Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-01-2013, 03:12 PM   #1
nannyinsanity
Registered Users
seller

Downsizing help!

I live in a triplex, top floor (there's a bsmt apt & 1st floor below me) with 3 small bedrooms, living, kitchen, and huge sunporch. I don't have kids of my own, but my nephew stays with me 3 days per week while his parents work -- his toddler bed, changing table, cloth stash & toys take up 1 bedroom. The other bedrooms are in use as my home photography studio and master. None of the bedrooms is larger than 11x13. The sunporch is the biggest room, but not usable in extreme hot or cold (most of his big toys stay out there).

I have the opportunity to move to the 1st floor apartment, which has huge rooms (the living room is big enough for the photo studio and living space, and the bedroom has 3 closets) and is $100 less per month, which I need. But that's the catch -- one bedroom, and my nephew is getting ready to start coming 4 days per week. There's a walk through dining room that I won't need to use since the kitchen is eat-in, though. I'm getting rid of a LOT of baby stuff I've been holding on to, but I don't know what to do about sleeping space for the kiddo. I'm considering selling his toddler bed & getting an air mattress, but I'll still have his chest of drawers & changing station to deal with. Thankfully there's a sunporch with this unit, though about half the size, is still generous enough to be a playroom for him! Suggestions?!

Advertisement

Cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, breastfed-advocating, future-foster-parenting, art-making, mic-rocking, pro-photographing, world-traveling, thrifting fashionista NANNY extraordinaire to C (11/2008) and G (5/2010). ISO/IHA
nannyinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:36 AM   #2
jessica377
Registered Users
seller

Re: Downsizing help!

Is he only there during day? If so toddler bed could go in your bedroom. Could one closet in bedroom hold his chest of drawers and stuff? I just change my baby on bed, so could live without changing table. Personally I would keep his bed and put in bedroom or corner of living room.
jessica377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
nannyinsanity
Registered Users
seller

Yes, he's there just during the daytime -- 8am-3pm (at which point we leave my house, go pick up my other nanny kid at school, and go to his house). I didn't think about a chest in a closet! I'll definitely look into that... I'm thinking of destashing most of what's in the drawers of the chest, over time. I'm slightly concerned with taking up one of the closets. I neglected to remember that those are the ONLY closets in the house.
Cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, breastfed-advocating, future-foster-parenting, art-making, mic-rocking, pro-photographing, world-traveling, thrifting fashionista NANNY extraordinaire to C (11/2008) and G (5/2010). ISO/IHA
Old 02-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
loganzmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Could you set him up a bedroom in the dining room some how maybe block off a section or make a mini wall with book case for his bedroom? I am planning on using an antique dresser for a tv stand in the living room(it has 3 big drawers) before I used it for a changing table ( in living room as well) & had my cloth diapers & other CD supplies in it ( & Probably will keep trainers in it til he is finished with them) could you do something like that? Or downsize the stuff in his dresser & get a smaller one? Also you could get plastic underbed containers to keep his stuff in when he isnt there & just pull out when he is? They would probably fit under his toddler bed as well for extra storage.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #5
jessica377
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganzmama View Post
Also you could get plastic underbed containers to keep his stuff in when he isnt there & just pull out when he is? They would probably fit under his toddler bed as well for extra storage.
Great idea!
jessica377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #6
wasCarmel23
Registered Users
seller

Can you go through his toys and put some away? And then if you don't use them permanently get rid of them?

And move to changing him on the floor/ bed instead of the dresser? We keep all of my baby's stuff in a bin under the bed...

We are doing a major downsize so I am here for inspiration!
wasCarmel23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #7
nannyinsanity
Registered Users
seller

These ideas are really getting my mind going! I lived in a big, open-plan loft before this; I forgot that I had his changing station on a big industrial wire rack before (with an inch of padding under him)! That same rack can definitely hold his toys and diapers (in bins or crates) on the two lower shelves, and I can downsize the clothing dresser to fit easily in a closet in my room since the bottom two drawers are full of prefolds haha.

I'm still muddling through the bed situation. I am planning to put a small futon in that room as well. I have nowhere else to put it, and I'd rather do away with the toddler bed than an adult seating/guest sleeping option. It's a pain in the booty to fold out every day (and would block the kitchen door) but it's just his size, lengthwise, when it's folded. Maybe he'll like sleeping on that!
Old 02-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #8
sydney
Registered Users

Since he is only there during the day, can't he nap in your bed?
sydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #9
nannyinsanity
Registered Users
seller

My bed's three and a half feet off the floor (giant canopy bed, I can JUST put my bum on the edge while standing)... I don't trust that he'd be able to get down safely by himself, or not fall off the side by the wall and get stuck or hurt. And honestly, while he's napping, that's usually MY place to relax with a book or my laptop.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:21 AM   #10
babykp08
Registered Users
seller

If your bed is high off the floor, could you put the mattress from his toddler bed under your bed? Then you could pull it out when you need it for naptime (like a trundle) and sell or donate the frame. It might not be less of a pain than pulling out the futon though. I agree with the idea of getting rid of the changing table. You can change a diaper anywhere! Are you keeping clothes for him at your house or does he bring his own? If it's just diapers and toys could you fit them all on the industrial shelf and maybe an under bed storage next to the mattress? Then you get to retain your closets for you!