Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-12-2012, 05:04 PM   #11
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Vegan Meal Planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiyana4969 View Post
another DH approved meal is like PP said, meatless fajitas. We use portabella mushrooms in place of the meat. I don't care for mushrooms so I choke it down but DH fawns over it everytime.
I don't like mushrooms but dh really does so they are always a good meat sub for him. I usually just leave them off my fajita and load mine up with extra avocado. I LOOOOVVVE avocado.

Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 08:19 AM   #12
breefawn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We eat a lot of beans and rice our favorites are black bean chili, enchiladas, and fajitas there's an awesome vegan stroganoff recipe at luxe hippy, too. I just sub portabella a for the seitan
Old 11-16-2012, 01:40 PM   #13
MissyMia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I vegan meal plan with my 4 vegan cookbooks. I seriously sit down and write 7 meals down and post them on the fridge. I only shop for the ingredients needed for those along with fruit, veggies, and nuts for snacks. Then cereals and soymilks for breakfast.

I try so hard not to waste veggies, because that is what seems to go to waste. I started freezing what I don't use. One good meal at the end of the week for using up veggies is a fried rice. We make Tofu Fried Rice from "Vegan on the Cheap" and I throw in all our leftover veggies. I have young kids too, so I cut up all the veggies super small so they don't notice them as much, and don't complain.

I also recommend Everyday Happy Herbivore cookbook. Meals are healthy and fast and easy. I just ordered her Happy Herbivore cookbook too.

Oh and I try to make dh and I salads a few nights a week and I chop up lots of veggies super small to go on top. For some reason small veggies taste better then big ones, even if it is the same amount. Guess my kids are on to something.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:28 PM   #14
Teresa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Subbing. Great links and information.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:33 AM   #15
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We just made some butternut squash quesadillas. Dh liked them I was a little iffy on them, but I don't normally like sweet flavors in savory food like that. I really don't like sweet potato and bean enchiladas. Anyway I don't think i could have eaten it without the cheese in it and dh said he wouldn't have been able to eat it if it had been the only thing we had (we ate it with veggie fajitas)

Its pretty simple.
saute onion and garlic in olive oil. Cook the squash. Puree squash, onion and garlic together. put on one half of a tortilla top with pepper jack cheese and diced red peppers, fold and cook. I think you could put cheese on your dh's if he wants it and sub the cheese with mashed beans for you. Obviously you could add other veggies to it to- this was just the basic recipe. Next time I will had black beans and probably a can of green chilies and see if I can like it without the cheese.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:27 PM   #16
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizxvx View Post
I love Happy Herbivore! I'm actually thinking about just purchasing a few of her meal plans because I'm thinking I might be too lazy to do it on my own. Has one bought them? Worth the money?

The reason it's so tricky is that my husband is not vegan and will rarely try/enjoy vegan meals, so each night we end up making 2 separate meals or we just go out to eat. It's starting to really kill our budget. We don't even have a weeks worth of meals that we both enjoy.

I might just have to him go through my cookbooks and mark what he's willing to try. I'll look into the recipes posted. Thanks!
Oh I am curious how this works for you. My husband & I have a similar issue. We don't eat out frequently at all (and I'm not vegan) but we usually end up eating different things these days.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #17
cody82414
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Bump
Old 01-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #18
ElizasMommy606
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Easy noodles:
1 mix bag of red/yellow/orange peppers
Onion
Garlic
Spaghetti sauce
Mushrooms
Pasta
I sauteed the peppers, onion, garlic and mushrooms then add spaghetti sauce to it and simmer while pasta boils.
Serve together. So easy and so good.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:50 PM   #19
lyn1270
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

love all these great links & ideas! i'm vegan, but kids/DH aren't. i love trying to sneak in a vegan meal or 2 when they aren't lookin' just to see how it goes
lyn1270 is offline   Reply With Quote