Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #21
Jennix
Registered Users

Re: one size diapers best for newborns?

Congrats on your pregnancy! It's so great you're looking into CDing! I'm a FTM too (May 2013) and finding myself sooooooooo into CDing. I'd suggest trying out youtube. A lot of women post video reviews of their diapers on their babies. You'll be able to see what diaper style and size you think will work best. I'm starting with G Diapers tiny Gpants, but only about a half dozen since my little guy won't fit for long and then moving to all in twos/hybrids like alvas and flips. Good Luck momma!

Advertisement

Jennix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #22
Mandan914
Registered Users
seller

I had a 8lb newborn and we started out with 6 Echo Softbums and 3 nb sized diapers.. I had used our softbums on our older son and had heard that can work on NB too, so I thought I would give em a shot. They ended up being our favorite fitting diaper and I have since sold all my other diapers and use them pretty much exclusively on our DS2 who is now 9 months and they are still our favorite best fitting diaper!

I have a bunch of pictures on my blog if you want to see:
http://wherethewindblowsourfamilygoe...-report-1.html

newborns, infants, toddler, nights during pting
www.softbums.com
Mandan914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #23
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonipie View Post
It's not really about the cord stump, more so that they just won't fit a newborn well. The rise will be high, the legs would likely gape and cause leaks and they will be bulky. It all depends on what you are looking to use. I will always choose prefolds/flats and covers for newborns because IMO they work best and in that case we have been able to use them in some way all the way to PLing. A couple dozen flats are a reliable and cheap choice. We had a handful of newborn AIO that we used on two children and then sold. So newborn diapers really do serve as great purpose.
I agree.

OP: If you really don't want to buy any newborn diapers, Softbums is an option, although, you'll need probably more shells for the newborn stage than you will for when the baby is older just because newborns poop a lot and get the shells dirty fast.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #24
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandan914 View Post
I had a 8lb newborn and we started out with 6 Echo Softbums and 3 nb sized diapers.. I had used our softbums on our older son and had heard that can work on NB too, so I thought I would give em a shot. They ended up being our favorite fitting diaper and I have since sold all my other diapers and use them pretty much exclusively on our DS2 who is now 9 months and they are still our favorite best fitting diaper!

I have a bunch of pictures on my blog if you want to see:
http://wherethewindblowsourfamilygoe...-report-1.html
When your report says you use 4-6 diapers a day does that mean AI2 shells?
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #25
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We used sposies for the 1st 2 weeks of our babies life - until the cord fell off and dried up. Then, we went straight to our fuzzibunz one size elite. They fit great.

Our baby was 8 lbs 12 oz at birth abd back up to that weight when we started the fbos elites.

I'm very happy we didn't buy newborn diapers.
lady longs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #26
quinnNjesse
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwick View Post
Same here, and even though this is my last baby I did invest in some NB diapers - fitteds/covers and some AIO's. I figure if I make some of it back in resale than I am doing good (though shipping will be killer from Canada!). My kids were 6.5 and 7 lbs and were in NB sposies for quite awhile so hopefully the NB's will fit this one for the same time.
I'M IN the same situation. I hope to sell them locally, and if not in groups on DS. I refuse to ship one or two dipes. WAY too $$$. That being said I sold most of my DD's stash locally a few years ago and had no issues.
quinnNjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #27
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnNjesse View Post
I'M IN the same situation. I hope to sell them locally, and if not in groups on DS. I refuse to ship one or two dipes. WAY too $$$. That being said I sold most of my DD's stash locally a few years ago and had no issues.
Yeah, I would for sure only sell in lots. CD'ing is not popular here, but a co-worker is due 6 weeks after me, so I told her if my baby is out of them I would sell them to her!
Old 02-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #28
quinnNjesse
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwick View Post
Yeah, I would for sure only sell in lots. CD'ing is not popular here, but a co-worker is due 6 weeks after me, so I told her if my baby is out of them I would sell them to her!
Oh good, hope that works out. I'm near Toronto which has lots of people who cloth diaper, so I'm sure I will sell them. Last time I just told people to pick them up at my work in toronto. Worked out great. That being said that will mean I have to wait a year to sell them...so hopefully I can go more local this time.

quinnNjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:41 AM   #29
Mandan914
Registered Users
seller

Yea I was able to reuse the shells 1-2x ea total of 8-10 changes a day.

newborns, infants, toddler, nights during pting
www.softbums.com
Mandan914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #30
m&m&m
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingham View Post
Hi everyone,
I will be a first-time mom this fall (EDD Sept. 24) and was wondering which one-size diapers are best for newborns. I understand the benefit of newborn diapers giving room for the umbilical cord until it falls off, but are there any specific diapers that are good for newborn and up. I don't really know if I want to get a whole stash of newborn size just to have to stop using them two months later (esp. since newborns have more frequent diaper changes).
This newbie would like some help!
Generally speaking "one size" diapers are really one size fits most and are often too big (or really bulky) on a newborn since the same amount of fabric has to be there to cover a toddler's tushy too. That being said, one of the only "true" one size diapers I have found are SoftBums, I have seen them on 5lb babes and chunky toddlers. They have different sized inserts to accommodate different absorbency/trimmness needs and the slide2size (drawstring elastic) allows you to customize the fit to your baby's specific leg measurements (no in between sizing). Alternatively, going with a "two size" system also saves from having to buy several sizes and also eliminates the issue with the one size not fitting tiny babies or big toddlers (like Thirsties duo sizing)
m&m&m is offline   Reply With Quote