Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-01-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
jacandy
Registered Users
seller

Help please!!

Hello! I desperately need some help! We just moved from OH to FL and I took oldest ds out of public school. He wants to try homeschooling the rest of his 1st grade year. We were going to try an online program that's based through the county but I still haven't heard back from them and he's been out for 2wks. I do have some workbooks for him to keep him busy but am looking at sonlight possibly. I just have no idea where to find out requirements for the state or local district or how all that works. I search on the Internet and end up confused. Maybe im Iooking too hard?

Advertisement

http://www.iheartfrugality.com
jacandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
jacandy
Registered Users
seller

Also I know this is way far into the future but do homeschooled children come out diplomas or geds? Does it really make a huge difference between them?

Old 02-01-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help please!!

State laws can be found at HSLDA. I think it's hslda.org.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
jacandy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor
State laws can be found at HSLDA. I think it's hslda.org.
Thank you!

Old 02-02-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
jacandy
Registered Users
seller

Also any one with first graders:
What do you do for curriculum and how much time per day do you spend on it?

Old 02-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #6
Designsbybequi
Registered Users
seller

I have a 1 st grader in Florida. She's in a parttime school/homeschool program. She's basically learning:
Math facts- addition/ subtraction to the tens family. Now starting double digits. Clock, money, calendar, thermometer, measuring basics with rulers and liquids (cups,etc).

The book "what your 1st grader needs to know' would help. You'll be ahead of the game if you homeschool. The public schools here seem way behind. I homeschooled K and it made her way advanced according to the public school system. I didn't even do much that year either.

Science- bugs and animals
History- basic American history like Columbus and Indians , using a compass and reading maps
English- a complete sentence and it's parts and punctuation
Handwriting- varies per child's physical development- she is now writing a couple sentences in a journal and practicing complete sentences.

Hope this helps! We do three hours a day on homeschool days. I am stuck with what the school tells me I need to use with curriculum. It would take me half that time if I could pick my own and I thinks she'd learn more too! The awesome thing about homeschooling is you can tailor it to your child so you need less time and work and they learn a ton! Keep it all fun and interesting and it saves you work.

Total Math 1- seems to have all we are learning in it. Add double digit addition. You can use hooked on phonics reading and explode the code workbooks. I hear rod and staff math is good but never used it. We use Abeka for phonics at the school and it's an excellent program. I'm very impressed with it and their spelling workbook.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #7
Designsbybequi
Registered Users
seller

You can find an umbrella school to get a diploma from. A friend of mine used Horizon and another a local school. You need to send a letter of intent to homeschool to the school board and get the student evaluated by a teacher one time that year. You need to save his work for three years I think in case you are chosen to be audited. Double check all this but I think those are the basics. Most of the homeschool high schoolers here dual enroll in the community college and graduate with college credit! I can't answer GED questions for you though. It doesn't seem to inhibit any of them from going on to college.