Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #11
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

Re: Shipping to Canada - which service?

Quote:
Originally Posted by champatlife View Post
so you guys have to pay additional fees on top of what we spend to ship to you?

I sent first class today to a Mama in Canada. I marked it as a gift, will she have to pay a fee once she gets it too? I hope not.
No, if it is marked as a gift they don't charge duty. Otherwise, it seems random. I have never been charged duty from anything I have gotten from DS mamas but I only know of one who told me she marked it as a gift.

Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 07:10 PM   #12
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by champatlife View Post
so you guys have to pay additional fees on top of what we spend to ship to you?

I sent first class today to a Mama in Canada. I marked it as a gift, will she have to pay a fee once she gets it too? I hope not.
No, she won't, but that is actually illegal. You could be charged with mail fraud in the (admittedly unlikely) event that you were caught. If you accepted money for it, it's not a gift, and shouldn't be marked as such in their eyes. It's a nice thing you did, but we can't ask you to commit mail fraud.

Technically anything you import could be subject to customs fees and taxes, this isn't a Canada thing, this is an importing from another country thing, you guys could be dinged if you were buying from an international mama too. Generally they don't bother with the little stuff, it's just more work than it's worth to go through all the packages for $5 here, $10 there. I've noticed that it seems to be when the value of the package is $35 and up that they get picky. But even then, it's not every package they charge fees on, it seems like they pick some at random to inspect and charge fees. It's also usually not much, just taxes and a few dollars for a customs fee.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #13
deezee02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I ship USPS fist class international, if I cannot afford to lose the money, I insure with activa and build that onto the cost to ship.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:02 PM   #14
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just don't ship to Canada. I had a mama offer me $25 for an item that I had listed for $35ppd, and she wanted me to ship to Canada to boot. I don't think a lot of Canadian moms understand how much it costs to ship from here. It literally would have cost me $25+ just in shipping.
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:48 PM   #15
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computermama View Post
No, she won't, but that is actually illegal. You could be charged with mail fraud in the (admittedly unlikely) event that you were caught. If you accepted money for it, it's not a gift, and shouldn't be marked as such in their eyes. It's a nice thing you did, but we can't ask you to commit mail fraud.

Technically anything you import could be subject to customs fees and taxes, this isn't a Canada thing, this is an importing from another country thing, you guys could be dinged if you were buying from an international mama too. Generally they don't bother with the little stuff, it's just more work than it's worth to go through all the packages for $5 here, $10 there. I've noticed that it seems to be when the value of the package is $35 and up that they get picky. But even then, it's not every package they charge fees on, it seems like they pick some at random to inspect and charge fees. It's also usually not much, just taxes and a few dollars for a customs fee.
Oh wow! I had absolutely no idea. Well I sent it in a playdoh box, so it seems like a gift ETA: I won't do it again now that I know.

Shipping was higher than I "hoped" to pay, but going into it I expected the worst which seemed a lot higher than it would have been in state $14, but in the same token I would hate if I was excluded from a lot of sales on DS- I like being nice in hopes oneday someone else will extend the same.

Last edited by champatlife; 01-22-2013 at 08:55 PM.
champatlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:02 AM   #16
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Decals View Post
I just don't ship to Canada. I had a mama offer me $25 for an item that I had listed for $35ppd, and she wanted me to ship to Canada to boot. I don't think a lot of Canadian moms understand how much it costs to ship from here. It literally would have cost me $25+ just in shipping.
Yikes! I always offer to pay more for shipping right away, as I know it is just a pricey as sending from here to the US and I am happy that some ladies are willing, as I will probably have to be willing to send my stuff to the US when I finally sell of our diaper stash someday.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #17
My_Tree_Grows
Registered Users
Formerly: em**nti
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes, we do have to pay more for shipments which are sent to us across the border once they get here. That's one reason that a Canadian mama might bargain with you, obviously many people are not aware of the shipping situation in other countries, it's not personal. We get hit with additional customs fees on purchases valued over $20 and on gifts over $60.

Please never ship via UPS to Canada, many people here actually boycott them as their minimum brokerage fees are over $35 then we still have to pay additional customs fees plus taxes on top of that.

The cost to Canadian mamas of shipping domestically via Canada Post is so prohibitive that it basically kills any shot of a national market here, which is why we may be seeking international transactions. To give you an idea, shipping a small 5 ounce package within Canada, using the cheapest possible method (Regular Parcel, DC but no insurance) would cost $10.28. To ship the same package to the US (Small Packet USA Air, no DC or insurance) would cost us $10.35. Shipping the package via USPS from the US to Canada
(First Class International) even with your new rates is only $2.85 and that option allows for a larger parcel size. We're talking about like 1 newborn AIO in the smallest possible polymailer here, so you can see how we can't be competitive online sellers and maybe a tad dismissive of USPS shipping costs.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #18
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by My_Tree_Grows View Post
Yes, we do have to pay more for shipments which are sent to us across the border once they get here. That's one reason that a Canadian mama might bargain with you, obviously many people are not aware of the shipping situation in other countries, it's not personal. We get hit with additional customs fees on purchases valued over $20 and on gifts over $60.

Please never ship via UPS to Canada, many people here actually boycott them as their minimum brokerage fees are over $35 then we still have to pay additional customs fees plus taxes on top of that.

The cost to Canadian mamas of shipping domestically via Canada Post is so prohibitive that it basically kills any shot of a national market here, which is why we may be seeking international transactions. To give you an idea, shipping a small 5 ounce package within Canada, using the cheapest possible method (Regular Parcel, DC but no insurance) would cost $10.28. To ship the same package to the US (Small Packet USA Air, no DC or insurance) would cost us $10.35. Shipping the package via USPS from the US to Canada
(First Class International) even with your new rates is only $2.85 and that option allows for a larger parcel size
. We're talking about like 1 newborn AIO in the smallest possible polymailer here, so you can see how we can't be competitive online sellers and maybe a tad dismissive of USPS shipping costs.
First class to Canada doesn't allow any tracking/delivery confirmation - I had a mama not receive her stuff from me once, and I had to eat the whole transaction because I shipped first class. The only way to avoid that liability is for the payment to be sent as "gift" so the liability is shared, but I am not comfortable with that, personally. It stinks that your rates domestically are so high!
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:33 AM   #19
Tami
Registered Users
seller

FYI- with the recent USPS rate hike they are now including DC to Canada! No additional charge either (although rates to Canada basically doubled).
Tami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:33 AM   #20
Tami
Registered Users
seller

FYI- with the recent USPS rate hike they are now including DC to Canada! No additional charge either (although rates to Canada basically doubled).
Tami is offline   Reply With Quote