Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #11
momto2princesses
Registered Users

Re: Med-free birthers?

Planning a med free homebirth this time. Had every intervention in the book with #1, most of it unnecessary. #2 was a hbac. I also cussed for a decent portion. :-)

Advertisement

Kirra, mom to my three crazy girls, Maebelle (12/22/07) and Adelaide (2/26/10-my HBAC baby!) and Etta (8/7/13) and expecting little squish #4 (sometime in 4/16)
momto2princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #12
blessedwifenmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I my son was born in the hospital without any pain meds. Now that I think about it, he likely would have been a cesarean if I had gotten the epidural, because he was getting distressed during the pushing stage, and it took an hour to get him out. I don't remember, but DH says that when he was crowning, the OB told me that we had to get him out NOW, and I did it. So glad I was already in transition when I got to the hospital, or I might have caved and gotten the epi. I've heard there are inexpensive doulas in the area, so I think I'll look into that also for this time.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #13
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm hoping, my second was precipitous and med free, I had a shower/tub with jets though and the jets helped immensely. The hospital I have to use for this one isn't really med free friendly, so I'm a little concerned. There are also no doulas in the area, which is a bummer.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #14
lalakiwi7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had a sadly complicated first birth with our DD... i know everyone says they do but I did too.....

I did natural for the first 24 until my MW actually insisted I have an epi/with pit OR a c-section related to complications (bleeding, meconum, cervical regression, fetal HB fluctuations.) so I didn't ask and didn't want meds with my first but I got it all and then some.... plus a nasty forceps delivery in which I tore all the way through and had to be on bedrest for two weeks after. :*( SOOOOOOOO while I say I am planning on a med free birth as I found out with my first they don't always go as planned however I did not ask for any and am not planning it.

I totally think it's fabulous either way SERIOUSLY any one who gives birth is a ROCKSTAR!!!! but I just want to experience it all .... just because I do. It's something only I can do in the life of my child and I want to be all there. I actually cried when my MW gave me my run down.... so I am pumped to get to try again!!!
Liesl-(like Sound of Music.) ER Nurse Practitioner part time. Full time wifey to my highschool sweetheart and mommy to DS-2006 (adopted) and DD-2009 (biobaby). We love Jesus! Until the day we meet again missing our three babies 7/2011;11/2011; DS-7/2012. THANKFUL to be After 3 years and 3 losses with our #2 biobaby RAINBOW IT"S A BOY!! Expected 8/2013
lalakiwi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:01 AM   #15
mrserhabor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My first was a csection as he just wasn't coming down, decelling and I was getting a fever. My second was totally med free VBAC. Deffinately going to go for another med free VBAC bit will ask for fluids after as I got really dehydrated and was readmitted with my second. Will also have a doula! What's awesome is that my hospital will provide a doula for $100 once you are admitted to the hosp. Both my doulas where awesome, my first was with me for over 12hrs, and my second was with me for about 2-3 hrs as he came so fast!! My last birth was only about 3hrs from when labor really kicked in so curious to see if I'll have another fast one!
Old 02-04-2013, 01:39 AM   #16
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakiwi7 View Post
I had a sadly complicated first birth with our DD... i know everyone says they do but I did too.....

I did natural for the first 24 until my MW actually insisted I have an epi/with pit OR a c-section related to complications (bleeding, meconum, cervical regression, fetal HB fluctuations.) so I didn't ask and didn't want meds with my first but I got it all and then some.... plus a nasty forceps delivery in which I tore all the way through and had to be on bedrest for two weeks after. :*( SOOOOOOOO while I say I am planning on a med free birth as I found out with my first they don't always go as planned however I did not ask for any and am not planning it.

I totally think it's fabulous either way SERIOUSLY any one who gives birth is a ROCKSTAR!!!! but I just want to experience it all .... just because I do. It's something only I can do in the life of my child and I want to be all there. I actually cried when my MW gave me my run down.... so I am pumped to get to try again!!!

My first was somewhat similar. I had planned med-free. I wound up getting an epi and they checked AFTER the fact and I was already at 9cm. There was no rush to get her out-- she just came faster than anyone was expecting and was turned wrong. So I had a starburst tear with between 75 & 100 stitches and bled and could hardly walk for a couple of weeks.

I am not trying to give false hope, but my second was 10lb, 2oz and I wound up with a totally uncomplicated, med-free birth and two stitches. The moral of the story is that all births are different (as I am sure you know ) . I was terrified to have a second, but I think having him was very healing for me. <3

Last edited by AmberP; 02-04-2013 at 01:40 AM.
AmberP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #17
lalakiwi7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberP View Post

My first was somewhat similar. I had planned med-free. I wound up getting an epi and they checked AFTER the fact and I was already at 9cm. There was no rush to get her out-- she just came faster than anyone was expecting and was turned wrong. So I had a starburst tear with between 75 & 100 stitches and bled and could hardly walk for a couple of weeks.

I am not trying to give false hope, but my second was 10lb, 2oz and I wound up with a totally uncomplicated, med-free birth and two stitches. The moral of the story is that all births are different (as I am sure you know ) . I was terrified to have a second, but I think having him was very healing for me. <3
I am so hoping for that!! I literally have no expectations.... but I would love to not tear so much... that was the worst part and feeling disappointed that I had to have interventions since I was so dogmatic about NOT having any. (not for others just for me)

AND this time around my BFF is getting her doula certification as we speak so she can be my labor support. My hubby was a rockstar and she was also there for my last but wasn't my doula so we are gonna rock it this time.
Liesl-(like Sound of Music.) ER Nurse Practitioner part time. Full time wifey to my highschool sweetheart and mommy to DS-2006 (adopted) and DD-2009 (biobaby). We love Jesus! Until the day we meet again missing our three babies 7/2011;11/2011; DS-7/2012. THANKFUL to be After 3 years and 3 losses with our #2 biobaby RAINBOW IT"S A BOY!! Expected 8/2013
lalakiwi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #18
ardeur
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm planning a med free birth at home. My doula, midwives, and my husband will be attending me. This is my first child, so I have NO IDEA how it'll all work out.

You know what? I am *really* excited. So far I've had no fear or reservations. Haha... Hopefully that sticks.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #19
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would like to this time, but if I end up needing pitocin for any reason, I know there is no way I can do it. The difference between my normal contractions and pit induced contractions was ridiculous. I thought I was going to die with the medically induced contractions, and that is the birth I ended up doing without an epi because it didn't work for some reason.
s@hmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #20
happy2beamom
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm hoping number 3 if it for me I wanted no meds with DD, but the doc on call was not my favorite (i.e i had left the office a few weeks earlier crying and in an anxiety/panic attack due to her and prayed i would get one of the other 8 OB's, but alas, nope), the nurse was NOT helpful (wouldn't even talk to me or answer questions , and DH was 'tired' and 'forgot' what he was supposed to do I even reached a point before getting the epi that i asked if there was a doctor other than mine that could deliver They told me no and i went into panic mode

Anyways, does anybody have any good recommendations on how to releave back labour? Both of mine were sunny side up and I was a very tilted uterus that has to do something (around 5-6 cm for me) that makes it come into place. Oh, and DD came out in her caul with her hand beside her face

I can't get another epi this time The last time it only worked on 1/2 my body and by the time they got it so i was only feeling 2-3 pain scale on the one side i tried to go to sleep and the catheter expelled itself and i was ready to push. Now, i had so much pain meds i couldn't feel anything and it ended up being 16 hours until i could move my left leg (after the birth). Plus, i had a bruise covering 1/3 of my back. I can't do it again.