Closed Thread Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-31-2013, 05:31 PM   #141
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Deciding not to breast feed in advancei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
She had a birth injury that prevented her from sucking properly, which also left her very susceptible to infection. She had what they call an infant feeding disorder (not to be confused with an eating disorder). Despite OT daily for most of her early life, she never was able to suck/swallow. I tube fed her my milk until we were able to wean off. She was unable to swallow any solid foods, ad due to the injury, infant formula could have cause a serious infection. I struggled with ppd, ptsd, and still have birth anxiety. I don't care to pour my raw emotions out here so guilt ridden mothers can belittle my efforts. I did the best I could and I'm proud. I you're happy with your choice to use a sub standard infant feeding method, then so be it. Don't look down on those of use that wouldn't take no for an answer.
? I'm not sure why I'm receiving the heat at the end of your story, but thank you for sharing, I've never heard of such a situation. Sounds stressful, to say the least. I'm glad she's healthy now

Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 05:33 PM   #142
Hope4More
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris
Explain/ links?
My explanation is earlier in this post. On my phone, its page 5.

Soryr fro typos. Setn by iPhone.
I have given my cross to Jesus, who has a special talent for overcoming them, even if it means giving His own life...
Old 01-31-2013, 05:33 PM   #143
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris

What does she/did she have that she required breast milk for past the first year?
Geez, there are MANY issues that require BM past a year. My ydd had a heart defect that caused her whole GI tract to be immature and she was unable to digest any food until about 18 months. She had surgery at 15 months. Now at 27 months 75-85% of her daily intake is BM. For many children BM is a magical thing. It is so readily digested and full of nutrients and can be life saving.
I realize that there are other ways to feed sick children. This is just my experience.
Happy to be again after a bit of a break
Old 01-31-2013, 05:35 PM   #144
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDahlia

See, I never knew that. I have read all your posts and this is the first time I've been able to relate to you. Thank you for sharing your story. I apologize for my comments about your daughter when I made my comment.
It's fine, I am easily crushed by re-opening a nasty emotional wound. I felt like a failure even providing tube fed milk. I have a hard time with the loss of such a beautiful relationship with my oldest. I am currently nursing my second on demand at 18m and I cherish every moment. I remember the shun I felt in the LLL group, even with my daughter being "breastfed". It hurts, but it's no reason to take your hurt out on others. I was incredibly jealous of people nursing, it used to break my heart.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:35 PM   #145
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliz7 View Post
Geez, there are MANY issues that require BM past a year. My ydd had a heart defect that caused her whole GI tract to be immature and she was unable to digest any food until about 18 months. She had surgery at 15 months. Now at 27 months 75-85% of her daily intake is BM. For many children BM is a magical thing. It is so readily digested and full of nutrients and can be life saving.
I realize that there are other ways to feed sick children. This is just my experience.
That is terrifying, what if you can't make milk????
Old 01-31-2013, 05:35 PM   #146
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Meh. I have smelled infant formula, it's disgusting. I would feel ashamed of myself if I fed my baby genetically modified food byproducts as their sole source of intake. That said, I tend to be an overachiever. I'll support breastfeeding as much as possible, because, it is and always will be far superior. It's a shame that [ideal human] nutrition comes second to so many.
It's a shame that second is apparently not good enough for you. That's got to be hard to deal with.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:35 PM   #147
madebymommy
Banned - User Requested
seller

My Mood:

I did both FF and EBF... this is all I have to say about that.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:36 PM   #148
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
Women don't normally kill themselves or babies from PPD. What you're referring to is PPP - Postpartum Psychosis, which is rare.

I don't think she meant that as an attack to those how formula feed, she was just saying her opinion on *herself*. I had PPD and formula fed my first, I have always regretted it and do feel bad for it. But that doesn't mean I judge others for using formula.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
Yes I know. I was just stating that *most* women with PPD do not commit suicide or harm their children. As someone who had PPD it bothers me when people make those comments when they are normally referring to the very rare case of PPP. People get the two mixed up a lot.

To the bolded I'm not sure if you're referring to opinions I made or to ones a PP made. Because I dont' judge those who formula feed, I just didn't want people to mix up PPD and PPP.
I actually really appreciate you explaining that difference. I had no clue that was the difference! With that said, there is a history in my family of MANY women committing suicide 2-6 months after having a baby and being told they just had the blues and would come out of it. It is not rare in my family at all. I realize that this has very little to do with breast feeding and the OP but I learned something I consider very valuable to me so thank you.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:39 PM   #149
GreenDahlia
Registered
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
It's fine, I am easily crushed by re-opening a nasty emotional wound. I felt like a failure even providing tube fed milk. I have a hard time with the loss of such a beautiful relationship with my oldest. I am currently nursing my second on demand at 18m and I cherish every moment. I remember the shun I felt in the LLL group, even with my daughter being "breastfed". It hurts, but it's no reason to take your hurt out on others. I was incredibly jealous of people nursing, it used to break my heart.
I know the feelings you are describing all too well. Thank you for sharing.
Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
~Mae West
Old 01-31-2013, 05:42 PM   #150
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4More View Post
I have an idea. Lets meet, ff can stand in one line, bf can stand in another line, and we can just take punches at each other?

I keep seeing posts about being able to provide food that is, to steal the words of a pp, far superior. It would be best to keep in mind that despite your best research and intentions, breast milk is not always best. Mine would have CAUSED disorders. PCOS affects 1 in 5 women. I hate to think how many of our next generation will be infertile or have the heartbreaking struggles of recurrent loss because they were exposed to excess hormones during infancy because moms felt either pressured to bf or because the results of medical research weren't publicized because "breast is best" and so women simply weren't aware they were even harming their children.

But alas, I'm lazy, uneducated, and don't deserve more children of want the ones I have. How dare you?

Soryr fro typos. Setn by iPhone.
Are you saying moms who nurse when they have PCOS will give it to their daughter? Or are you saying you have an excessive of the hormone that can cause PCOS, and so therefor you don't nurse? Not trying to be snarky, just curious what you mean in the bolded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimy72 View Post
I actually really appreciate you explaining that difference. I had no clue that was the difference! With that said, there is a history in my family of MANY women committing suicide 2-6 months after having a baby and being told they just had the blues and would come out of it. It is not rare in my family at all. I realize that this has very little to do with breast feeding and the OP but I learned something I consider very valuable to me so thank you.
So sorry to hear about women in your family experiencing that.
Closed Thread