Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #11
CASMama711
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
seller

Re: Breast pumps are free????

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenBooty View Post
Affordable woman's health care act part of obama care is supposed to make this happen but most insurances want it purchased under a durable medical equipment provider andante of those don't seem to be set up.
This. When my twins were in the NICU, Tricare would cover the cost of breast pump rental, but only from a durable medical equipment provider. There were no durable medical equipment providers that rented breast pumps in my state, so I was out of luck.

Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 05:18 PM   #12
mommaagain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Even if insurance says no coverage or some other unsatisfactory answer, call a medical supply place. I had BCBS tell me they absolutely would not pay for a pump. I called my local medical supply place. They told me to call my OB for an order and they did all the rest of the paperwork. It was covered 100%. FWIW, my DS2 was about 6 months at the time and I kept getting plugs/blocked nipple pores with a manual pump if I was away from him for more than 1 feeding.

ETA: They even sent it fed-ex overnight
mommaagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #13
crunchymamaNY
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

my friend just told me ins co's pay for nice electric breast pumps. I'm pregnant now, and I'm gonna look into this!
Old 01-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #14
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It will depend on when your plan started and whether they had incorporated the new Obamacare rules yet.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:57 PM   #15
Momma2Nick
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have federal BCBS and they are covering an Ameda double electric pump at 100%. They didn't offer up any others and I've only ever used a Medela and I have no idea how it compares. But they will also cover 150 storage bags every 90 days.
Amanda, Wife to Ray, Momma to my Nicky Bean born 12/21/07 He was the coolest Christmas Present EVER! Welcomed my Easter gift, Victoria on 4/20/11 Our Summer Sweetheart, Mason came on 7/23/13. We are sooo blessed!
Momma2Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:21 PM   #16
mama2tommy
Registered Users
seller

Most will, but for full coverage you have to go through an in-network DME provider, and you will be limited on your choices - most will cover the Medela PIS (but not freestyle), Ameda PY, and I've seen one or two that will actually cover the Hygeia. Edgepark is one place that is pretty easy to work with - they will bill your insurance directly, but it seems that they are "out" of pumps right now and are working off of a wait list.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:47 PM   #17
lyia81
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I called my insurance company, Aetna, sometime last summer when I was still pregnant. They stated that they didn't pay for breast pumps. We have a pretty high deductible (to keep our premiums lower) so I'm not surprised at their answer. I don't know when they Obamacare things started. Was it after that?
lyia81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:36 PM   #18
mama2tommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyia81 View Post
I called my insurance company, Aetna, sometime last summer when I was still pregnant. They stated that they didn't pay for breast pumps. We have a pretty high deductible (to keep our premiums lower) so I'm not surprised at their answer. I don't know when they Obamacare things started. Was it after that?
That may have been true with your plan last year, but I'll bet it's not the same this year. And FWIW, our Aetna plan has ALWAYS covered an electric double pump, but I had to force the phone rep to actually LOOK at my plan because the first automatic answer was no!!!

Anyway, here's what you need for Aetna: http://www.aetna.com/individuals-fam...stfeeding.html
Old 01-31-2013, 02:53 PM   #19
shureeg
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I second what mama2 says. I had to call aetna 3 times. Finally found out it was covered if I had a script from Dr. So I paid 50.00 copay for my hygeia.

ISO: snappiable fitteds
shureeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:38 PM   #20
freshdaily
Registered Users

The local WIC program here will provide a Medela Pump in Style Advanced if you're returning to work full time. Do you have a local WIC agency, perhaps, if your insurance won't cover it?
freshdaily is offline   Reply With Quote