Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-28-2013, 05:19 PM   #21
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Am I terrible because...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmyann View Post
No way is that terrible... Heck if I every get pregnant I want to just be knocked out and wake me up when its over.
I had to laugh when I read this. I have had 3 c section. 2 I was so tired when I received pain killers I fell asleep. I had been in labor with each around 12+ hours and not sleeping well for several months. The nurse woke after baby was all cleaned up and ready to be seen. The third I was awake the whole time. I think sleeping is the best way to go. I was chewing nails the whole time. Absolutely hated it. I bonded great with them all no problem. (yeah I don't tell my cpm mama this though)

Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 05:21 PM   #22
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
Honestly, if my first birth would have been with more caring staff, and cable TV, it would have been nice. The hospital staff and their stupid protocol and their condescending treatment are what ruined it for me.

I could totally see it being peaceful and relaxing with the right staff.
With my first, the main nurse was super pushy and annoying, and with my second the main nurse was the sweetest lady. It makes SUCH a difference.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #23
Nickel+3
Registered Users
Formerly: nickel+2
seller

My Mood:
I've had 2 epi births and one natural. I had a HORRIBLE complication with my epi birth. I'll NEVER ever get an epi again. It scares me to death. Worst birth experience of my life. My natural birth, sure it hurt. But only during labor. I didn't have to lay flat on my back for 2 weeks after birth without even a pillow having my husband change my pads for me.
#4 due in October!
Nickel+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #24
cormama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Both births with my 2 girls were with epidurals and I tried to go natural with both. I know my body and know when I just can't take the pain anymore. I think everyone is entitled to deciding what works for them. I know I'll be asking for an epi with this next birth! Don't feel guilty!
Old 01-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #25
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
I am sorry if I offend you with this, but as a mama who has had two births with epidural and two births without...That statement is a bunch of bullarky. It may have been "uncomfortable" for you, but for me, labor and delivery SUCKS. My body contracts for WEEKS, doing nothing, and that hurts. THen, as it turns into real labor, it hurts worse and still takes hours and hours to go from 1cm to 7 or 8cm. THen, I go from there to 10 within minutes and baby pretty much flys out. The whole experience for me is just awful. I know all about the breathing and the walking and the tub and all of that. It HURTS. A LOT. It IS suffering for me. It's not media and propaganda brainwashing. It's real genuine pain. And to go along with that...I don't enjoy pregnancy all that much either. The pain of pregnancy, labor and delivery and three of the very top reasons I am not having any more children. Please never tell anyone ever again that labor only hurts because they have been brainwashed by the media.

To the OP, no you aren't terrible for wanting an epidural.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fancy Pansy View Post

I agree with the below poster. I had a natural birth. I did everything "right". My body can't handle it. Just like some people could have a tooth extracted without meds and deal with it fine...everyone's pain threshold and body/circumstance is vastly different.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #26
yellowitchgrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm having a home birth and I don't think you're awful- I think education is key and knowing what the benefits and risks are is extremely important. After that personal preference is important too because you don't want to do something you feel like you "should" and then have hated the experience. That defeats the purpose.

I do caution anyone from elective c-sections, because I think many times they aren't fully aware of how much more risk they are putting into the situation, but if they know and still want that- again, that's their call.
Sarah. Christian. Married to Jonathan. Proud Mama of 6 boys! Andrew (10), Luke(7) and James (2). My babies born into heaven : Zach, Toby and Simon WAHM behind Sarah's Stitches HyenaCart and Etsy, 10% off with the code: DSE10 Facebook Wetbags, Snack Sacks, Fleece Soakers, Dresses, Naked Time Mats, Dresses, Wipes, Affordable Weighted Blankets and more! Check out my novels!! Ask for other places to buy.
yellowitchgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #27
NutMeg4189
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
I think you first have to realize that it doesn't have to hurt. Our bodies are not broken, we are not put on this earth to suffer through childbirth. If you work with your body it really doesn't have to hurt. The US is one of the few (only?) country that believes it hurts this bad. It's all media and old propaganda from when we went from a normal birth at home with midwife society to a hospital society
I also have to disagree with this. I was given pitocin after hours of my water breaking and leaking. Nothing was happening and then all the sudden I was in excruciating pain. It was not something that society told me to feel. I barely knew what pitocin was at that point in my life. It was serious, real pain.

