Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-28-2013, 08:48 PM   #11
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Midwife service- labor at home and then transfer to hospital for pushing?

Hah yeah, I don't mention to many people that we cosleep. Fortunately I haven't had ear plugs thrown in my face though! What the heck? You'll be ok you could always insist he not be there if he is on duty?

Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 12:17 AM   #12
AleahDeann
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would see if there is a birth center around. I wouldnt hire a midwife just to help you through labor, your doula should be good enough for that. Have you considered an unassisted birth? If you are really against the hospital birth, maybe you could find a doula who would be comfortable with that situation.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:48 AM   #13
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

I would try to work something out with the MW on payments rather than hire her just for the labor.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:33 AM   #14
MonkeyBean415
Registered Users
Formerly: Coastiefam415
seller
seller

We don't have a birth center. We live on a small secluded island and have only one hospital. We're lucky to have doula services and I'm thrilled that the midwife might be an option since she'll be here for the summer months. I'm going to talk with them both and see what we can work out. My first choice would be to have a full home birth with the midwife (no doula required) and then my next choice would be to have the doula help me labor at home for as long as absolutely possible. Our town is so small that the hospital is only 10 minutes away which is good.

Thank you ladies so much for putting it all into perspective. You're all right about the cost not being worth having the MW there just for labor. I just hope I can figure something out with one of them.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:41 AM   #15
MonkeyBean415
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleahDeann View Post
I would see if there is a birth center around. I wouldnt hire a midwife just to help you through labor, your doula should be good enough for that. Have you considered an unassisted birth? If you are really against the hospital birth, maybe you could find a doula who would be comfortable with that situation.
An unassisted birth sounds like a good option as well. I'd love to know more about it. Off to do some research
Old 01-29-2013, 08:50 AM   #16
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymamaNY View Post
If you have whoever is on call at a hospital, then why hire a midwife to help you get through the labor part at home? Wouldn't it be cheaper to just stick with your doula? I'm kind of confused, sorry.
because its been proven that doulas and/or midwives help manage pain better for moms in labor. there is a lower chance of pain meds, complications and surgery. labor is the MAIN reason to have a support system, not so much the pushing. as many moms want to give up cause it hard work!! you want someone who can push you to go farther and has positions and techniques on hand to help get you to 10cm more quickly and w out meds

honestly I too would consider a unassisted. I had 4 myself and LOVED it. little to no cost!!
Old 01-29-2013, 09:40 AM   #17
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthmom View Post
because its been proven that doulas and/or midwives help manage pain better for moms in labor. there is a lower chance of pain meds, complications and surgery. labor is the MAIN reason to have a support system, not so much the pushing. as many moms want to give up cause it hard work!! you want someone who can push you to go farther and has positions and techniques on hand to help get you to 10cm more quickly and w out meds

honestly I too would consider a unassisted. I had 4 myself and LOVED it. little to no cost!!
That's her point. That it would be the same/ cheaper to just hire a doula to help her labor. Most midwives are hired with the intent of support and delivering, while doulas are purely support.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #18
MonkeyBean415
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthmom View Post

I would love to know more about your experiences. I see that you used to be a midwife. Neither myself nor DH have any medical experience. I'm afraid we wouldn't know what to do if something went wrong. I'm also not sure if any of the doulas would feel comfortable being a part of it.