Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #11
Andbabymakes2
Registered Users
seller

Re: Hospital or Home Birth????

Liesl- I totally agree with the birthing center comment!!! I'd have no prob having my babies there, where you could labor in any position you felt like, not one that's easier for the Drs. I also think birthing tubs should be standard in all hosp's. I don't need an iv, and I am going to eat and drink to keep up my energy during birth. I don't want some nurses hand up my hoohaa to check me every couple of hrs. But I don't have any health issues and no real prior complications either. I think it's a foolish choice by mom's to hb if there are any risks!

Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #12
momto2princesses
Registered Users

I totally agree that in an ideal world, women would have freedom to make their own decisions while at the hospital, and not be forced into hospital protocols, etc. I know you can fight it any put your foot down, but it is SO HARD to do that.

I had a homebirth with my 2nd, and ultimately, I felt that that was the safer way to go for me. My husband and I are both physicians, and we felt very comfortable with the risks. For us, it came down to this....chances of a complication introduced by unnecessary interventions are much higher in the hospital....but if we were in that small percentage where something went wrong at home, would we be comfortable having taken that risk. For us the answer was yes, but I know not everyone feels that way.

Ironically, there is a birth center attached to the hospital here, but they won't let me deliver there because I've had a prior c-section. Not to mention that it was over 5 years ago and that I've since had a successful VBAC (which research has shown to reduce your risk of uterine rupture significantly). Oh well, it just means I'll be having this baby at home also.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:02 PM   #13
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Im terrified of hospitals. DS was born at a birthing center and dd was born at home. We thought about a homebirth with this baby, but after weighing all everything we decided to go back to the birth center where ds was born.
We lived out of state and didnt have the option of a birthing center with dd.

Ultimately I think there are risks at home or in the hospital, and everyone just has to decide what they are most comfortable with. Labor is largely how your perceive it, and if you know you'll be scared and stressed in a hospital, you probably wont labor well there. If you have a hb and dont feel comfortable with the midwife, you might not labor well.

The deciding factor for us this time was the midwives experience, and the fact that there's another option other than the hospital. With dd our midwife had many, many years of experience. The only hb midwife in our current area only has 3 years of experience, and I'm pretty sure she's a "trust birth, hands off" kind of midwife. Which I don't feel comfortable with. I need to know that the mws caring for us are going to be able to catch any complications before they become serious.
If we didn't have the birth center, I honestly dont have a clue what we'd do. Like I said, Im terrified of hospitals. I have nightmares like crazy about being in a hospital when I was pregnant with dd. Im sooooo grateful for our birth center.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #14
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Thank for all your opnions. I still have no clue but my dh really wants a homebirth. Give you an idea we are twenty minutes from the hospital. So that is a downfall, but the midwife I have found has thirty years of care for home births.
Hospital downfalls are doctors never make it to my births so nurses tend to deliever me anyways. No bathtubs to labor in only showers. You have to share a recovery room.

My labors are very fast and I normal for from 5 cm to 10 cm in a half an hour and longest pushing was with dd and it was five miuntes.

But truthfully I like the attention after the birth at the hospital from the nurses. Being able to truely lay there in bed and recover. I am scared after the baby is here at home I will be back in action sooner than I would like to be. Does that make sense.
missydawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:22 PM   #15
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS and DD were born in a hospital and I had awesome nurses and drs. This one I plan on doing the hospital again too. I'm going to see if my dr does water births...the hospital has a few birthing tubs.
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:36 PM   #16
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Any birth centers around, preferably one associated with or near a hospital? Is the Midwife a CNM or a CPM? It sounds like you may be more comfortable with a CNM with a bit more medical knowledge.

Honestly it sounds like you have made your decision. I feel the exact opposite of you, but if you want to be in a hospital than you probably should be.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 01-28-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #17
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
Any birth centers around, preferably one associated with or near a hospital? Is the Midwife a CNM or a CPM? It sounds like you may be more comfortable with a CNM with a bit more medical knowledge.
No birthing centers and only one hospital the choose from. She is a CNM.
missydawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #18
momto2princesses
Registered Users

I've always felt like the key with homebirth midwives is experience. The one who attended my DD2s birth had 30+ years of experience. I didn't really *like* her that much personally, but her experience was superior to everyone else I interviewed and that was the key for me. I felt like, I didn't care if I liked her or not, as long as she was going to be attentive and careful and on top of any complications that might arise.

Luckily, the midwife I'm planning on using this time around has tons of experience (also 30+ years), and I actually like her. so extra bonus for me. :-)
Old 01-28-2013, 01:08 PM   #19
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto2princesses View Post
I've always felt like the key with homebirth midwives is experience. The one who attended my DD2s birth had 30+ years of experience. I didn't really *like* her that much personally, but her experience was superior to everyone else I interviewed and that was the key for me. I felt like, I didn't care if I liked her or not, as long as she was going to be attentive and careful and on top of any complications that might arise.

Luckily, the midwife I'm planning on using this time around has tons of experience (also 30+ years), and I actually like her. so extra bonus for me. :-)
I agree. If there was a CNM hb midwife in the area with 30 years of experience we'd probably have a homebirth.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:27 PM   #20
littlehands
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you've had a previously uncomplicated birth, your risk for having a home birth is very low.

I've had 6 kids at home, including my first. They were all wonderful experiences. My midwife team now are all ladies that I would absolutely trust with my life. They are actually quite a bit more cautious than my previous team and transport moms during labor frequently when it's warranted. They also have a close working relationship with the hospital and OB in our area.

I've never lived closer to a hospital than 20 miles.