Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #11
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Phone scam, I think.

Yep definitely. The unavailable number wouldn't phase me - some collections companies use call blockers to keep people from knowing who's calling until they pick up, but the fact that there was no personal information or bank information used in the call and you immediately were supposed to enter in your personal information would be a giant red flag.

I second calling a news station. Older people aren't necessarily net savvy (obviously there are exceptions, but that is the rule) and many keep up with their daily news either through local papers or local news broadcasts. I'd contact both.

Advertisement

Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #12
jpabruzzese
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgirlohboyohno View Post
I have also received texts that my account had been suspended and to call a number...then whe you call the number you get the same kind of options....total scam
I just had this yesterday! I called my own bank just to make sure and they said scam.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #13
ohgirlohboyohno
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpabruzzese View Post
I just had this yesterday! I called my own bank just to make sure and they said scam.
Yeah, my bank said...we don't send you texts and we don't use an automated system for suspected fraud or suspicious activity....it would be a real person.

NEW Giftable Innotab2 players FS (pink and blue) here
ohgirlohboyohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #14
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

It's a scam.

I got a different one the other day. I was a real person @ unavailable #. They told me there was a $3 hospital bill about to go to collections for my DH. (Phone is in his name and they knew his name.) They said it was probably just a lab bill. I asked what hospital as they said they were calling from a hospital. They told me one where my phone # is out of state....where we have not lived in 3 years! They were asking "security questions" like date of birth and social. (Thank goodness I don't know DH's social by heart.) I was in the filing cabinet to get it when I asked what hospital etc. I immediately told the person it must be wrong because we don't live in that state and they hung up on me. (I called the real hospital and there is no "old" bill.)
I was about to give my DH social AND our debit card # to pay it. (Granted.. it was an HSA debit card but still!) I did tell them DH's date of Birth.
I felt really stupid. If we didn't live in a different state... I probably would not have caught on and gave them all the info. they needed to be an identity thief.

So really... ALWAYS GET A CALL BACK #. Verify the person is who they say before giving out info. Scammers are smart. (I know not to give out info... I was just trying to take care of a silly $3 bill that must have went overlooked before it went to collections. It was ONLY $3! It seemed so plausible.)

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #15
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia View Post
It's a scam.

I got a different one the other day. I was a real person @ unavailable #. They told me there was a $3 hospital bill about to go to collections for my DH. (Phone is in his name and they knew his name.) They said it was probably just a lab bill. I asked what hospital as they said they were calling from a hospital. They told me one where my phone # is out of state....where we have not lived in 3 years! They were asking "security questions" like date of birth and social. (Thank goodness I don't know DH's social by heart.) I was in the filing cabinet to get it when I asked what hospital etc. I immediately told the person it must be wrong because we don't live in that state and they hung up on me. (I called the real hospital and there is no "old" bill.)
I was about to give my DH social AND our debit card # to pay it. (Granted.. it was an HSA debit card but still!) I did tell them DH's date of Birth.
I felt really stupid. If we didn't live in a different state... I probably would not have caught on and gave them all the info. they needed to be an identity thief.

So really... ALWAYS GET A CALL BACK #. Verify the person is who they say before giving out info. Scammers are smart. (I know not to give out info... I was just trying to take care of a silly $3 bill that must have went overlooked before it went to collections. It was ONLY $3! It seemed so plausible.)
My husband and I never give our socials to anyone over the phone. When they ask, and they ask a lot! we normally ask to proceed without providing the number. Some would then ask for the last 4 numbers only, if they HAVE to have the number to continue.