Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-19-2007, 11:34 AM   #1
Indianamom*2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Fenugreek ?

I got some Fenugreek and mothers milk tea at Whole foods the other day and I have started taking the Fenugreek (pills) to the point DD and I both smell like maple syrup. but I was wondering..... now that I am taking it, if I have to take it everyday for the remainder of nursing, or if I can stop taking it after I get my supply where I want/need it ??

Advertisement

Old 08-19-2007, 11:49 AM   #2
apmommatnt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Fenugreek ?

Hey there mama, you should try Brewers Yeast with the Fenugreek instead of the Mommy Tea and the Fenugreek (since the main ingredient in the tea is Fenugreek). Also, once your supply is up, assuming you continuing nursing often, your milk supply will remain where it needs to be to sustain a healthy nursing relationship. How often are you offering the breast? Has there been a sudden (or gradual) change that may have affecting your supply? Do you pump? These are things to keep in mind as to why your supply is low. IF you do continue to have low supply, despite trying all of these things, you may want to talk to your doctor about a galactologue...although, most of these have side effects...so obviously, natural is always best. What worked best for us is drinking TONS of water, before, DURING, and after nursing. Also, double nursing is helpful, nurse, nurse, nurse. Try eating oatmeal, the brewers yeast and the fenugreek, and my nurse midwife even suggested a sip of beer here and there...the brewers yeast and the hops and barley help with lactation! (Obviously, in SMALL quantities and NEVER when co-sleeping) but, it really does help. Good luck, I know it can be frustrating, but you can do it if you keep up with it!!!
~Jenn

Last edited by apmommatnt; 08-19-2007 at 11:50 AM.
apmommatnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:03 PM   #3
Coady_Chaos
Registered Users

My Mood:
Smile Re: Fenugreek ?

Once your milk is re-established, you won't need to continue with the Fenugreek, as pp said. I also agree, nurse nurse, nurse to keep your supply up! Drink loads of water (I am still leaking all day due to drinking about a gallon of water per day) and pump if you skip a feeding. I was pumping on one side and nursing on the other to save on time and maximize the milk I got with the pumping session. HTH! Good luck!
Coady_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:09 PM   #4
Indianamom*2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mama.

She nurses about every 2-3 hrs. We have started solids but only 1-2x a day and she does get a little diluted juice or water in a sippy about 1x a day.

My supply started dwindeling about a month ago for whatever reason. I used to be able to pump about 6oz, breasts were always firm and I have the tingling let down and DD always got full. But recently I dont feel a let down at all, I cant pump anything at all out of either breast, both breasts are really floppy and feel really squishy, and DD is always fussy at the breast and wanting to nurse every 20 mins which she has never done before.

I wanted to try and do the Fenugreek before getting anything from the Doc.
So far in the 2 days that I have been taking it I have felt let down eachtime and DD seems to be much happier and sleeping better too.

That I know of I havent done anything to make my supply go down.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:23 PM   #5
Shellfish
Registered Users

My Mood:

Oatmeal is a *great* suggestion - a bowl in the morning really helps with supply issues. Keeping yourself hydrated is also key. I keep re-filling a water bottle, to keep track of how much I drink over the course of the day.

Feeling let-down and how much you pump isn't always an indication of poor supply. Sometimes I feel let-down, sometimes I don't...in fact, most times I don't nowadays; and I was never able to pump much at all, maybe an ounce or two on a good day. However, paying attention to your baby's cues is always a good idea, and it is good that you are actively trying to find a solution now, rather than waiting.

Have you checked out kellymom.com? It is a great website for breastfeeding answers, or if you want to speak to another mom about it, you could try finding a La Leche League group in your area. The leader in my town is terrific!
Shellfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 02:18 PM   #6
Indianamom*2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellfish View Post
Oatmeal is a *great* suggestion - a bowl in the morning really helps with supply issues. Keeping yourself hydrated is also key. I keep re-filling a water bottle, to keep track of how much I drink over the course of the day.

Feeling let-down and how much you pump isn't always an indication of poor supply. Sometimes I feel let-down, sometimes I don't...in fact, most times I don't nowadays; and I was never able to pump much at all, maybe an ounce or two on a good day. However, paying attention to your baby's cues is always a good idea, and it is good that you are actively trying to find a solution now, rather than waiting.

Have you checked out kellymom.com? It is a great website for breastfeeding answers, or if you want to speak to another mom about it, you could try finding a La Leche League group in your area. The leader in my town is terrific!
If I lost my supply and could no longer nurse her I would be devastated as would she. Its already heart breaking to see her get so upset trying to nurse and not get very much.

I have been EBF since she was born... well, except the first 2 weeks of her life when she had to be supplemented because of dehydration and jaundice issues, but after that she has only gotten the breast. Its too frustrating to pump.

I have been trying to eat oatmeal for breakfast, but Im not a oatmeal type person soI have been meaning to make some no bakes, but I always seem to forget the stuff to make them when I am at the store.

I have checked out kellymom before, but I always seem to forget about it too. Thanks for the reminder.

I have looked into the LLL around here, but nothing is close to me.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:59 PM   #7
jeannewojo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In addition to what you're doing, try when you pump to not watch. If you're concerned enough about your supply to take herbs etc you may be having an anxiety reaction during pumping that could negatively affect your ability to produce oxytocin naturally and let down. I'd pump while nursing and focus all your attention on the baby and not worry about the pump until baby lets go. Or, if you can't nurse when you need to pump, do it while watching tv (or posting here) to keep you from becoming anxious about your supply. They even make guided relaxation CD's you can listen to while pumping to help keep your mind from obsessing about the quantity you're putting out.

Good luck. Oh, and IMO, maple syrup smells better than regular sweat anyway!
Old 08-19-2007, 08:10 PM   #8
Indianamom*2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannewojo View Post
In addition to what you're doing, try when you pump to not watch. If you're concerned enough about your supply to take herbs etc you may be having an anxiety reaction during pumping that could negatively affect your ability to produce oxytocin naturally and let down. I'd pump while nursing and focus all your attention on the baby and not worry about the pump until baby lets go. Or, if you can't nurse when you need to pump, do it while watching tv (or posting here) to keep you from becoming anxious about your supply. They even make guided relaxation CD's you can listen to while pumping to help keep your mind from obsessing about the quantity you're putting out.

Good luck. Oh, and IMO, maple syrup smells better than regular sweat anyway!

WOW, I never knew that thanks.

DH was a little shocked when I started smelling like syrup !