Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #11
chandlrb
Registered Users
seller

Re: Epi?

I was told that the usual policy is for VBAC mothers to have the epidural. I told the OB I would refuse it. The big day came and I had to listen to a very arrogant CRNA tell me why I was stupid for refusing. He suggested my husband sit in the corner while he talked to me, told me that all risks associated with the epi are basically non-existent, and raised his voice while telling me that I was "NOT THE AVERAGE WOMAN! YOU HAVE HAD A C-SECTION!" I am not exaggerating at all here. was the only low point of my birth story. I signed a refusal form, he left not very happy and I delivered naturally an hour later. It is your choice!

Advertisement

chandlrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:29 AM   #12
Sarahknavy
Registered Users
seller

Thanks. After talking to my dr(he says he doesn't recommend it), I feel much better. If someone at the hospital tries to pressure me, I can just said that my dr informed me not to and leave it at that. I just hope I don't have to deal with it.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:36 AM   #13
Mama2McKenna
Registered Users

My epi for my VBAC was optional. From everything I've been told it is better to not have one.

Cloth diapers - All styles and sizes!
http://hyenacart.com/stores/LookinSharpeCreations/
Mama2McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #14
carriejb
Registered Users

I think it depends on the hospital and their "rules." I've had 2 vbacs at different hospitals (both with epidurals for my sake) but neither one tried to force me to get one. With the first I showed up to the hospital at an 8 and they actually were really encouraging for me to go natural. I didn't but I appreciated how supportive the hospital was of letting me birth how I pleased.
carriejb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #15
Airyl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My doctor actually wouldn't let me have an epi, even if I wanted one. His reasoning was that pain around the incision is a warning sign of possible rupture. I switched doctors this time, and we haven't discussed it yet.

ETA: Sorry, I didn't notice that the thread was a few months old.

I am a child of God.

Last edited by Airyl; 05-14-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Airyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #16
Sarahknavy
Registered Users
seller

That's ok. I got my baby now. I ended up getting an epi after 15 hours on pitocin with no pain meds or prigression. After I got the epi, I started progressing. Slowly at first. 6 hrs to 2cm. Then .5 cm in the next 4 hrs. Then from 2.5 to 10 in the next 4. I wouldn't have been able to have my vbac without the epi.

I had a "walking epi" I could usually feel one side unless I pushed my button(which I did if I needed to sleep). My nurse said breakthrough pain is common but I was happy I could feel my body at least on one side.

Last edited by Sarahknavy; 05-14-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Sarahknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #17
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

The reason the dr's think an epidural is an even better choice for VBAC is so you don't have to be under general in the case that an emergency section becomes necessary.

Oh and congrats on getting your VBAC!
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT

Last edited by 4boys1girlforme; 05-14-2013 at 04:25 PM.
4boys1girlforme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:18 PM   #18
Sarahknavy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4boys1girlforme
The reason the dr's think an epidural is an even better choice for VBAC is so you don't have to be under general in the case that an emergency section becomes necessary.

Oh and congrats on getting your VBAC!
Yeah, I think that's what most drs use at the reason.

Thanks! I worked hard for it