Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-01-2013, 10:02 AM   #1
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Need thoughts for my poor "puppy"

Something is wrong with Blue and I am worried. This morning she threw up in her crate which is not totally uncommon for her (both of the little dogs do it from time to time before breakfast or just at random when they get excited). For those who don't know Blue and her sister Nimby are 5 year old Chi/terrier/something mixes dh and I took in as foster dogs with their whole litter and mama dog at 1week old. We wound up keeping Blue and Nimby. They had a very rough start but they are doing well now. Blue has a luxating patella (not uncommon in small dogs) and some seasonal allergies but is generally pretty healthy. This morning she was acting odd just hovering around my feet and then I noticed the smears of blood on the floor. I thought she had torn a toe nail so I rolled her over to check and it was coming from her bum (I know TMI). She is spayed (since 6months old) and it is not coming from her vulva but definitely from her bum. I can't drive, I am stuck here alone with the boys until dh gets home. I am so worried about her. She is bleeding bright red blood though not too heavily. I don't know what is wrong with her. The only thing I can imagine is that she ate a stick and it punctured something. She is so small and helpless. Luckily dh is off work today because he messed up his shoulder at roller derby practice last night but he is at urgent care getting it examined and I don't know when he will be back. I have Blue put up in the small crate alone so she can rest and not make things any worse, I don't know what else to do. Nimby is freaking out because she can't be with her sister but I can't risk it. I'm just so worried about my little girl and Kearnan is so upset, she is his little buddy.

Advertisement

iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
mommyinthesun
Registered Users
seller
seller

Aww I hope you can get her seen soon! I agree that it sounds like she ingested something.
Our AB had a piece of rawhide lodged in his intestine at 4months old. I didn't know that until after I woke up to find him in vomit, lethargic, and pale/white+ice cold gums. It was very scary!
Positive thoughts!
mommyinthesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Need thoughts for my poor "puppy"

I'm so sorry My dog ate an entire corn on the cob wrapped in foil once, and he did bleed a bit but upon examination the vet said he would be okay, and he was. So, it is possible for their to be an okay outcome. I hope everything is okay.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

Hope you can get her to the vet soon. Poor pup.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

uh oh. Has she been wormed? Worms can lie dormant in mama-dog and pass to the babies.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #6
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Oh, no!! I hope you can get her seen soon and they can help her.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
hhilgen2
Registered Users
seller

Well, the good news is that digested blood would make the stool tarry and black, so it's likely that the bleeding is from further down the GI tract. Could be an impacted anal gland that's ruptured? Could be stress colitis? Just keep her comfy until DH gets home and can get her to the vet. Good luck!
hhilgen2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #8
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you all for the thoughts and well wishes. Dh returned from urgent care, no break for him just a bad sprain so he is going to be in a sling for at least a week. He and Kearnan just got back from the vet with Blue and it is just an anal gland rupture. The vet gave her some pills and a liquid med and said she should be fine soon. She was looking a bit better by the time they left for the vet and she is looking a bit perkier already (probably from all the Kearny cuddles).
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #9
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just experienced sadness and happiness all in the span of a few seconds!

Sorry your poor gal was hurting. SO happy to hear she is doing better

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote