Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-03-2013, 11:00 AM   #11
ohgirlohboyohno
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: cavity jelp :(

hugs mama...I just had Emma under general anesthesia for 3 crowns and 5 fillings and 2 sealants. She goes to head start and brushes twice there and rinses once, plus brushing twice at home,....her brother, just one year older than her, has not a single cavity. They eat/drink the exact same things. IT just happens to some kids.

My dentist did say if she HAS to eat candy then giving chocolate is the best cause it bruses off the easiest (Emma isn't even a candy eater...go figure)

Advertisement

NEW Giftable Innotab2 players FS (pink and blue) here
ohgirlohboyohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #12
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2littlemissaudrey View Post
Mothering just posted some info on healing children's teeth naturally today:

http://www.mothering.com/community/a...etting-started

Also look in to the work of Weston A. Price (WAPF Foundation) and Ramiel Nagel (wrote a book on healing his daughter's cavities) using a nutrient dense diet.

The use of a glycerin free toothpaste can also help in healing cavities and keeping new cavities from forming. From what I've read glycerin can coat teeth and keep the minerals in your saliva from remineralizing your teeth. We also use toothpaste with xylitol (helps with cavity prevention) instead of fluoride. Earthpaste is a good one or you can make your own. More info on that here: http://www.keeperofthehome.org/2012/...ralization.htm

We follow the dietary recommendations from the WAPF foundation and use glycerin and fluoride free toothpaste and have no cavities here. Hope this helps!
Yeah, pretty much this. Also, brushing with baking soda, but NOT Flouride. giving her a bunch of flouride is not going to help, but it can be toxic.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:33 AM   #13
BubBubsMom
Registered Users
Formerly: TaReeses
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516

Yeah, pretty much this. Also, brushing with baking soda, but NOT Flouride. giving her a bunch of flouride is not going to help, but it can be toxic.
Fluoride does help the teeth. They won't help the cavities she already has but will help strengthen the teeth to prevent decay. It IS toxic if you swallow it. That's why I don't recommend using it unless the child is aware of not swallowing. You don't need to use anything to get the teeth clean. Toothpaste is just an incentive to brush and to help freshen breath and if it's with fluoride, to help strengthen the teeth. What gets the teeth clean is circular motion of brushing. The abrasion of the toothbrush is what kicks that plaque away, not toothpaste.
BubBubsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:34 AM   #14
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2littlemissaudrey View Post
Mothering just posted some info on healing children's teeth naturally today:

http://www.mothering.com/community/a...etting-started

Also look in to the work of Weston A. Price (WAPF Foundation) and Ramiel Nagel (wrote a book on healing his daughter's cavities) using a nutrient dense diet.

The use of a glycerin free toothpaste can also help in healing cavities and keeping new cavities from forming. From what I've read glycerin can coat teeth and keep the minerals in your saliva from remineralizing your teeth. We also use toothpaste with xylitol (helps with cavity prevention) instead of fluoride. Earthpaste is a good one or you can make your own. More info on that here: http://www.keeperofthehome.org/2012/...ralization.htm

We follow the dietary recommendations from the WAPF foundation and use glycerin and fluoride free toothpaste and have no cavities here. Hope this helps!
I agree with this.

I don't treat cavities unless they cause pain, personally. I know everyone is different.

Best wishes, OP!

ETA: There are also supplements that can help heal teeth and also help make them stronger to prevent further decay.

It's been a while since I researched it, but IIRC, Cod Liver Oil is one of the big ones that helps.

Another thing to consider is: if she has weak enamel, brushing TOO often can actually be counter-productive. Brushing teeth is obviously very important, I'm not suggesting not to do that. But if your teeth are already weak and decaying quickly, brushing them over and over again multiple times a day can exacerbate the problem by wearing away what little bit of protection the body has been trying to build.

Last edited by Kiliki; 02-04-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:16 PM   #15
terrordactyl
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
I agree with this.

I don't treat cavities unless they cause pain, personally. I know everyone is different.

Best wishes, OP!

ETA: There are also supplements that can help heal teeth and also help make them stronger to prevent further decay.

It's been a while since I researched it, but IIRC, Cod Liver Oil is one of the big ones that helps.

Another thing to consider is: if she has weak enamel, brushing TOO often can actually be counter-productive. Brushing teeth is obviously very important, I'm not suggesting not to do that. But if your teeth are already weak and decaying quickly, brushing them over and over again multiple times a day can exacerbate the problem by wearing away what little bit of protection the body has been trying to build.

If you don't treat cavities till they cause you pain, you end up with 4 root canals by the time you are 24 and one at 13 be careful with that
terrordactyl is offline   Reply With Quote