Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #21
peaches330
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Have you gotten rid of too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplykarenp View Post
I don't know how you guys can manage without spare sheets, pillows and towels. What do you use when you have guests stay over? I really want to minimize my linen closet but I have guests stay over several times a year. I can't figure out how much extras to keep on hand. It really takes up alot of space.
I think minimizing is about keeping only what you need. Others are different, but for me personally, I do have some extra towels and sheets because I often need them. We are definitely not the bare minimalist type and never will be. There can be a happy medium there. But do you really need to pack your linen closet with tons of spares to have a few extra things for guests? No. Figure out what you actually NEED depending on how many guests you have at a time and then go from there. I used to cram stuff everywhere and now I have one shelf for linens and blankets and one shelf for towels, washcloths and hand towels.

Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #22
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We move a lot and a few times I've needed to rebuy years later a thing for a new house.. but that's not a big deal

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #23
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

I downsized too many of my baking dishes and ended up replacing a few.
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #24
mommyto3sweeties
Registered Users
seller
seller

Not yet, which kind of surprises me. I expected to regret getting rid of a few things but haven't needed them at all.
mommyto3sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #25
wasCarmel23
Registered Users
seller

I don't even remember what I've gotten rid of. LOL

No... so far I don't miss stuff. And if you do you can run down to good will and buy a sheet to make a ghost, get those ziplock containers for left overs... etc. You can always just get the stuff you need again as the need arises.
wasCarmel23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:16 AM   #26
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

I started this thread a while ago and it looks like it's doing good hehe. While I've gotten rid of things by the truckload I've noticed some missing things now and again. I'm a really organized person, so I know exactly where everything is, even when we have a ton of stuff. DH asked for baby oil for a strained muscle injury, and that's something we pretty much never use. Well I went to the cabinet and couldn't find it. Must have been something I tossed because there isn't anywhere else it would be. Every once in a while I come across something like that where it would have been nice to have it when we needed it.

And I still get a little flustered about using nice things for projects for the kiddo. I'm used to having lots of spare sheets or whatever, so I wouldn't mind cutting holes in. But I'm down to just one spare set in each size.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #27
photocat
Registered Users

Yep, good thread, I found my earlier reply on there but wanted to add more

As far as using good stuff for kid's projects etc, I have put our old plastic kids plates that I was getting rid of, and a cup or two, in the kids craft box. They can be used for mixing up paint, potions, whatever, but they are not in my way and are in something....the craft box....that already existed.

And when I use up something that has a recyclable plastic container and lid, I put it in the kids 'box of boxes/containers for building stuff' box. They sometimes use random lids for paint, then they get chucked out. It means I have spare containers on hand for school projects or whatever and if the box gets too full, I put some of it in the recycling.

photocat is offline   Reply With Quote