Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #11
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Sneaking food... WWYD

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
I'f be thankful they let me sleep! Lol!!
Hahaha yah!

Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #12
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh, and had my girls eaten any of our movie night treats that they knew they weren't supposed to eat, they would've totally hid the evidence. I wouldn't punish them though, I'd just put them up until they can listen better.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #13
I_run_with_scissors
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think they were probably just hungry. So while they should have woken up mom or dad to have a healthier breakfast, i wouldnt get to worked up about it. I would just tell them next time they are allowed to have an apple or they need to wake up an adult to make them real food
TTC #4
I_run_with_scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #14
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

I have issues with the idea of "bad" food vs "good" food. I grew up with extremely dysfunctional eating habits and I am 100% committed to creating a different lifestyle for my kids. Personally, we choose not to have snack foods in the house for the most part for this specific reason. We *do* set limits with our kids and have from when they were young, such as if you are hungry and it is not meal time you may have a piece of fresh fruit or veggies. If you are still hungry, you can ask mom or dad what else there is to eat.

We teach them about what foods are healthy and what are not. We don't do forbidden foods, because I feel it teaches them bad habits. We encourage them to eat healthy items that they enjoy and model good eating for them. I think food should be enjoyed and that it is totally okay to have some snacky treats on occasion. I wouldn't blame a couple of hungry 4 year olds for eating what they knew how to get for themselves if they were unsupervised. Really I think the blame is on your DH not them.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:35 PM   #15
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

I don't think it's a big deal. Sometimes ds will eat snack/junk food in the mornings before I get up. I will say something but I don't punish him for it. I look at it as kind of my fault for not getting up and cooking him a proper breakfast. He is almost 9 now so he does know better and doesn't do it a lot. Maybe on Saturdays which is the only day I get to sleep in.

ETA I would just sort of do a natural consequence. Since they ate so many fruit snacks and cereal bars, they will run out before you planned and they will have to do without for a bit.

Mama to Ethan

Last edited by kimb96; 02-04-2013 at 02:36 PM.
kimb96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #16
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Maybe have a basket of acceptable snacks in the pantry so they know that if they wake up, they can get "their" food until mommy and daddy wake up?
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #17
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think you should make sure they know what they can and can't eat in the mornings, but kids making themselves breakfast is a part of life. I wouldn't be that mad at them if that's what was easily available. Just put those things up high, make sure they know it's off limits, then put something (still easy and good) down where they can get them.

When my daughter was about three years old, I made her a basket on the second shelf up in the pantry. I turned on the channel I wanted her to watch, and she could get up, turn on the tv, and then make herself a snack/breakfast.

She could make eggo waffles by age four, but wouldn't clean up her mess, (thawing a whole box of waffles) So, I had to tweak the rules a bit and make things even easier for her.

You could keep out...

Dry cereal in lidded bowls, a few packs of fruit snacks, one breakfast bar each, peanut butter, fruit, etc... it's easy and fun to plan what they can fix for themselves. That way Dad can sleep late, and if they break the rules, you can go back to the old way.

Last edited by escapethevillage; 02-04-2013 at 03:24 PM.
escapethevillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #18
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

http://pinterest.com/pin/189080884327443826/

http://pinterest.com/pin/116601077823665160/

http://pinterest.com/pin/213287732323583912/

http://pinterest.com/pin/241575967483417853/

And, just be happy they let you sleep. I like them already.

Last edited by escapethevillage; 02-04-2013 at 03:35 PM.
escapethevillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #19
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Well, I do see it as sneaky. The fact that they hid the wrappers instead of leaving them out or throwing them away, implies that they knew they shouldn't have eaten them.

What I would do is make up some foods that they are allowed to eat for breakfast and let them know where they are. Tell them that if they don't want to wake mommy or daddy up for breakfast, that they may have something from the breakfast food stash you show them.

The other option is to let them know they need to wake you or DH up so y'all can get them some breakfast.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #20
geez0pete
Registered Users
Formerly: sm***ff

My Mood:

I see it as a case of they woke up and were hungry, you weren't there to tell them no, so they chose what they wanted to eat. Hiding the wrappers suggests they knew you wouldn't be happy about it but I don't necessarily see it as sneaky. I would put the items you don't want them to have out of sight and stock a kid shelf with all the items they are allowed to self-serve when they wake up. That will also encourage independence, which is a good thing.

geez0pete is offline   Reply With Quote