Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-05-2012, 12:12 AM   #1
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
VCF or cervial cap

I have a copper IUD in right now and I hate it. I knew it might cause my cycles to be long but I had such light short cycles I didn't think it would be a big deal. I would have a 3 day cycle before and now my cycle lasts over a week with a few days of heavy bleeding. I also just am not comfortable with how it prevents pregnancy. I hate this thing. I have been wanting to get it removed but I just don't like the alternatives either and I had no insurance and now I have insurance but it doesn't cover visits until I hit the deductible and then only some of the costs. I was thinking of using either VCF or getting a cervical cap. My worries are getting it in correctly every time. Does anyone here use either of those methods? How is it to use it? I was thinking of combining it with charting and after I know I ovulated I will go without.

Advertisement

nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:01 AM   #2
Faithsa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: VCF or cervial cap

I've been wondering about the diaphram as well. Do you know what the difference is between that and a cervical cap?
How does the copper iud work? Does it have strings like the mirena does?
Thanks for the answers if you have any
Old 01-27-2013, 01:32 AM   #3
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I forgot I wrote this but I happen to catch it on new posts since I am in Alaska and the board isn't busy at this time. The copper works similarly to the mirena and does have strings. It uses copper instead of hormones to prevent pregnancy. It usually will prevent the egg from reaching the sperm physically but the fact that it may not is what I don't like.

The cervical cap is similar to a diaphragm but it is a lot smaller and is made to fit over the cervix. They come in 3 sizes for women who never been pregnant , who been pregnant any length of time but never given birth vaginally and those who have given birth vaginally so you don't have to be sized. You need use spermicide with it and be able to reach the ceervix but the design is pretty good to make it easier to do so. It works pretty well but the effective rate isn't as good as some of the other methods if a pregnancy would be really bad. The estimates vary but it seems like around 92% for perfect users slightly higher for those who have been pregnant. The non perfect pregnancy rate is higher. I ordered one but I haven't had the IUD removed yet so I haven't used it yet.

I know this is old but I know now that vcf alone isn't a very effective method.

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 01-27-2013 at 01:33 AM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:36 AM   #4
Faithsa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Getting pregnant wouldn't be a crisis but it would be stressful. I figure I'd use spermacide with it but I'm trying to figure the best way to go. I'd like to try a less expensive option first to see if it bothers dh because sometimes it feels like he's punching me from the inside (if that makes sense) so I'm pretty sure my cervix isn't really high. I'm thinking I'll stay away from the copper iud as well. I use a lady cup and strings would bug the heck out of me.