Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-24-2013, 09:49 PM   #11
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: It's SO much money...

Sorry mama, right there with you! We got a discount but still have a bill of $3,700. We spread out payments over one year instead of 9 months. All I can say is it is worth it in the end and you will be happy you chose this route. Try to focus on the amazing experience you will have and how to prep your home for this event instead of how much you spent!

Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 10:24 PM   #12
Pyrodjm
Registered Users
seller
seller

You only get to birth this child once and have been dreaming about doing it a certain way since you were a kid, what better way could that money be spent?!

As someone that had two amazing homebirths I can tell you it's SO worth it.

My insurance covered them, but knowing what I know now, I'd get a second job while pregnant to fund a 3rd one if I had to. DH feels the same way.
Pyrodjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:29 PM   #13
UmmKira
Registered Users
seller

That's about what we're paying for our home birth, too. I figure we're paying for the statistics of healthy births out of the hospital, paving the way for people to have it covered by insurance in the future.

Come check out my homeschool blog!
UmmKira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:59 PM   #14
earthmama7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeur View Post
I just wrote a $4500 check to our homebirth midwives group. I have an appointment this afternoon and I was going to pay off the balance then. (I hate making payments and like getting my bills paid up front - always.)

THAT'S SO MUCH MONEY!

My HMO insurance will cover *everything* 100% if I have a hospital birth. *sigh* This hospital has a policy to induce at 40 to 41 weeks and they have a very high c-section rate.

I've been dreaming of a natural birth at home since I was a 11 years old watching my mother birth my sister at home.

Please say something to take my mind off this hefty chunk of cash! It's starting to make me a little sick. And no... my HMO insurance won't cover a penny.
I am going through the same thing right now. I have been dreaming of a HB for a long time, and we just couldn't afford it and my insurance wouldn't cover it, but this is my last baby and I really want to have him at home. DH is on board which is great (neither of us like the hospital), but the money thing is getting to me too. I just keep thinking how the hospitals in the area have really lousy policies for VBACs, which I am still considered even though I have had a successful VBAC, and they also induce if you go past 41 weeks, and my last son was born at almost 42 weeks. I also don't want to be subjected to nurses and Doctors who will give me a hard time for refusing tests, vaccines, ect. And I want to be able to get into water, eat and drink, birth squatting if I want and basically just be in control of what I do and don't do in labor.

So this is the way I see it. Birth is one of the most sacred experiences you can have in a lifetime. It's special and amazing while being one of the most difficult things you ever do. It's your body, and your baby and if this is important to you then I think, don't worry about the money, just think about why you are doing it. It's worth it, I truly believe that, and if you don't do it, you'll always regret it. Just my I need to take my own advice.
I wish you a wonderful homebirth!
Old 01-24-2013, 10:59 PM   #15
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
That's how much we have to pay if we do a home birth!
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:22 AM   #16
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

At least you get a nice home birth for that price. We don't have any home birth midwives near us, and the closest hospital (1.5 hours away) is in-network but my OB is out of network. So I have to pay $1,500 for the in-network portion, $3,000 for the OB's portion PLUS anything that is beyond expected medical expenses, which could be another couple thousand on top of that. When I found out what we had to pay, I cried.

I may still switch to an in-network provider but that is over 3 hours away so we would have to pay for hotel lodging as well. *sigh*

I had a home birth at my midwife's house with DD2, and it was a great experience.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:39 AM   #17
wellsmommy
Registered Users
seller

My midwife charges $5600! It's a crazy amount but this is my 5th baby and I have wanted a homebirth since #3 so we are going for it! I'm 30 weeks and can't wait to experience a relaxed, calm birth with no one pressuring me to do things I don't want and to be able to be surrounded by all my children!
wellsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:54 PM   #18
waiting_on_anna
Registered Users
seller

I don't even have the choice to home birth. I wanted to with #4 but my complications during pregnancy eliminate that option. I was turned away from every midwife I contacted.
waiting_on_anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:48 PM   #19
Erinne
Registered Users

While I totally agree that it's worth it... I've heard too many negative stories of women who choose to part ways with a particular midwife due to some sort of negative experience and then have to fight to get their money back to think it's a great idea to pay it all upfront this early. If you still have that check, I'd just pay whatever their minimum is for now, and pay it out over the course of the pregnancy as they require, just in case.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:17 AM   #20
roseyroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I wish I had the money to pay mine up front! We are a very low income family...i have medicade for this pregnancy ...but plan to use it only for an emergency. Having a hb is so important to us we r willing to scrimp and scrape by every week so that we can have our babe at home. All but 1 of my children are hb's the only hospital experiance I have had ended up with csection. So worth it to me to birth at home. Our midwife charges $3,600...if u have it paid by 32wks its discounted to $3,000. She is worth every penny. We plan to finnish paying ours off when income tax return comes in. I have never regretted a penny I spent on my midwife....but regret the birth I had for free through an OBGYN.