Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-04-2013, 12:40 PM   #21
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Homeschool Check In Feb. 1st--10th

GAH! Anyone who looks at Keegan's math paper today would have a seriously hard time conviencing me that he's not dyslexic. For whatever reason when things aren't coming easy to him, they get terribly, terribly hard, and then it's like he literally *can't* do it, even when I know he can, even when he's done it before. He can tell time. Today we did a math worksheet where there were analog clocks on the trashcans, and digital clocks on the trash can lids. (The Complete Book of Math, page 303) You cut out the lid and match it to the right trashcan. Well he has trouble keeping track of things--like when he's copying writing he can one do one letter at a time, then he forgets where he was. So he would figure out what time it was on the analog clock, then by the time he found the digital clock to go with it he forgot which (analog) clock it was supposed to go on. So I had him use a piece of paper to mark which clock he was on, then he sneezed it off and by then he was frustrated. So I told him, you know what, don't worry about it. We don't have to do this today--let's take a break. And he got more frustrated, because he knows that he can do it and wanted to finish. So I told him not to worry about the trashcan lids, just write your answer next to the trashcan. Every number is backwards. Not only is the time 9:05 50:9--the five is fipped around and the 9 is too. It's horrid. It took me forever to figure out what he was trying to put. But he was happy to be finished and didn't even notice that everything was backwards so I didn't say anything to him about it and called it a day. When he's not frustrated it's only a stray number or letter here and there that's backwards. I don't get it.

He did do fairly well on his reading today and I was proud of him. It wasn't great, and it took a lot of my help, but we made it through pretty well. Rachel did AWESOME! I was so proud of her. We did the "ph" sound today and she read words like elephant and gopher without any help. She did have to sound them out but she didn't need prompting about how to break the word apart or reminders about what sounds things make.

Welcome to all the newcomers!! Happy to have you!

Heather--we aren't quite to the water book yet. We've been taking it slow. It sounds like fun though! I'm not the cleanest person, so I think the kids and I will love it. You could always do some other science until it warmed up a bit and then do them outside if you don't want the mess in your house. I don't know about you, but I am looking very longingly towards day 125. Hehe. It looks like a breeze after that.

I'm thinking about stopping MFW right now since the reading is overwhelming Keegan and doing basic reading stuff for a couple months. I don't want to just totally take a break right now, but I was thinking if we just REALLY focused on reading things would be much simpiler when we came back to our regular stuff. I'm not a stiff about following just what the curriculum says, but I do feel like I need some kind of accountability to keep me going. Because without it I'm afraid we'll end up doing nothing at all, even when I have good intentions, it will be like "whoops! Forgot to plan anything for today. Any ideas on what to do? We have the HOP K and 1st, and I've though about using those, but not sure what else I would do.

Excuse all my long winded rambling.

Advertisement

jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #22
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Jen, all we do at that age is reading/phonics and math. That's it. As for the reading, I'm not familiar with the program you're using, or with the HOP. I do have a copy of Sing, Spell, Read, and Write level one that you are welcome to. If you decide to use it, you would need to order a student workbook for it (about $35, I think), but I'm willing to send it to you and see if it'll help you.

AFU, kids are going a bit slow today, but then, so am I. I don't think I've accomplished much except that the kids have all eaten 2 meals. lol I did get laundry washed and hung on the line, and a load of towels in the wash. I still need to get some baking done today, though. Natalie needs me to sit and do schoolwork with her (Autumn walked her through her math this morning), but she's in such a mood I haven't done it yet.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #23
Britches~in~Stitches
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sorry to everyone, but I only scanned the thread.

Jen- my dd gets the same way. She isn't dyslexic, but when she gets frustrated, everything gets harder. If I suggest we take a break, she has a melt down. Maybe it's an age thing?

Afu, were doing the basics, again. I'm moving all of my stuff that's in the den (downstairs) to our room. I'm only keeping the minimum, everything else is getting sold. I'll miss my things, but it needs to be done . Otherwise dh has a beekeeping class today, tomorrow dd has a PE class, Wednesday is ballet, and Thursday is the childrens museum. It's going to be a really long, (but hopefully fun), week.

Last edited by Britches~in~Stitches; 02-04-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Britches~in~Stitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #24
cedavid2011
Registered Users
seller

Just jumping back in again. We have been plugging along. Things are going pretty smoothly most days. We are studying up on Teddy Roosevelt so we can participate in our homeschool group's Parade of Presidents. It's been snowing lots in our area so we try to get outside and play most days too. Hope everyone is enjoying the winter!
Old 02-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #25
acwakip
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The kids and I had a very good talk last night. I had a heart-to-heart with my 13 year old who will be starting 9th grade next year. He fully admits that he hasn't been trying as hard as he should. He knows that writing isn't his strong suit and wants to work at it. I told him that I don't expect him to write like a journalist but he should be capable of writing some complex sentences.

