose possible makes me throw up.

Otherwise, we'll go with condoms.
Hmm, I haven't considered the diaphram. It does seem like it would have it's pluses. I agree with you on all the other stuff. I just don't know I'm ready for something permanent! DH might think otherwise though.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #26
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well DH is 33, I'm going to be 29 in a week, we want 1-2 more so I guess we might just see what happens. I know a lot of people who got pregnant right away even BFing, but I also know a lot of people who tried for months before getting pregnant even after weaning so I guess we'll just see what happens!
Old 01-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #27
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmomma View Post
I think I am going to get a tubal. But I am confused on if I do if I can nurse and if I can not are they going to feed baby formula in the hospital? That is a no for me. So not sure yet what I will do. I HATE the pill and dh will not get a V. So not sure yet what I will do.
My friend had her tubes tied when she had her 4th c-sec, done at the same time, no troubles nursing right after she got back to her room. I don't know how it works if they're not all ready "in there" though!

AFM: DH is planning to get a vasectomy after Hiccup comes along.
We weren't sure what we were going to do after losing Elliana, but didn't want to make any decisions in the midst of grief, so we were using condoms and just waiting until we felt a clear "answer"... apparently we were waiting for Hiccup, lol.
Now we feel done with pregnancy. I don't know for sure that we won't have more babies - adoption has been on my heart for many years, so that may be how our family continues to grow.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:08 PM   #28
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bai18176 View Post
Hmm, I haven't considered the diaphram. It does seem like it would have it's pluses. I agree with you on all the other stuff. I just don't know I'm ready for something permanent! DH might think otherwise though.
there was a thread in the pregnancy forum (I think) about bc after baby and a lot of people seem to like their diaphrams. And it sounds really easy. which, okay, I sucked at putting in a menstrual cup, so I think I'll be really paranoid with one, but I do like the idea of a simple barrier.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #29
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2wyatt View Post
Well DH is 33, I'm going to be 29 in a week, we want 1-2 more so I guess we might just see what happens. I know a lot of people who got pregnant right away even BFing, but I also know a lot of people who tried for months before getting pregnant even after weaning so I guess we'll just see what happens!
hehe, my friend found out she was 18 weeks pregnant and was still breastfeeding her 15(?) month old. Another friend of mine does extended breastfeeding and ended up with 3 kids under 21 months old (the second pregnancy was twins).

and then there's my friend who started trying immediately and didn't get pregnant until her child had been weaned for more than 6 months.

I don't trust breastfeeding as a birth control option. Of course, I want 1 more and didn't expect this one to come so easily, so definitely will be happy if my plans get foiled
Old 01-26-2013, 08:49 PM   #30
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bai18176 View Post

Diaphragms scare me. I can't even use a tampon successfully so I don't know if I could use one!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote