Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-28-2012, 11:45 PM   #41
daenikoffre
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Atheist parents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmoni247 View Post
My phone is about to die, but I wanted to throw out the books Parenting Beyond Belief and Raising Freethinkers as great resources for issues that come up when atheists raise children in religiously saturated environments. They were both a good read
Thanks for the recs!

& My partner is atheist, and I'm spiritual leaning Taoist, and we celebrate the seasons in place of Christian holidays. I doubt anyone will ever tease our little one living in the SF Bay, I think we "non-believers" might be the majority.

Advertisement

daenikoffre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #42
Tordreamer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Most of the time I don't have a clue how to describe myself! I believe there is some sort of higher power, but not necessarily one god. I believe in reincarnation. I live my life nonreligious, but with strong morals and the belief that kindness, understanding, and acceptance are of utmost importance. I do not see all three of these things in organized religion. I want my sons to make their own choices and create their own ideas. DH and I were both raised in believing households, but not strongly religious. We will continue to celebrate the holidays of our childhood, but make them more about celebrating family and creating our own traditions. We live on the east coast technically across the Mason Dixon Line, but in such a diverse area that it usually isn't an issue. We will occasionally run into people who ask what church we go to and are simply appalled when we do not have a church. It annoys me, but I'm finally comfortable with my beliefs, so it doesn't get to me. My oldest doesn't seem bothered by it and my youngest is too young to care. Occasionally my oldest will express interest in church, but he hasn't attended since he was 5 or so.
Tordreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #43
MrsSaraT
Registered Users
seller

We are as well in California. I was raised a go to church twice a week Christian, but found real truth after moving out when I was 18. My kids are still very small, so we haven't dealt with bullying yet. Luckily my parentd and sister haven't made a fuss over not raising my kids to go to church. When we visit we all jusy go to church together to be polite. Besides, it's fun for the kids to play, do crafts, hear stories.

To my kids, I plan on teaching them that the religious books of different faiths are just a collection of stories that some people actually believe, ju ust as people u sed to believe in tje Greek and Roman gods, etc.

I will teach them that if someone tries to tell them that theu are going to hell, they can quietly laugh it off, knowing it's just a fairy tale. They can just tell them that people have different beliefs all around the world and there is no need to worry about hell. If other kids of faith can state their beliefs, then non-religious kids can too.
MrsSaraT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:56 PM   #44
Ashlynnray
Registered Users
seller

My husband and I are both atheist and we live in Texas as well. DH grew up in an atheist household (he's English) and I grew up in a very conservative religious one. We will answer his questions with truth and compassion and let him decide as he gets older. I would never say he couldn't believe in a certain religion but he will know from a young age that it just isn't something we believe in. We don't do Christian holidays and we are big into science and proof of things. All I really care about is that he grows up with respect and compassion for others and their beliefs.
Ashlynnray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #45
Feronia
Registered Users
seller

My husband and I are atheist. LO is only 6 weeks old though so we haven't dealt with any of the parenting issues that may surround it. However, I grew up Unitarian and have always been an athiest and never really had any problems.

Right now I'm more concerned with the social implications of raising LO vegan. I'm sure there will be many more talks and potential problems with staying at other kids' houses over that. I doubt the atheism will be a big deal!
Feronia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #46
Sarawithouth
Registered Users
seller
seller

Another atheist family in Texas. I intend to raise my children to be aware and respectful of other beliefs and teach them to be freethinkers. We will teach from a perspective of, "Some people believe blah blah, but mommy and daddy believe this and this is why."

I don't intend to raise ignorant or hateful children.

Sunny due in October!

We're a breastfeedin', babywearin', vax delayin', un-circumcisin', cloth diaperin', bedsharin', home birthin', atheist family from Texas!
Sarawithouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:00 PM   #47
kungfualex
Registered Users

I'm not religious at all, which is not always a fun thing living in the bible belt. My family's baptist and sometimes I worry what my mom's going to say to him. I do want him to feel free to explore religion if he finds any that appeal to him and I want him to be respectful of other people's beliefs but I will just be honest about what I believe and why. The hardest part I think will be holidays. I don't want him to miss out on fun things, like Christmas presents and egg hunts, but I kind of think that most holidays have been commercialized enough that we might be able to take the fun stuff and pass on the God parts.
kungfualex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:32 AM   #48
nolansmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am not sure what we are. Not completely atheist as we believe in a few Pagan beliefs. I guess we are eclectic. Anyways, lately my 6 yr old DS has been asking why we don't go to church. I am still trying to figure out how to respond.

Last edited by nolansmama; 03-26-2013 at 04:35 AM.
nolansmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #49
Hembie
Registered Users

I am in an odd situation for sure. I grew up in a non-committal Anglican family. I became and Atheist in high school and haven’t looked back, except I started dating a Christian and for 3 months he didn’t know I was an Atheist and I didn’t know he was a Christian.

Now we’re married and have 3 kids. He’s almost finished school and will be ordained as an Anglican Priest next May and I’m still very much an atheist.

It’s a juggling game. I have no intention of lying to or misleading my children with my feelings on religion. My husband obviously is hoping they will be religious like him.

We compromised that I would allow them to start attending church in Grade 1. Other than that church or religion doesn’t come up that much. He’s too busy with school and training to be a Priest and I’m obviously not going to bring it up.

I guess we’ll see how the chips fall when they are older. He will tell it’s all true and I will tell them that personally I don’t think it’s any different from a myth. I’m hoping we try to keep it civil and don’t make the kids feel like they are choosing one parent over another. I think we’re respectful enough to do that. We live in a very metropolitan Canadian city so I’m not too worried regardless of what they believe.

For the most part we don’t argue about it but it does come up from time to time privately
I am married to Jeff and we have our oldest two children, who are twins. Our first son Elliott and our daughter Imogen. Our third child and second son Ciaran. He was born by VBAC. Our third son and last addition to our family August, was born with no drugs. My second VBAC.
Hembie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #50
megenic
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hembie
I am in an odd situation for sure. I grew up in a non-committal Anglican family. I became and Atheist in high school and haven’t looked back, except I started dating a Christian and for 3 months he didn’t know I was an Atheist and I didn’t know he was a Christian.

Now we’re married and have 3 kids. He’s almost finished school and will be ordained as an Anglican Priest next May and I’m still very much an atheist.

It’s a juggling game. I have no intention of lying to or misleading my children with my feelings on religion. My husband obviously is hoping they will be religious like him.

We compromised that I would allow them to start attending church in Grade 1. Other than that church or religion doesn’t come up that much. He’s too busy with school and training to be a Priest and I’m obviously not going to bring it up.

I guess we’ll see how the chips fall when they are older. He will tell it’s all true and I will tell them that personally I don’t think it’s any different from a myth. I’m hoping we try to keep it civil and don’t make the kids feel like they are choosing one parent over another. I think we’re respectful enough to do that. We live in a very metropolitan Canadian city so I’m not too worried regardless of what they believe.

For the most part we don’t argue about it but it does come up from time to time privately
I can't even imagine this...i have a hard time sometimes because I'm an atheist and DH is an agnostic!

God hadn't yet come up in our house but when it does i know it will be from my mother. She once tried to have them baptized behind my back but luckily the priest wouldn't do it. I don't trust her alone with them now.