Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-29-2012, 05:48 PM   #11
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

Re: 4-year-old -- Sensory issues? DD won't wear cold weather clothes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamilikinsMama View Post
I guess I'm not really "worried" about sensory issues, just looking for ideas to help make the transition Last year DD wore rain boots most of the winter, so I ordered some for her to try. I can return them if she doesn't like them. At what point do I insist on a coat? Or should I just drop the subject and bring one along for when she begs for it because she's cold?
How cold does it usually get? I have let my kids go without coats/mittens/hats within reason, but now we are past the point in the weather where I can reasonably allow them to do that, or risk frostbite (we are around the equivalent of 5 F plus windchill). Bring a coat along and let her decide when she needs it.

Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 05:49 PM   #12
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamilikinsMama View Post
I guess I'm not really "worried" about sensory issues, just looking for ideas to help make the transition Last year DD wore rain boots most of the winter, so I ordered some for her to try. I can return them if she doesn't like them. At what point do I insist on a coat? Or should I just drop the subject and bring one along for when she begs for it because she's cold?
It really depends on what you do every day. If she is with you and close to home, you can let her choose because it is an easy fix if she reconsiders. My kids play outside a lot, so I strongly encourage them to wear appropriate clothing so they can play comfortably. But, if someone chooses not to wear a hat or whatever, they can always come inside and get one. If we are going a distance away from the house, I would push the issue more, or at bare minimum bring the items needed. Now, at 4, 7 and 9, they are all pretty good about wearing what they need.

I would just support her through the transition phase, try not to engage into a battle over it (because that always gets bigger than it should) and keep offering her the appropriate clothing. I would agree with PP that taking her shopping and giving her some ownership and choices is helpful, too. Of course, if it is extreme weather, where she MUST wear warm clothing, the choice can always be to not go play (i.e. "It is too cold to not wear a hat, so you are making a choice to stay inside.").

Last edited by Geckmumto3; 11-29-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #13
PaisleyDeann
Registered Users

My Mood:
This is so my daughter! She is almost 4.5 and will only wear leggings or skinny jeans. She hates any flare leg pants that go over her feet. She will wear long sleeves finally but it took her a year to finally just wear them.... She doesn't like to wear sweatshirts over long sleeves because she doesn't want the sleeves to bunch up. If she has to wear a sweatshirt she would rather wear a short sleeve shirt underneath lol.... She has no sensory problems or problems of any kind. She's just funny about her clothes. I just deal with it and she has gotten so much better!!!! She used to say " I'll be cold mom, I like the cold" but then she would shiver and be absolutely miserable and now when I tell her, " ok you're goin to be cold then" she will give in right away and wear what I have suggested. Kids are just funny sometimes

PaisleyDeann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:34 PM   #14
CamilikinsMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Sounds like my kiddo is pretty normal! Thanks everyone!
CamilikinsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:36 AM   #15
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

DD is a picky dresser as well! She will not wear jeans unless I make her and then she pouts about it. She will not wear tennis shoes at all only boots or sandals . I can't say that I blame her as I'm the same way about things on my feet. I truly hate the way it feels. I guess I'm mean but I'm not going to fight about clothes . If my kids don't want to wear their coat than so be it. They are the ones who are going to be cold (as cold as it gets in Texas) not me. Now if it was hazardous to their health than yes I would make them but they are not going to freeze to death from the van to the store. They will learn really fast that if they don't want to be cold than they need to wear their coat. The same concept goes for shoes as well. DS had a bad habit of taking his shoes off in the car after being told numerous times to keep them on. We started a rule that when we get where we are going in shoes or not. After having to walk across our gravel driveway a few times he learned real quick to keep his shoes on.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:01 AM   #16
kristy1129
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My son is like this too. Waaaaay more if he's reacting. He has food allergies and chemical sensitivities/mcs. If he's exposed to chemicals (fumes from laundry detergent, soaps, perfumes, fabric softener, etc) or food chemicals, he has major sensory issues, mood/emotional issues as well. Might be something worth looking into as a lot of behavior issues can be helped by changing food/chemical exposure. You can looking into the failsafe diet.

Trade your products for my Product Photography? My Store!
I run coops on my yahoo group! Ecojarz, Notions, Frontier, Melissa&Doug, etc...
kristy1129 is offline   Reply With Quote