Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-26-2013, 05:16 AM   #1
yucafrita
Registered Users

Working at home with a 4 month old?!

Is is possible?! My old boss called me to see if I would be interested in working from home (I used to do social work in a NICU). It would require a lot of time on the comp and some time going back to the hospital. How realistic is this with a 4 month old? Anyone have experience with this?

Advertisement

yucafrita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:24 AM   #2
sma123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I work ft from home and i have a 5 yr old, a 2 yr old, and i'm due in 3 wks w/#3... i've been working at home since before having kids and i've only taken leave for maternity (6 wks after each). It's VERY challenging; however i wouldn't give it up... I have to work as i'm the bigger breadwinner by about 15,000 per yr so being a sahm isn't an option. I just have a very hard time balancing all of my responsibilities/time management. I basically am a sahm with an additional (and very demanding) full time job. About 70% of my worktime is from home and 30% is out in the field. I will say i found it much easier w/one kiddo so I'm sure you can do it...

Last edited by sma123; 01-26-2013 at 06:26 AM.
sma123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
Steph Ed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Working at home with a 4 month old?!

I did graphic design work from home, sometimes while my children were there. But they are definitely older than your LO. With that being said, I think it's possible. Maybe suggest a trial run? However, I would set specific boundaries from the beginning. Such as, Fridays off or you will only make trips to the hospital on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Steph Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I took my dd to work with me until she was almost 3. Started the week after she was born. Like pp said...it's challenging but I wouldn't have traded it for anything.
Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:42 PM   #5
organicmama10
Registered Users
seller
seller

I do FT at work the majority of the time. I have a 2 yo and a little one. I am still on maternity leave at the moment. I'm not sure how and if I'll be able to handle 2 kids while working FT. Work can be demanding in that I'm taking conference calls and meetings throughout the day but I try to schedule around naps, etc. if I could I would become sahm but am not able to make it financially.
organicmama10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #6
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It depends on the job I'm sure, but for me, I don't feel it's fair for your children or your company to work from home and try to take care of kids at the same time. I know I couldn't give either the attention they deserve.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:41 AM   #7
sma123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabuki24 View Post
It depends on the job I'm sure, but for me, I don't feel it's fair for your children or your company to work from home and try to take care of kids at the same time. I know I couldn't give either the attention they deserve.
I would rather be home with my kids then have them in a daycare situation with a stranger raising them. I may not be able to give them my full attention; however I know that they are safe and their cared for. If I had a choice, I'd be a SAHM; however for some of us, that's not feasible... Working from home allows me to be there with my kids and contribute the lions share of our household income.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #8
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sma123 View Post
I would rather be home with my kids then have them in a daycare situation with a stranger raising them. I may not be able to give them my full attention; however I know that they are safe and their cared for. If I had a choice, I'd be a SAHM; however for some of us, that's not feasible... Working from home allows me to be there with my kids and contribute the lions share of our household income.
Mama, I wasn't trying to come across as snotty at all, I promise. I was just saying, it would be so, so hard for my job (I'm a banker, analyze financial statements all day long, write credit reports, etc) and not fair to my company because I really need to focus when I work or else something would take me a million years to finish. It really depends on the job and also your kid(s) if you can make it happen. It would be terribly stressful for me to try to do my job and focus on my very needy almost 2 year old.

If working from home with your kids doesn't work out for you, just know that daycares can be a good thing. I feel 100% confident that my son is well cared for and safe. I used to be pretty anti-daycare, but now that he goes I really don't feel that someone else is "raising my baby"... she asks me all the time what my preferences are, etc..
Old 01-29-2013, 05:41 PM   #9
Kristinah07
Registered Users
seller

I think it's def possible I'm planning to work at home once our baby is born so i sure hope this is possible!!
Kristinah07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:50 PM   #10
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by yucafrita View Post
Is is possible?! My old boss called me to see if I would be interested in working from home (I used to do social work in a NICU). It would require a lot of time on the comp and some time going back to the hospital. How realistic is this with a 4 month old? Anyone have experience with this?
Possible? Yes but if this is full time you may want top consider a mothers helper. I did the work from home with a four month old and I always ended up working late into the night and during naps. I could not really get work done while baby was awake.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote