Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-31-2013, 04:34 PM   #11
noahs naturally
Registered Users
seller

I have a MacBook Air - love it! It's so lightweight and portable, and since I get interrupted a zillion times by the kids, I like being able to close it and have it wake up quickly to right where I left off when I open it again. The only thing is that it doesn't have an optical drive (for discs), so you'd have to plug in an external one if needed. I usually skip disc software and download straight from websites anyway, so I've been able to work around it. I was used to working on a PC before I got this Mac, and it really was not hard to switch; there are also classes you can take at the Apple store if you want to optimize the functionality of all the features the Mac offers, but it's not necessary. I've found it to be user-friendly, and I like the gestures (using multiple fingers on the touchpad to get different displays / zooming) as well as the multiple desktops. I use it for the usual stuff - email, browsing, etc. but also do Word processing and use Adobe programs (Dreamweaver, CQ5, Acrobat Pro) on it for work. There's an iSight camera so you can FaceTime on it, too, or take Photobooth pics.

ETA Just saw that you also want it for pics later - iPhoto is great for sorting / editing them. Also, I imagine that techy people would lean more towards Macs. Professional all web designers all use Macs, and there are fewer viruses...

Advertisement

Last edited by noahs naturally; 01-31-2013 at 04:38 PM.
noahs naturally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:57 PM   #12
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Buying a new laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahs naturally View Post

ETA Just saw that you also want it for pics later - iPhoto is great for sorting / editing them. Also, I imagine that techy people would lean more towards Macs. Professional all web designers all use Macs, and there are fewer viruses...
I just wanted to add a comment on viruses, I know so many people think you can't get viruses on Macs, worse I have talked to Mac users who skipped virus protectors cause "Macs don't get viruses", but Macs can and do get viruses. Macs get less because they use different software, in the past those who created viruses went to PC viruses cause they owned PCs and more people own them, but Macs are becoming targeted more, if they get more popular, the bad guys get more bang for their buck, if they get more poular we will see more and more Mac specific viruses.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #13
wonton
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairycat View Post

I just wanted to add a comment on viruses, I know so many people think you can't get viruses on Macs, worse I have talked to Mac users who skipped virus protectors cause "Macs don't get viruses", but Macs can and do get viruses. Macs get less because they use different software, in the past those who created viruses went to PC viruses cause they owned PCs and more people own them, but Macs are becoming targeted more, if they get more popular, the bad guys get more bang for their buck, if they get more poular we will see more and more Mac specific viruses.
Bingobangoboingo!

We are a dell family.
My dh is the lead software (engineer) architect for 3m in Austin and he won't touch Mac.

My brother has a mac and the interface felt weird to me, I thought since I was a lefty/creative type id dig it. Apparently it doesn't work that way. Hehe

I love my dell.

He thought about buying me the laptop/tablet but it's $1600, I told him that's crazy I don't need anything that expensive. Lol
It looks cool but not at that price.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #14
omgoodgravy
Registered Users

My Mood:

We got DD a laptop for Xmas and I hate the windows 8 interface!!!!!!
This alone is pushing me much closer to the Mac. The laptops I terrace is set up just like the phone but hers is not touch screen and just setting up Skype for her last night was enough to send me CRAZY!!
omgoodgravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #15
Rockinmama24
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgoodgravy
This alone is pushing me much closer to the Mac. The laptops I terrace is set up just like the phone but hers is not touch screen and just setting up Skype for her last night was enough to send me CRAZY!!
We bought a new desktop for the kids the other day & we LOVE the windows 8. I'm actually going to upgrade our other 2 to it.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 02-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #16
wonton
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgoodgravy View Post
My dh put W8 on my laptop recently, I just keep it on the desktop.

I admit it is different and will take some adjustment for me, but that alone is not enough for me to switch to a mac.

Sorry it was so difficult.