Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-19-2013, 10:21 AM   #51
gina1921
Registered Users

Re: Drinking while breastfeeding?

I still breastfeed my 18mo old and if I drink more than 1 glass, or if I feel the effects at all, I do not breastfeed until a few hours have passed. I am lucky to not be overly uncomfortable if I miss a feeding, so I don't pump/dump. Might sleep with an extra pillow though

Advertisement

gina1921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #52
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyxmegan
Like I said I don't drink. I was just curious about if an alcoholic with a baby should breast or formula feed.
Personally I think a drink while breast feeding is fine. Two if you're eating and it's over the course of a couple hours should also be fine

But someone getting drink all the time should not IMO be breast feeding. She should have weaned herself off alcohol while pregnant and should be able to keep from getting drunk now that baby's born and breast feeds. But of course ppl still do it anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #53
MommyTephanie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gina1921
I still breastfeed my 18mo old and if I drink more than 1 glass, or if I feel the effects at all, I do not breastfeed until a few hours have passed. I am lucky to not be overly uncomfortable if I miss a feeding, so I don't pump/dump. Might sleep with an extra pillow though
My son is 9 mos and I'm pretty similar to you. He will typically STTN on the weekends (not sure if it's bc he is put down later or what but I wish we could do it during the week too- Momma yawns a lot at work!!) on Saturday nights, Daddy & Momma relax with a few cocktails and some music. We don't last long now that we're not as young as we used to be! But I enjoy spending time with him like we could before the kids and it helps to reconnect.

Since alcohol doesn't get trapped in your milk, I just feed him in the morning once I'm not tipsy anymore.

I would agree with others that drinking while preggo is unsafe and would make me nervous. I know I must have had a few drinks in me before I knew about either of my babies, but once I knew I couldn't have any more.
MommyTephanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #54
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Someone being a practicing binging alcoholic is far more of an issue than how they feed their child. I don't understand this question.

And opinions can be wrong, and uneducated.

Oh, and I've had 2 of 2 OBs in the states say a drink now and again later in pregnancy is fine.
Tris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:35 PM   #55
alyxmegan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris
Someone being a practicing binging alcoholic is far more of an issue than how they feed their child. I don't understand this question.

And opinions can be wrong, and uneducated.

Oh, and I've had 2 of 2 OBs in the states say a drink now and again later in pregnancy is fine.
Being an alcoholic while raising a child is not good i agree. But it does happen. I was just curious if its better to breast or formula feed in that situation.
alyxmegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:11 AM   #56
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyxmegan View Post
Being an alcoholic while raising a child is not good i agree. But it does happen. I was just curious if its better to breast or formula feed in that situation.
There are too many variables to answer that question, as many people stated. Is said alcoholic mom drunk as a skunk when trying to breastfeed every single time? Not good, but also the implications of such are far worse than alcohol laced breastmilk. And if an alcoholic was practicing as a mom of a newborn, I would assume they never stopped as a pregnant mom to be and there would already be physical repercussions of such.

I feel like this question is an attempt to prove that breast isn't always best or something, it just has a weird tone to it.
Tris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #57
momma_dna
Registered Users
seller
seller

OP already stated that she had no one in mind when she asked the question. Not really sure what her reasoning for asking said question is, especially since she then stated she was more curious about an alcoholic and breastfeeding vs casual drinking. I honestly don't get why this thread was posted if it was about a fictional alcoholic. The real issue isn't an alcoholic bf'ing, it's an alcoholic raising children. I feel like this thread is pointless.
momma_dna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #58
alyxmegan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris

There are too many variables to answer that question, as many people stated. Is said alcoholic mom drunk as a skunk when trying to breastfeed every single time? Not good, but also the implications of such are far worse than alcohol laced breastmilk. And if an alcoholic was practicing as a mom of a newborn, I would assume they never stopped as a pregnant mom to be and there would already be physical repercussions of such.

I feel like this question is an attempt to prove that breast isn't always best or something, it just has a weird tone to it.
It is definitely not trying to put breastfeeding in a bad light. I am very pro-breast.
This question had no point other than my idol curiosity.
alyxmegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #59
Meredith+2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have to agree that the repercussions of parenting while intoxicated go beyond trace amounts of alcohol in breastmilk. Would an intoxicated mother be able to prepare formula correctly every time, for example?
Meredith+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:27 PM   #60
Babyhoward
Registered Users

I always read that one drink takes 2 hours to metabolize.
Babyhoward is offline   Reply With Quote