Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-04-2013, 10:08 AM   #31
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash View Post

i don't blame you, lol.

i don't use cloth, simply because i don't know where to start, and we don't have the money to begin a stash. not only that, but it seems that it would just be way messy and i would never have dh to help me change them, lol.
I go ultra cheap doing prefolds and flips. We've spent $310 diapering DS for 8 months for accessories and all, never bought a disposable. And he's my first so this is all I know. My mil sent him home in a disposable one time and I didn't know what to do with it lol, I asked dh if I rinse it off before I put it in the garbage. The startup is pretty rough though. And we waited till we got our income tax back to buy his next size up, $70 is a lot for us.

I got really lucky with dh, he changes just as many diapers as I do I think. I refuse to change a diaper with rare exception once dh is home. I'm "off the clock" for diaper duty lol. He's also far more likely to tell people how awesome cloth is than I am, but then again he did a lot of disposable changing when his nieces were babes living at home with him.

Phew, rambling to procrastinate going up and down these stairs for more laundry X_x

Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #32
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Done:
Declutter kitchen counters
Wash diapers
Dry diapers
Empty dishwasher
Sweep kitchen
Unpack mugs
Wash mugs
Old 02-04-2013, 10:13 AM   #33
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Re: Happy Homemakers -- February 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM View Post
I go ultra cheap doing prefolds and flips. We've spent $310 diapering DS for 8 months for accessories and all, never bought a disposable. And he's my first so this is all I know. My mil sent him home in a disposable one time and I didn't know what to do with it lol, I asked dh if I rinse it off before I put it in the garbage. The startup is pretty rough though. And we waited till we got our income tax back to buy his next size up, $70 is a lot for us.

I got really lucky with dh, he changes just as many diapers as I do I think. I refuse to change a diaper with rare exception once dh is home. I'm "off the clock" for diaper duty lol. He's also far more likely to tell people how awesome cloth is than I am, but then again he did a lot of disposable changing when his nieces were babes living at home with him.

Phew, rambling to procrastinate going up and down these stairs for more laundry X_x
i figure even if we have to buy 3 packages of diapers a week at $12 a pop, it's worth it to be able to throw them away and not worry about the cost of replacing them, buying the next size up, etc. i guess maybe i'm just lazy? lol i was looking into a startup package, but i don't know which diapers i would get. i like the gdiapers, because they are super cute, but a newborn bundle is $150. since i would be the only one washing them and such, i would probably have to get two sets to make sure i didn't run out. $300 seems like a lot of money to spend on something that they are only going to use for MAYBE 8 weeks before they grow out of it. even with a newborn, i will only spend about $288, at 3 packages of diapers a week, for the first 8 weeks. so the cost is about the same. then i'd have to buy the next size up diapers... another $300? meh. it just seems like too much work, i guess.
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #34
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash View Post
i figure even if we have to buy 3 packages of diapers a week at $12 a pop, it's worth it to be able to throw them away and not worry about the cost of replacing them, buying the next size up, etc. i guess maybe i'm just lazy? lol i was looking into a startup package, but i don't know which diapers i would get. i like the gdiapers, because they are super cute, but a newborn bundle is $150. since i would be the only one washing them and such, i would probably have to get two sets to make sure i didn't run out. $300 seems like a lot of money to spend on something that they are only going to use for MAYBE 8 weeks before they grow out of it. even with a newborn, i will only spend about $288, at 3 packages of diapers a week, for the first 8 weeks. so the cost is about the same. then i'd have to buy the next size up diapers... another $300? meh. it just seems like too much work, i guess.
Oh, it is. Lots of laundry. And the laundry routine takes a LONG time because I rinse, rinse, long wash, short wash, long dry cottons, short dry waterproofs. If I don't go start the next step right when the last ends, the whole routine easily takes me the whole day.

The one thing I would do differently if I could go back is probably not use cloth on my newborn. It was expensive and I was so overwhelmed that we just used the hospital's disposables for the first two weeks. And I'm one of the lucky ones that DS stayed in NB sizes for 3 months instead of 6-8 weeks. I did resell all of my NB size covers and half of my NB prefolds for about 70% of what I paid for them, though. The other half of the NB prefolds I actually still use for stuffing pockets and cleaning up vomit.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #35
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Done:
Wash diapers
Dry diapers
Empty dishwasher
Sweep kitchen
Unpack mugs
Wash mugs
Wash dishes
Wash bedding
Fold towels
Put away towels
Changed address for DS's health insurance
Organized cleaning supplies
Take out bathroom garbage
Unpack bras
Unpack panties
Unpack socks (where the heck are the rest of my socks..? )

Last edited by EmmaGM; 02-04-2013 at 11:58 AM.
EmmaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #36
leyash
Registered Users
seller

five articles
150 on editing
10 on writing
cleaned guest tub
cleaned toy box area in boys room
lysol'd boys beds
threw a load in the wash
put a load of clothes away

Last edited by leyash; 02-04-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #37
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Folded and put away the diapers
Old 02-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #38
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Done:
Wash diapers
Dry diapers
Folded and put away diapers
Empty dishwasher
Sweep kitchen
Unpack mugs
Wash mugs
Wash dishes
Wash bedding
Fold towels
Put away towels
Changed address for DS's health insurance
Organized cleaning supplies
Take out bathroom garbage
Unpack bras
Unpack panties
Unpack socks
Wash white curtains
Dry white curtains
Wash light clothes
Old 02-05-2013, 06:43 AM   #39
leyash
Registered Users
seller

yeah. i quit early yesterday. got a horrible headache and couldn't continue. got quite a bit to do today to make up for what i should have done yesterday.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:35 AM   #40
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Last edited by leyash; 02-05-2013 at 11:25 AM.