Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-31-2013, 09:17 AM   #1
S+JsMom
Registered Users

Stuck in Funky-town - laundry help needed

So, my DS's diapers are just really funky. I would say 90% funk with a hint of ammonia stink. I have mostly natural fiber fitteds/prefolds, but there are some microfiber fitteds and soakers, too.

I have a HE front loading washing machine. I had been using Tiny Bubbles, which wasn't perfect, but wasn't terrible. When I ran out, I picked up some Rockin' Green at my local store (just the regular type). When I first did a soak in it the diapers were awesome. But as I started using it more often I found that if I didn't do a soak (and I am talking a soak in my sink because the washing machine soak didn't cover the diapers enough), I would get funky diapers. I tried adding more detergent. I tried adding Calgon (which I had been using with Tiny Bubbles because I have water that tends to be harder). I read reviews that said that RNG was very bad for a bunch of people. I picked up Ecos Free and Clear at the store to give that a try. I am using the recommended amount. I was having some staining issues so I added OxyClean one wash cycle. Just not coming out of the wash smelling clean and they are really funky when little one pees in them.

Tried re-soaking in RNG...did an overnight soak and they smelled even more funky. Since I am trying to solve this problem I let the pail fill up and today went to run a really full load (hoping for more agitation and cleaning ability) and the diapers not only smell funky, but have an almost mildew-y smell after running a cold wash (where I added a bit of Ecos detergent to try to deal with this funk). Currently running a long, hot soak/wash/extra rinse cycle with RNG again and some Calgon. I don't know what else to do or to try.

1. Any tips on how to fix things that I can do easily and with what I can get locally?
2. Any recommendations of awesome detergents/supplies that I should order to use moving forward?

Advertisement

S+JsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Stuck in Funky-town - laundry help needed

Tide. Just get yourself some Tide. We use the HE regular scented version and it has kept all the stinkies away.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
Spunkify
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've heard that can happen with RnG.

I would make sure to get all the RnG out and go back to the detergent that was working for you.

Spunkify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Go to the store and pick up something with enzymes. Tide, Gain etc. Rinse then do a hot wash with the recommended amount of detergent, 1/4 cup of bleach, extra rinse.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #5
S+JsMom
Registered Users

Anyone tried Lulu's? It was recommended to me by a vendor when I was asking about other detergent options (EcoSprout and soap nuts).
Old 02-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #6
rainbowgirl28
Registered Users
seller

I agree with just switching to Tide...
rainbowgirl28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #7
S+JsMom
Registered Users

I have used Tide with CDing my older kids and it definitely had its share of issues, too. I didn't have the barnyard funk smell, but would get terrible ammonia stink (and burnt ammonia bums). I am hoping to go more natural with this little guy's diapers as long as possible. Today I will strip the diapers by soaking them in OxyClean in my big sink tub and then washing, washing, washing. Right now just washing the diapers so that they are fully clean before doing the soak and I added extra Ecos detergent to get things very disinfected. Either way I figure I need to get back to a baseline before I try anything new.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #8
KimA
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Lulu's I heard is good and so is Ruby Moon! I rinse all of my diapers in warm water before I even put them in the pail. It helps a lot to cut down on smells and makes it easier to get the diapers really clean. I also separate my natural fibers from my synthetic fibers and wash the synthetics, fleece, microfiber, etc in Penguin Sport Wash. It really does make a world of difference!
KimA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:28 PM   #9
lavender dragonfly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Step #1: Strip

Step #2: Tide.

Natural detergents are fine for regular clothes but for peed-in and pooped-in cloth diapers that have been sitting for over 24 hours need something stronger to cut through that and get them clean. Make your life easier, please use Tide. We have been using cloth 100% of the time and have never, not once had stinkies.... And we've only ever used Tide.

To strip.... Turn up your water heater for the next day. Fill up your bathtub full with HOT water. Put all your washed diapers in, shut the shower curtain and the door to keep it hot and let those babies soak all night long; every couple hours swish the diapers around. In the morning take out half and do a quick hot wash followed by a long hot long wash with 2 cups of vinegar. Next.... Put a packet of RLR in and Tide original powder (try to always use the powder, it rinses out easier) and do a long hot wash, followed by another long hot wash and an extra rinse. Then do the same with the other half that is soaking in the bath tub. It seems like a lot, but you gotta get that stink out and you need lots of hot water to do that.

After that, wash every other day, wet bags are fine, but wet pail your night time diapers. When you wash:
1. Quick cold rinse with 1/2c vinegar (the vinegar neutralizes the pee and makes your diapers easier to clean)
2. Long hot wash with Tide to the one line
3. Quick warm wash with a cap of Ecover

Every six months or so I do a nighttime bathtub soak routine above--- as a preventative. Stay ahead of the stinkies and they will never catch up with you. Using a front loader and cloth diapers requires a little extra work, but in the end I wouldn't trade my front loader for anything, LOVE IT!

Last edited by lavender dragonfly; 02-03-2013 at 12:39 PM.
lavender dragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #10
iheartua07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I found my stink issues came from the detergent not completely rinsing out. I still had bubbles after two rinses. I rinsed and rinsed and rinsed in warm water running short wash cycles without detergent to get them completely rinsed. I use Allen's which has worked well for me aside from the rinsing issues. I also add a scoop of oxy to every load now because of its antibacterial which will also help with stink. If you have to use bleach, add vinegar to your rinse to neutralize the bleach.

The thread below has some excellent information about wash routines. GL!

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1040786
iheartua07 is offline   Reply With Quote