I was geared up to buy Teaching Textbooks Pre-Algebra but he wants to try BJU PA again. That's what we were using before. His biggest issue is that he can do well on his lessons but his recall is horrible. If he doesn't work with fractions for a week or two, all the fraction work we did went down the drain. So I think we are going to do BJU and then he can do worksheets for the basics a couple days a week just to be sure he doesn't lose what he has learned.

I am not too concerned about DD, her biggest obstacle is motivation. She is convinced she is stupid even though the evidence proves otherwise. She thinks that the 10 minutes she studies before a test is "enough" and if she weren't "stupid" she wouldn't need to even do that.

I am almost considering holding DS back and re-doing 8th grade just so he has another year before we start keeping transcripts. We don't necessarily need transcripts in our state but I want to be sure to have them in case we need them for whatever reason.

I work this evening so today is going to be a short day.
acwakip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #26
croark
Registered Users
seller

Geez what a crazy weekend and Monday. Seems like deadlines on everything hit me yesterday. I spent all day at the computer doing personal bills, church bills (I'm church treasurer), and putting Girl Scout cookie orders in the computer. My oldest managed to get her work done without me (thank goodness for lesson plans) but I still haven't checked it. My 6 yr old didn't get any work done at all yday cause i just didn't have the time. Today will be much slower so I can play catch up with school work to make up for yday.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #27
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

tallanvor--I don't know anything about Sing, Spell, Read and Write. I think for right now though I am just going to back off a little bit and review, review, review and possible go over some of the hooked on phonics program. He knows letter sounds and basic blending but he just can't keep things straight. Thank you very much for the offer though!!

Today everything went really good until the kids broke out a window so I am a bit crabby about that. Complete accident (tipped over the rocking chair) and not a huge deal but it is a bit frustrating since we will have an appraisal done soon for our refinancing and money is tight so it will not be fixed soon. Oh well.

As for what we did today I followed my advice to back off--I think if I could keep that up it would be good for all of us. I have trouble sticking with it though. But today we did things a bit different...We spent part of the morning reading I See Sam books and I wrote out simple directions for making crock pot yogurt. The kids love yogurt and always get excited about making it so it's my way of encouraging Keegan to read. It's at the cooling stage right now and he's struggled with the directions a little but I think he is feeling proud of himself because he's reading and accomplishing something useful at the same time. He loves to do stuff like that by himself....the other night he made us sausage and scrambled eggs except for me turning on/off the oven.

I have given up on the color coded reading garabage. I don't doubt that it works for a lot of kids....but it is a drag and surely there are more effective ways to overcome reading issues. And even if there's not I'm not sure putting yourself and your child through that torture is worth it. Lol. Hopefully the Dr. won't be too crabby about it when we go back in another month in a half. Not that the crabbiness would make a difference with my dicision, it's just a pain to put up with.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #28
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with oak meadow curriculum but I think I've found what works for us! I made homemade playsilks last night because we will be using them throughout and my dd helped dye them. Both girls love them....why am I just now finding these? Lol

Today out history lesson was about ancient china so we did watercolor paintings depicting the festivals that they have and started making our plaster mask. She will get to wear the mask and use the silks to perform a dance like she would imagine at the festival. Plus we've done our reading and some housework and lots of imaginary play today. Still a little writing practice when she gets home from her dads tonight.

It's been a busy day but very productive and fun. This curriculum is going to force me to slow down and interact more and that's what we've been missing since the baby was born last may.
Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #29
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It took us 2 1/2 hours to do 2 math sheets and then the regular stuff from his MFW-K day today. It should have taken us maybe an hour. He was just NOT focused on doing his math at all and sat there staring at it forever. In the end it got finished though. It is really amazing to see his progress thus far and we are just now at the 1/2 way point of the Kindergarten curriculum.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #30
lyn1270
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm jumpin' in! I'm HSing my boys (ages 8, 5, 3). Today was an amazingly good day! We had some pouting/attitude issue from DS2, but that's better than pouting/attitude from all of them And with 3 boys, there's always somebody that's a lil' grumpy LOL. We worked it out, though, and life got better. We got all of our work done, except for DS1 and spelling..sigh...that boy seriously hates him some spelling...smh. I told him he had to double up tomorrow on spelling LOL he just shook his head, said fine, and walked off LOLOLOL!!!

anybody use Reading Eggs??? I test drove it for 14 days and thought it was pretty good, but didn't know if it was worth it to pay the $$ for it. I would be using it with my 2 youngest boys. DS2 is a little delayed, or at least he would be if he were at government school. He and DS3 seem to work on a similar level, even though he is a smidge above DS3. Anyway, I thought it would be something fun for them, but wasn't sure about the $$.
lyn1270 is offline   Reply With Quote