Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-31-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
TS8213
Registered Users

My Mood:
Thoughts on Avent double electric?

I've only ever used a Medela (borrowed from a friend) for pumping when I went back to work with my older children. I know they're good pumps. That being said, can anyone tell me anything about the Avent pump? When I go back to work I'll be working 3 days/wk, 12 hrs/day so I need a good reliable pump. I had a really hard time pumping with even the Medela, only getting an ounce or two TOTAL at time.

Any thoughts or recommendations? Maybe my pumping routine prior to going back to work stunk, so that contributed to my low supply as well. I don't really know.

Advertisement

TS8213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Thoughts on Avent double electric?

I read the reviews on this pump on Amazon before getting my Medela PISA. I think the Avent might work well for you. But when you say you only got an ounce or two total, please know that this is considered normal. According to kellymom.com, those who produce more might have an oversupply.

My DD is a month and a half and when I wake up, I can get 4 oz. Afterwards, when I pump at work, it dwindles. I pump 3 times at work and will go home with about 7 or 8 oz. She doesn't drink much when I'm gone (only 3 oz in a 12 hour period because she's reverse cycling) so I store the other half in the freezer. I also started storing milk before going back to work and pump on weekends.

I also drink lots of water, eat lots of oatmeal, and take fenugreek to make sure my supply remains adequate.

Another thing to consider is that the breast shields might be too big or too small. Medela shields come in 3 different sizes, the pump coming with the standard size.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
jemanly02
Registered Users

I have the Avent, I loved it! When I was having supply issues, the hospital pushed me into renting a Medela Symphony and I HATED that thing. I got way more milk with my Avent, and it was much more comfortable and easier to use. FWIW, I took the silicone comfort petal things out, it was just one more piece to clean, and I didn't notice any difference in comfort after taking them out.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I thought my Avent was far superior to medela - including the hospital grade medela I tried

Last edited by raymark; 01-31-2013 at 12:41 PM.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
jemanly02
Registered Users

And I love the fact that milk could not possibly ever back up in the tubes.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
1healthylady
Registered Users

I have the Avent manual. Love it and not a fan of my Ameda double electric (hand me down) pump. I get more with my Avent and have been considering getting their double electric but am hesitant about coughing up the money.

From the phone.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #7
AntonyaMarie
Registered Users

I was handed down and advent dbl electric this time with baby #4. I have used hygeia, madela (several types) and honestly I like it better. I have to say I don't have supply issues but I have no issues with this other than needing to purchase larger bottles so I can pump with out stopping. To help get you breast used to pumping I was directed to pump for 5-10 mins after I stop extracting milk and to pump regularly, and not to watch my milk drop... Works for me baby is 3 wks on Tuesday- and already have over 100oz in freezer.
AntonyaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #8
va703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have this pump and love it. Used it for a year while working with #3 and it's still going strong for #4. I prefer it to the hospital-grade medela and the ameda pumps that I've used.

Happy mama to my 4 handsome boys
va703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #9
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I used the Avent for one year while pumping for DD and loved it as much as you can love something AND hate it at the same time! Lol
Like PP I took the silicone petal things out, they were a pain and my output actually improved.
I loved never ever having to wash tubing
I liked the fact that it came in a nice bag but could easily have been put in my own bag. Actually at the end of the year one secretary said that I was very dedicated to the gym... She thought it was a gym bag :-)
I also liked the fact that it cost much less than the PISA