Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-27-2013, 05:33 PM   #11
momto2princesses
Registered Users

Re: Weight of lo determining vbac success?

My vbac baby was a full pound bigger than my csection baby. I was also told that my pelvis was too small and that it was unlikely I could birth a baby bigger than 7 lbs. my vbac baby was 8 lbs 6 ozs with a nuchal hand. Position is so important. I would switch to a supportive provider and go for it!

Advertisement

Kirra, mom to my three crazy girls, Maebelle (12/22/07) and Adelaide (2/26/10-my HBAC baby!) and Etta (8/7/13) and expecting little squish #4 (sometime in 4/16)
momto2princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #12
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

Iwill be the odd woman out with my experience...
I was induced with ds1 because they THOUGHT he was nearing 11 pounds 10 days before my edd. He was only 8.9. Of course my body wasn't ready and they really didn't want to try pinto in since they were unsure about me birthing vaginally at all. Also, when ds was born via section, he had a weird knob on the top of his head where he was attempting to go through. It was in the wrong place, so that contributed to my lack of progress.

I was very supported in a vbac trial of labor with #2. I had a CNM, but because I was vbac the ob on call was also involved. He was super supportive of a vbac. Even more so than my CNM. I went into labor in my own, and after 12 hours and some pit help (my bp was rising so they wanted him out ASAP) I still failed to progress. I was in full labor but baby wasn't engaged. After 0 progress we did a repeat section. Ds2 was 9.4.

Afterwards I talked with the doc, and he's almost certain it's because I have an elliptical shaped pelvis. It's not too small, and my babies weren't too big. The problem was my shape. if I had been allowed to be up and moving more, with a skilled midwife or nurse, imay have been successful. But I had to be on continuous monitoring and had the iv, so moving was difficult. Anytime I got out of position the monitor would slip and the nurses would come running.

So I guess my btdt advice is its probably more your shape than baby's size. It also depends on being in a favorable position to help yourself and the baby. For me, being hooked to the bed was the worst case scenario. I do wonder what would have happened if I would have labored at home longer or had someone who could help me with positioning. I tried all I could on the ed, ball, and toilet but nothing helped.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #13
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My VBAC baby was 9lbs 8oz, my c-section was 7lbs 2oz. They were both poorly positioned but my first was in a hospital with cascade of interventions and an OB that didn't want to wait. My second was at home with midwives. Obviously my first could have been born vaginally.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:31 PM   #14
Mom2ManyBlessings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My VBAC was my biggest baby by almost a lb, and bigger then my "usual" by 3lbs! My first was 7lbs 12oz, 2nd was 5lbs 11oz, 3rd was 5lbs 2oz, 4th (My Csection) was 5lbs 1oz and my 5th (My VBAC) was 8lbs 9oz.
Honestly, he was my most difficult delivery by far. Everyone always talks about their amazing VBACs but I didnt experience that. It was hard and long, much harder then any other. Worst/hardest recovery. Idk if its because he was so big or just bc some births are more difficult then others? But it was a successful vbac.
Mom2ManyBlessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:22 AM   #15
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My sister had a successful vbac with a 10lb 13oz baby. She did say the birth itself hurt as bad as her c section but the recovery time was much shorter and easier.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:32 AM   #16
Mommy2Jax524
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My first was born via c-section because my doctor thought he was too big for delivery. He was 10 lb 5 oz at birth.
I just found out I'm pregnant with #2 and want a v-bac this time. I have been working with a doula and expressed my fear of this baby being bigger than my son since with my son I didn't even go into labor....so he could have been bigger.
Anyway, she sent me this youtube video about VBACs and most of the babys born via VBAC were bigger than the babies born vie c-section. It's a quick video.
Check it out:
Mommy2Jax524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:17 PM   #17
thekuligs
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I VBA2C my biggest baby. She was a full 5oz more than my unnessisary c/s
Mom to: Clover (9) Violet (8), Twins; Scarlet & Ryland (6) & Thistle (2) #6 DUE Jan 2016 I write romance novels!
thekuligs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:21 AM   #18
Mcorey41
Registered Users
seller

My vbac baby was five ounces bigger than my section baby and almost two full weeks late.
Mcorey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:25 AM   #19
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan1212
I don't believe my first c-section was necessary -- it was the result of a cascade of unnecessary interventions. Basically I was induced for no reason, baby was malpositioned, I was immobile due to the epidural, and my OB's shift was ending . . .

This was me. My first was born at 7lbs 2oz, my VBAC baby was 9lbs 8oz born at home.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:27 AM   #20
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

My vbac baby was nearly 2-lbs bigger than my c-sec baby.
mommypockets is offline   Reply With Quote