Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #1
Luvingmy4boys
Registered Users
Formerly: sahmto3boys
seller

My Mood:
Need Curriculum advice....

We are currently using Time4learning and Christian Light Publications for our main curriculum. I add in extra worksheets for reinforcement. I just feel like I'm all over the place right now.

I'm thinking ahead into next year and while I'm ok with what I'm using, I'm looking into a few more options. I'd actually like something a little more structured. I had considered going back to Connections Academy but they aren't available in West Virginia at least not as a free option. I'm looking into My Father's World and Horizons. Does anyone here have experience with these programs? I'm going to be doing 1st grade next school year. I'm signing up for Reading Eggs since all 3 kids loved the trial and my 6 yr old needs a little more reading reinforcement. I have a 3, 5 and 6 yr old. My 5 and 6 yr old are actually doing the same level of work.

Just looking for some insight as to a more structured curriculum.

Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
faiths13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
On right there with you! We are starting 1st next year and I want something more structured. We are doing some different work books and they work fine but I want something that's not all over the place.
I was looking at Moving Beyond the Page, but I'm just not sure. Oh and we love Reading Eggs too!
Old 01-29-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
Luvingmy4boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need Curriculum advice....

Quote:
Originally Posted by faiths13 View Post
On right there with you! We are starting 1st next year and I want something more structured. We are doing some different work books and they work fine but I want something that's not all over the place.
I was looking at Moving Beyond the Page, but I'm just not sure. Oh and we love Reading Eggs too!

Seems like for us looking for the right curriculum is just as difficult as finding that perfect cloth diaper!
Old 01-29-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Can't help you much, but just want to say that we are enjoying MFW Adventure's for 2nd grade. I like the structure of the teacher's manual. If my older DD stays home for hs, we will use MFW for her. If I keep my dd home again next year for 3rd, I don't know what we will do! Probably Heart Of Dakota Bigger. My older ds is going to private pre-k and my toddler is staying home for preschool.
I know I couldn't do anything that was not all spelled out/planned out for me. I am too frazzled/sleep deprived/ADD/all of the above to figure it out without a lot of hand holding.

Last edited by stephcrouse; 01-29-2013 at 12:25 PM.
stephcrouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:53 PM   #5
faiths13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvingmy4boys View Post
Seems like for us looking for the right curriculum is just as difficult as finding that perfect cloth diaper!
it is so true! The MFW and HOD look great though!
Old 01-29-2013, 07:15 PM   #6
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We use mfw. Its a great program- what are your specific questions?
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:37 PM   #7
saady
Registered Users

I don't have any tips, but this is really wonderful. I am glad there is a homeschooling section on the forum.
saady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:16 AM   #8
Luvingmy4boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, I'm realizing that they enjoy and get the topics being covered if it is more interactive. They are definitely hands-on learners. They cringe at writing but maybe that's because they are a bit young (5 and 6 yrs old). If it's repetitive information, then I guess I'm looking for something that will offer a variety of ways to teach it.