When I found out I was pregnant, laboring naturally, or really just without pitocin at all was one of the first things I discussed with my midwife. She told me we would do everything possible to avoid it but that I need to be prepared for the fact that some women just work that way and even without pitocin I could go straight into incredibly strong, painful contractions and if that was the case we could talk about pain management methods before hand to see what I'm comfortable with.

It's great that labor is simply uncomfortable for you, but everyone's body is different and it's important to remember and respect that.
NutMeg4189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #28
dancingingrace
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
I am sorry if I offend you with this, but as a mama who has had two births with epidural and two births without...That statement is a bunch of bullarky. It may have been "uncomfortable" for you, but for me, labor and delivery SUCKS. My body contracts for WEEKS, doing nothing, and that hurts. THen, as it turns into real labor, it hurts worse and still takes hours and hours to go from 1cm to 7 or 8cm. THen, I go from there to 10 within minutes and baby pretty much flys out. The whole experience for me is just awful. I know all about the breathing and the walking and the tub and all of that. It HURTS. A LOT. It IS suffering for me. It's not media and propaganda brainwashing. It's real genuine pain. And to go along with that...I don't enjoy pregnancy all that much either. The pain of pregnancy, labor and delivery and three of the very top reasons I am not having any more children. Please never tell anyone ever again that labor only hurts because they have been brainwashed by the media.

To the OP, no you aren't terrible for wanting an epidural.
Totally agree!

I went into both of my deliveries with an open mind. My first time, I had absolutely no idea what to even expect (obviously), so I wasn't set on getting one or not, just wanted to go with the flow and see what happened. I wasn't in pain until a little while after he broke my water, and I got the epi. AMAZING experience, I honestly enjoyed AND can remember every second of that labor and delivery. 2nd time, same thing...I was even induced with pitocin, and had no pain, but the second they broke my water, the pain turned on just like that, so I got the epi again. Another amazing experience!! And, BTW....I did have two of those births where I got the epi, relaxed with the tv, took a nap, pushed a baby out in under 15 min, and was catered to until I left the hospital...they DO happen...lol. But seriously OP, don't let anyone else's opinions make you feel badly for what YOU want, and for what works for you. Like my doctor told me, there are risks with every single thing you do in life, even things as simple as taking your prenatal vitamins...but, if epi's were so terrible, they wouldn't be allowed, like someone else mentioned. I've had some people try to make me feel badly for getting my epi's, but I don't feel badly about it because that was what worked for me. Neither of my babies suffered side effects, I didn't have side effects and was able to get up to the bathroom on my own very soon afterwards, and the biggest thing for me is that I enjoyed every moment of both labors and deliveries. If I were in all the pain (that I really do feel before my epi), my births wouldn't go as smoothly as they do and I wouldn't remember much of them b/c I'd be so worked up from the pain. Also, you don't need to worry about them wearing off too early b/c you can have them turned on until the anesthesiologist turns them off, it's not like you get one does and that's it. Just trust yourself, mama, and don't worry about anyone else!
dancingingrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:13 PM   #29
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Nope! I researched them before having DS and was open to having it or not. I labored for 14 hours without it. Actually, it was offered to me when I first arrived at the hospital and I declined. 5 hours later, I caved b/c I was still no where near delivering and I was exhausted. I have to say, though, I didn't just nap and relax. I still felt ctx and was pretty uncomfortable at multiple points. In general, though, it was a good experience and i plan to get one this time too, unless I just progress too fast. Research it and do what is right for you!
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #30
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think you should do what you want. I chose a homebirth and had a great experience, I wasn't in excruciating pain. It was tough but not terrible and I really loved the experience. But I certainly don't blame anyone for choosing an epidural.

Personally they freak me out plus I have a fractured vertebra and I don't trust anyone to put a needle in my spine. So since I was terrified of an epidural it just made sense to do it at home.