Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
Namiko
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Cloth Wipes for the budget?

So I think I'm tired of the whole disposable wipes option and want to transition to cloth wipes. I'd love suggestions and advice on any of the following:
- solution for wipes: cheapest option? just use water? how do you use?
- type of wipes: make your own or buy? best/cheapest brands and where to find?
- how many wipes do I prob need for a 2 month old baby? how do you store before using? do you rinse off or just put in wetbag with dirty diapers?

Thanks!

Advertisement

Namiko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
Hi-Dog
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Cloth Wipes for the budget?

Yep, cloth wipes are definitely the logical choice!

For wipe solution, I just use a few drops of Dr. Bronner's liquid soap in water (I personally use the Lavender, but they have all sorts of scented and unscented varieties). I have found wipe cubes/solutions to be a PITA and this is dead simple. You can just use a bit of baby wash you already have.

I have mostly wipes that I have bought over time, I LOVE Thirsties wipes, but they are a bit pricey. I just bulked up my wipe stash by ordering a dozen Gro-Via brand wipes for 12.50 with free shipping (Amazon Prime). The fuzzibunz double sided wipes are nice, too. You can also make wipes out of flannel and serge/zig zag the edges to prevent fraying.

The number depends on how often you do diaper laundry. I would say it's probably good to have twice as many wipes as diapers you use.

I store about a dozen at a time in my wipes warmer. We generally "make wipes" daily.

I just throw mine right in the pail. I have rinsed wipes a few times if they were really bad, but if it's just formula or BF poo, it doesn't matter. Even now that she's on solids, I don't worry about the little streaks that end up on the wipe.

Last edited by Hi-Dog; 01-28-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Hi-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
Namiko
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyMae12 View Post
Yep, cloth wipes are definitely the logical choice!

For wipe solution, I just use a few drops of Dr. Bronner's liquid soap in water (I personally use the Lavender, but they have all sorts of scented and unscented varieties). I have found wipe cubes/solutions to be a PITA and this is dead simple. You can just use a bit of baby wash you already have.

I have mostly wipes that I have bought over time, I LOVE Thirsties wipes, but they are a bit pricey. I just bulked up my wipe stash by ordering a dozen Gro-Via brand wipes for 12.50 with free shipping (Amazon Prime). The fuzzibunz double sided wipes are nice, too. You can also make wipes out of flannel and serge/zig zag the edges to prevent fraying.

The number depends on how often you do diaper laundry. I would say it's probably good to have twice as many wipes as diapers you use.

I store about a dozen at a time in my wipes warmer. We generally "make wipes" daily.

I just throw mine right in the pail. I have rinsed wipes a few times if they were really bad, but if it's just formula or BF poo, it doesn't matter. Even now that she's on solids, I don't worry about the little streaks that end up on the wipe.
What a great idea to use Dr Bronner's soap! I think I'll have to try that. Do you put the solution on your wipes and then store it in the warmer or do you get them wet as you use them?
Namiko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
julasd
Registered Users

My Mood:

I use Dr.Bronners,olive oil,water ad a drop of tea tree oil.I started with washcloths from the dollar store but as my girls started solids and getting messier poop I serged 2 sided ones from cut up dishcloths and some old receiving blankets.I use a lg.tupperware container to store them
julasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
PurpleFluff
Registered Users

For wipes I got an 18 pack of washcloths from Walmart for under $5. They work fine. I was making a wipe solution with water, baby soap and vitamin e oil, but lately I use water and a squirt of baby wash if it's a messy poop.
PurpleFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #6
Monkeytaylz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We use cloth wipes still even though my kidlets are all out of diapers. I just keep them in a basket in the bathroom as the kids like to use them in addition to tissue- and we hang a small wetbag next to the toilet.
You can make your own easily from flannel or evn old t-shirts or you can buy them- I make a surprise pack for my HC store for a dozen wipes for $10.00- flannel backed with either velour or sherpa (a mix). A couple dozen is usually enough if you are washing diapers every 2-3 days.
For wipe solution, it is really unneccessary- either just plain water or a teeny bit of baby bath added works great. When my little guy was in diapers, we would just prepare the days wipes in a wipes container using water, a squirt of baby bath and then add the wipes, but it is also easy just to wet as needed at the sink so that the wipes are warm.
Monkeytaylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #7
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

I've just used t shirt wipes...DH lost a ton of weight and his old XXL shirts make a whole lot of wipes. Sure, they curl up at the edges when they come out of the dryer, but once you wet them it is fine. I wet mine in the sink, but DD2 was older when we started. Will have to come up with a system for the baby.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #8
tink90
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree wipes solution is unnecessary, but I love my delish Naturals bits....smells sooooo yummy!

As for cheap wipes....cut up a couple of the bazillion flannel receiving blankets you have lying around and use them for a week or 2 to see if you like it before you splurge

My favorites are flannel one one side and minky or velour on the other if you are going to get some wahm ones

*.~.~.*Petalheads*.~.~.*
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1484149
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Petal...61515813886015
tink90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #9
Finniansmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I love my Wee essentials wipe solution bits from Etsy! I paid around $18 for over 100 in 10 different scents and they smell amazing!! I have also used the CJs carcass cleaner but can't find a CJs scent that I like. I use the baby washcloths. I actually just bought more today. Te Spasilk brand at TJ Maxx is great at they are $3 for 10.
Finniansmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #10
Hi-Dog
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namiko View Post
What a great idea to use Dr Bronner's soap! I think I'll have to try that. Do you put the solution on your wipes and then store it in the warmer or do you get them wet as you use them?
I put the solution on the wipes and store in the warmer; we go through them all in a day and have never had them get dingy/smelly. Dr. Bronner's is awesome, a container of it has lasted us months and months. MUCH cheaper than any other wipe specific solution I have seen.