Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-25-2013, 11:27 AM   #11
fostermommyJ
Registered Users

Re: Fostering babies and tots

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynneBabies View Post
Do you know if your area has a specific foster to adopt program? Many do not and have switched to concurrent planning which means you support reunification along with being the adoptive resource if child cannot be reunified and family cannot take them. The only places I know that have true foster to adopt programs (which are when the child is already on the adoption path but parents' rights are not officially terminated) are CA and maybe TX? There could be some in other places, but CA is one place I know has this. Wish we had it here! After having five placements and very much wanting to adopt, it's tough.
We have foster to adopt in NC but most kids are adopted by they're first foster parents, the ones that had them when their plan was still reunification.

Advertisement

fostermommyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:45 PM   #12
macmemo
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

First placement ~ DS1
How old~ 4 years and adopted at 5
How long were they with you? still are
What are some of the challenges you faced when bringing the into your home? Lots of behavioral challenges. Three years later we have made a ton of progress but it was a bumpy first year. Luckily he was your only child at the time so we could really focus on him. I don't know if I could have done it if I had other kids it the house with his behaviors.
Any conflict with children already present in the home? For the first year he was the only child so no. and now he has two siblings and he is a great big brother.
Ever turn down a baby or toddler? We have turned down a few but its not easy to say no so be prepared.

Placement 2~ DD
How old?~ 6 months
How long were they with you?forstered from 6m until 2 years and adopted at 2
What are some of the challenges you faced when bringing the into your home? really none but it was hard because her case was so up and down so we never knew if she was staying or going home
Any conflict with children already present in the home? no

Placement 3 DS2
How old~ 2 days (came straight from the hospital)
How long were they with you? 2 days until 1 year we adopted
What are some of the challenges you faced when bringing the into your home? none
Any conflict with children already present in the home? no
macmemo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #13
JAB03
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyNMe_101 View Post
I was hoping some of you more experienced mamas and dads could tell me about your experience(s) fostering babies and toddlers.

Ie:
How long were they with you?
What are some of the challenges you faced when bringing the into your home?
Any conflict with children already present in the home?
Ever turn down a baby or toddler?

Thanks in advance!
We have been doing foster care for about 1.5 years now. We have had 3 placements and have done some respite care for other foster parents in between placements.

1.) Placement 1-9 month-old girl, 7 months; Placement 2-4-month old girl, 2 months; Placement 3-13 month-old boy, 5 week old girl (siblings)-June-present.
2.) There is always an adjustment period for you and the children--time for you to learn about each other and your relationship to mesh. It seems that this is typically a month for each of the children we've had, except the 5-week old, it took her about 2-3 weeks. After that, they will continually progress, but after that first period, it gets easier. That's our experience at least.
3.) Sure! We have a 3-year-old, and there is always conflict with other children that he has to share with/plays with, etc. Just like siblings normally would have, but he LOVES all the babies that have come through our home.
4.) We have not turned down any children, but we haven't had any children with major behavioral/substance issues thus far.

HTH!
Jenny-NAVY wife , , , delay vaxing, kinda crunchy, part-time WAHM to DS 8/09 , TTC #2 .
JAB03 is offline   Reply With Quote