Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-19-2013, 01:47 AM   #1
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't think we'll ever be rid of this cat stuffed animal

DD is 1, and twice I've tried to get rid of this darn cat stuffed animal. It's a Fur-Real toy that walks and purrs. I put it in a box of stuff to give away, and when she burst into my room (usually the gate is closed and she can't get in here), she saw it and desperately needed it so it stayed. A few months later I pulled it out of the toys to purge it, and had a whole box of stuff being picked up by a freecycler. Well, they were late and DD spotted that darn cat in the box by the door and rescued it. She has dragged it everywhere all day and hugging it (and feeding it and reading to it). She goes through her animal flash cards, finds the kitty card and shows it to the kitty. Now I feel bad and I don't know if I'll ever be able to get rid of it since she's rescued it twice and loves it so much.

I originally bought it when she was tiny last year because it was on clearance at Fred Meyers for a few bucks. She was just starting to get really into kitties so I thought it would be fun. Since then I've been more interested in minimalism. I also have developed a disdain for stuffed animals, and things with batteries. I'm not a fan of this darn cat, but DD certainly is. Well played little one, the cat stays for now. And lesson learned - don't buy random toys even if it's an awesome price!

Advertisement

mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:36 AM   #2
marliah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: I don't think we'll ever be rid of this cat stuffed animal

Lol we have a few toys like this too.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My kids have a small space for special things, like those annoying toys. Kids get attached to weird things.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:14 PM   #4
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marliah View Post
Lol we have a few toys like this too.
Us too! Kids are so funny like that.
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:19 AM   #5
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
Aww, don't take her kitty. Obviously she :wubs: it and she will outgrow it sooner than later.

We had a mauled (ripped) rottweiler stuffed toy from a crane machine. My hubs wanted a puppy for his puppy (our rottie Damien). He gave it to my then 2 yo (now nearly 5). I finally got rid of it this month. I kept trying for a few years & I finally gave up to keep the peace. Now we are down to a stuffed animal each and a pillow pet each for my 2 older kids. Minimal stuffies will happen!

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Trade it out for something else and give that away instead. In the long run it's not a huge deal. Just try to remember that.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #7
TypeAMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Di**ae
seller

My Mood:

Last week my daughter wanted a $2.50 stuffed animal she saw at the store. I said she could have it if she donated 2 of her stuffed animals from home to kids that don't have stuffed animals and she agreed. I reminded her when we got home and she handed me 2 stuffed animals. Like Jodie said, "Minimal stuffies will happen!
Slave to my
TypeAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:26 PM   #8
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeAMom View Post
Last week my daughter wanted a $2.50 stuffed animal she saw at the store. I said she could have it if she donated 2 of her stuffed animals from home to kids that don't have stuffed animals and she agreed. I reminded her when we got home and she handed me 2 stuffed animals. Like Jodie said, "Minimal stuffies will happen!

They will.

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:49 PM   #9
SarasynFox
Registered Users

My Mood:

My daughter was that way with some of her toys. We've got a couple of toys that my kids are really attached to. Thankfully it's nothing I hate anymore. She may get over it and move on to something else. She may never move on. One way or another, she's eventually going to be ready to let it go, or she'll take it with her when she moves out! Just remind her that holding on to that kitty will mean there isn't room for another new toy that she might like better. She might eventually opt to trade it out for another toy.
SarasynFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:55 AM   #10
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hehe, thanks for the words of encouragement. She still loves that kitty, and makes sure to give it a hug when we go through the flash cards and find the cat. Now she even makes a point to show it the cat card and teach it the word "cat".

The problem is that she's like her dad. He's very emotionally attached to random things. I've tried to help him thin out some of his possessions and you'd think I was asking him to cut off a finger. He NEEDS it. DD is the same way, and she's extremely attached to every stuffed animal, every picture of an animal, every pillow, well - you get the picture. She's 1. If we see something cute in a book she hugs it. If there's more than one stuffed animal she puts them together. She runs and gets cups so her friends can drink. She gives the ball a blanket. She sees a pillow at the store and she has to hug it. Any playdates we go on she hugs some random doll or blanket the whole time. She just loves everything. If we kept everything she showed an affinity for, we'd be swimming in stuff! We're down to about 20 stuffed animals (from at least a hundred), and all of them had to be snuck away discretely. I'd like to think this is just a phase that will pass, but after reading the stories DH wrote when he was little about all of the emotions his stuffed animals and belongings had, I'm thinking she's just really attached like he was (and by "was" I mean "is").
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote