Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #11
shan1212
Registered Users
seller

Re: Sized AIO cost same as disposables?

For the newborn stage, some diapers (like Lil Joeys, Bum Genius NB, FuzziBunz XS) will really only fit up to 10 pounds give or take, and you can't go right into mediums from there without them being very bulky. But other diapers (NB Simplex, Thirsties Duo Size 1, "mini one size" pockets) will fit up to 15 pounds give or take, so there'd be no need for size small. So I think you are very much overestimating how many diapers you would need to buy. Plus you can conservatively count on getting 50% of what you spend back if you resell them.

If you want to do AIOs, I would do something like 15 NB Simplex, 15 Thirsties Duo Size 1 AIOs, and 20 one-size of your choice. So you would be buying 50 diapers, not 120, and you could resell the NB diapers before moving on to the one-size too. Or you could do a NB diaper trial and get a sense of what type you like before buying your one-size stash.

Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #12
RockinLou
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen12323 View Post
Wow I had no idea I may just need 20 or less with mediums or large. Good to know!
Rockinlou, are the OS bulky? Do you like them better or your size large?
I like both! My one size diapers are GroVia Hybrids, which I love, and I have Blueberry Basix for my son, which I add absorbency to. He had a few in Medium and I added them in Large when he could fit them and got a dozen of them because they are stay dry, and the lack of rise snaps makes them Nana-proof, and I know he will be wearing them when he starts school, so I wanted something SUPER easy for them to put on. I prefer my GroVias at home, but with needing to add a booster and a stay dry layer, that's too off-putting for the other people who might change him. I find they both fit great, and I love having a mix of sized and one size diapers in my stash!!

There is nothing wrong with having more than one type of diaper in your stash!

editing to add that my Basix are most definitely more bulky than my GroVia. LOTS more bulky!

Last edited by RockinLou; 01-28-2013 at 07:19 PM.
RockinLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:47 PM   #13
kmadavis85
Registered Users
seller

I just bought 13 bumgenius aio size small for $90 on this site & I plan on selling them to buy OS once she outgrows them. She's 6 wks now.

I was planning on using prefolds & covers from birth but I couldn't get it figured out to make it successful for us. So before I bought the BG I had some itti bitti snap in one, a happy heiny mini OS, simplex NB, a few wahm. I really like the happy heiny mini OS, but it's a pocket.

From my (limited!) experience so far I would suggest getting a few different brands sized for NB & then go from there. A lot of the different cloth diaper stores online will have specials where if you spend a certain $ then you get a free one size, and they might have a brand on sale too. I got the itti bitti for buy 3 get one free, then the extra diaper for free for spending the money. I also won 2 free thirsties from a raffle copter from Facebook & twitter.
kmadavis85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:00 PM   #14
lbookwalter
Registered Users
seller

I have pretty much bought all of my diapers used, and have saved a ton of money. I have used BG AIO sized diapers and OS. If I were starting my stash again, I would buy NB, small, and one size. I have a few mediums and larges, but as my baby outgrew the smalls, I found I really preferred the one size with snaps. When he was wearing the size small diapers, I didn't like all the bulk of the one size, but now they are great,
lbookwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:11 PM   #15
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

Also, if you haven't used a OS diaper before, don't get too many before you try one. I, for example, hate rise snaps. Uhg. Much prefer the smooth front of sized diapers. But, as others have said you won't necessarily need all sizes or nees the same # of dipes in each size.
leadmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:26 AM   #16
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen12323 View Post
I calculated that if i want sized diapers, 30 each size,
Newborn, small, med, large...the total for AIO's add up to same or more than disposables.

Anyone take this route?

Also, are One size diapers too bulky?
What they said. I did a survey awhile back, and people who used sized diapers tended to only buy 3 sizes.

If I'd done sized AIOs on my son, I could have had a 3-day (wash every 2 days, but take forever to finish the laundry) stash with ...

-- 30 first size
-- 22 second size
-- 16 third size

There are people who spend as much on cloth as they would have on disposables, but this is usually by choice.

I did find BGEs to be incredibly bulky and bumpy, even at 30 lbs. But Grovia were nice and trim and smooth. Other people have different experiences.

I've done some surveys and it's typical to get a newborn, then a one-size system, then training pants.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:39 AM   #17
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

We've had a few OS diapers over the years for night time, but the majority of our diapers have always been sized. Some points to consider:

1) OS diapers rarely fit newborns well, so most people still buy 2 sizes - newborn and OS. Some kids grow out of OS diapers and need yet another size.

2) Each size of sized diapers won't get used for 36 or so months straight like most OS tend to - so each diaper will have less wear. This means they'll have higher resale value or will be in better shape for subsequent kids than OS diapers will.

3) You'll need fewer of the larger sizes than the smaller sizes.

4) Sized diapers are usually cheaper than OS.

I hate OS diapers, so I'd used sized even if they cost way more than OS in the end, but right now my second kid is using the same diapers that my first kid used, and they're still in good enough shape that we'll be able to use them for our third kid who's on the way. Sounds like a good deal to me.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #18
coquelicot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
4) Sized diapers are usually cheaper than OS.
Really? The sized BGs and Thirsties I've purchased were more expensive than the Smartipants and Alvas, both OS.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:32 PM   #19
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by coquelicot View Post
Really? The sized BGs and Thirsties I've purchased were more expensive than the Smartipants and Alvas, both OS.

More likely to be cheaper within the same brand. Alvas are cheaper than everything, so that's like apples and oranges.

For example,
Sized Simplex are like $22 (they used to be $18, ugh) and their OS is $26.
Sized Fuzzi Bunz are $15, OS Fuzzi Bunz are $20.
Sized Bottom Bumpers are $18 or $19, their OS is $22 or $23.

There aren't a ton of sized options though.
and M
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:54 PM   #20
Lady_B
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
A lot of times ppl but you nb disposable diapers anyways and you can use those till you get into the os diaper. I used prefolds from nb to 12 months. I made some fitted myself too. But ds is a wiggler and pinning him down for a 10 min dipe change sucks. So I ordered 13 kawaii babies that are suppose to fit from 8-12lbs. It was $80 something for 13 diapers w inserts. I'm going to order son alvas once I sell the prefolds.
Owner and designer of Butterfly Elephants, waldorf style dolls
Lady_B is offline   Reply With Quote