Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #1
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Kitchen Command Center

Spin off, LOL. I would love to see pictures of your kitchen command centers. I have one but it needs tweaking. Or even just descriptions of your processes and how you organize them. Especially how you minimalize them. Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
This is mine:

Top is school schedules, etc.

Left are baskets for papers. One for each kid, all school papers kept in a binder. One for me. My binder is not my Home Journal, or Ops Manual, or whatever that it should be. It is actually a binder keeping track of the kitchen reno we almost have finished. But I need to make one.

Then a clock, and the calendar. I usually use the Sandra Boynton one because I find it easier to track 3 kids on it, but I tried a homemade one this month. It works fine...until I want to add events for later in the year. So I will buy another one. Also the morning and bedtime checklists and the menu plan for the month.

Below it is a magnetic board for drawings and stuff you would usually put on the fridge.

I don't have a system for mail in the kitchen. I should start one. We have a basket for mail at the launch/land pad but it really is just a dumping place we go through once a month.

Last edited by cherylchoo; 01-22-2013 at 04:53 PM.
cherylchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:33 AM   #3
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Kitchen Command Center

I need to give in and add a second basket/bin to mine for papers. Right now we just have a calender on the wall and a basket on the counter with things like tape, scrap paper, etc. Next to that is a tin with pens... pretty simple, but I don't have papers coming in for the kids or anything
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:25 AM   #4
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'll take photos of ours a little bit later (our home Internet is down so I'm on my phone).

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
indigo152
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylchoo
This is mine:

Top is school schedules, etc.

Left are baskets for papers. One for each kid, all school papers kept in a binder. One for me. My binder is not my Home Journal, or Ops Manual, or whatever that it should be. It is actually a binder keeping track of the kitchen reno we almost have finished. But I need to make one.

Then a clock, and the calendar. I usually use the Sandra Boynton one because I find it easier to track 3 kids on it, but I tried a homemade one this month. It works fine...until I want to add events for later in the year. So I will buy another one. Also the morning and bedtime checklists and the menu plan for the month.

Below it is a magnetic board for drawings and stuff you would usually put on the fridge.

I don't have a system for mail in the kitchen. I should start one. We have a basket for mail at the launch/land pad but it really is just a dumping place we go through once a month.
Glad to see your photo. In your post to my kitchen clutter question I was trying to imagine how you kept your command center looking organized. Looks great! I don't really have a spot in my kitchen for something like that, but our dining room / office is adjacent to our kitchen. We have a desk with doors that I hung a paper organizer on. I just need to be better about actually filing mail and papers in the organizer instead of letting it sit 10 feet away on a precious kitchen counter!
Old 01-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

School papers are a PITA. They will always come home with permission slips, or registrations forms, etc that you have to sign/write a check/do something online for and you don't always get to turn it in next day. Then you usually want to keep progress reports and report cards, notes from teachers, etc at least for the current school year. Or sometimes they send home papers about a project that you have a few weeks or a month to help them do. And in the case of one of my kids, the teacher sends the whole week's worth of homework in a packet home on Mondays, but wants you to keep it at home until each component is turned in and not in the homework folder in their backpack. You could keep it all in a hanging file, but I find it easier, and easier for the kids to access what they need, if I put it in a inbox or in a binder for each kid. I think I need to start a hanging file for home management stuff though.

I have seen people do setups similar to mine on the inside of pantry doors and even inside cabinet doors. I am fortunate to have that four feet wide stretch of wall space available in the kitchen for mine.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:27 PM   #7
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Phone charging station and 2 cups from ikea......man I need to work on this area, lol! All papers I need to keep, cards ready to send, etc...get shoved up against the wall....random junk gets shoved in the cups and shelves of the phone station.

Small stuff gets stuck on this magnet board in the cabinet.

Guess thats not really what you were looking for, is it!

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:16 PM   #8
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oops, forgot to put my pictures up!

Here it is with the drawer open, so you can see what's in it:

Although I plan on making a financial planner/binder soon, so this will change slightly.

Here's the filing system.

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #9
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Our command center/launch pad/mail station is all in one. DH has a drawer for his junk. My drawer is next to his and has things like tape, check book, stamps, etc. plus phone chargers. On the counter is DH's basket and the outlet for plugging in the pencil sharpener and phone chargers. The upper cabinet's bottom shelf has a basket of pens, scissors, sharpies, etc. Above that is lunch boxes and supplies, above that is medical stuff. On the inside of the upper cabinet door is my calendar. I write down all the kids activities, appointments, etc on the calendar and tape any short term papers (like invites and permission slips) near the calendar. School work goes in a bin in the garage, I sort through it every quarter. Other papers get filed, file box is kept in the hall closet.

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote