Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
happy2beamom
Registered Users
seller
seller

How to reduce a fever, is it dangerous to baby?

So, this flu/cold is going around my family. I got it yesterday and ended up going to doctor because i didn't know what i could take. Apparently, just tylenol I was running a low grade fever (99.9) and the doctor said that i needed to keep it at 99. Well, this morning i was having crazy dreams about needing water and when i woke up i'm 101.9 I took another 1000mg tylenol and have it down to 100.9. Should I be going back to the doctor since i can't seem to get it down to 99? The doctor said it is just a viral infection.

Oh, yah, and i'm 11 weeks today Guess i'm outing myself

Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
momto2princesses
Registered Users

Re: How to reduce a fever, is it dangerous to baby?

I had the same deal going on last week. My doc told me as long as my fever stayed below 102 to stay home and not worry about it. I had to take tylenol around the clock for 2 or 3 days to keep it down, but everything is fine.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
mmeneely
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Get in the tub and put a cool tea towel on the back of your neck. No need to head back to the doc if under 102 - it is viral so the physician cannot do a thing for you. What yo can do to help is stay home and keep your bug there.
A fever means your body is doing it's job so NO worries. Just have a cooler tub and it will come down. I promise.
mmeneely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #4
dressagemom
Registered Users
seller

I had a fever for two days right before Christmas. I didn't realize I was pregnant, and took an ibuprofen tablet because I was so achey and uncomfortable. I think I've taken ibuprofen in most of my pregnancies once or twice. It's not my first choice, only if I'm really completely totally miserable.
dressagemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:29 PM   #5
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I would not take Ibuprofen at all, personally as it is tied to several birth defects. Also, watch your limits on the Tylenol as it can cause liver damage for you, mama, if you exceed the max dose. Otherwise, get lots of rest and fluids. I hope you feel better soon!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #6
mrserhabor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My OB allows ibuprofen up till 30weeks along. Most important is to stay hydrated!! Other than that just got to let it run it's course. I hope you feel better soon!
Old 01-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #7
happy2beamom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto2princesses View Post
I had the same deal going on last week. My doc told me as long as my fever stayed below 102 to stay home and not worry about it. I had to take tylenol around the clock for 2 or 3 days to keep it down, but everything is fine.
Yah, just talked to nurse and she said it is better to take more tylenol and have fever under 102 then have the fever. It only got to 101.9 with tylenol, cold cloths, luke warm showers so i didn't have to go back in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeneely View Post
Get in the tub and put a cool tea towel on the back of your neck. No need to head back to the doc if under 102 - it is viral so the physician cannot do a thing for you. What yo can do to help is stay home and keep your bug there.
A fever means your body is doing it's job so NO worries. Just have a cooler tub and it will come down. I promise.
Yah. I can't do baths I did stand in the shower for a long time a couple times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dressagemom View Post
I had a fever for two days right before Christmas. I didn't realize I was pregnant, and took an ibuprofen tablet because I was so achey and uncomfortable. I think I've taken ibuprofen in most of my pregnancies once or twice. It's not my first choice, only if I'm really completely totally miserable.
I took it for cramps at the beginning because the tests were negative and i was so crampy I still feel bad about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn97 View Post
I would not take Ibuprofen at all, personally as it is tied to several birth defects. Also, watch your limits on the Tylenol as it can cause liver damage for you, mama, if you exceed the max dose. Otherwise, get lots of rest and fluids. I hope you feel better soon!

I was taking 1000mg every 6 hours for 3 days I am now just taking it 1 or 2 times a day for the incredible sinus headache pain. I'm hoping i don't have a sinus/ear infection as my ear starting hurting last night

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrserhabor View Post
My OB allows ibuprofen up till 30weeks along. Most important is to stay hydrated!! Other than that just got to let it run it's course. I hope you feel better soon!
It has almost been 1 week (tomorrow) so i'm hoping the coughing and sinus blockage and pain ends SOON.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:39 PM   #8
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2beamom
I was taking 1000mg every 6 hours for 3 days I am now just taking it 1 or 2 times a day for the incredible sinus headache pain. I'm hoping i don't have a sinus/ear infection as my ear starting hurting last night
Well, Dr Google says you can take 3,000 mg a day but I think you can actually take a little bit more. I would ask your doctor if you feel like you need more. I'm sure you're fine re: the meds. I hope you feel better soon!!

We went out to dinner with friends on Saturday night and they both have confirmed flu, so I'm praying we don't get it...

lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #9
happy2beamom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn97 View Post
Well, Dr Google says you can take 3,000 mg a day but I think you can actually take a little bit more. I would ask your doctor if you feel like you need more. I'm sure you're fine re: the meds. I hope you feel better soon!!

We went out to dinner with friends on Saturday night and they both have confirmed flu, so I'm praying we don't get it...

Yah, i verified with the nurse like 6 times I said it is okay for the baby, right. I'm taking 2 500mg tablets, etc. Just so we were all on the same page. I asked because it said not to take more than 3000mg a day on the bottle and that 4000mg can cause serious liver damage, but she assured me it would be fine I hope so. I normally don't take anything and after taking the tylenol and fisherman's friends and halls (like it was going out of style) i feel so blah.

I hope you don't get the flu!