Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #1
dancingingrace
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How to get ink out of clothing??

DH gave our 2yo DD a pen to write with last night.... Needless to say, she got it all over her shirt, which was brand new. I know a 2yo's clothing is going to get stained, but I would like to have at least a few nice pieces for her to wear when we go out, instead of her always looking like a little orphan! Anyway, do I have any hope of getting this out? I've always heard hairspray for ink, but how do you do it? I think I've tried it before where I sprayed the hairspray on the ink and then washed it, but the ink didn't come out that time. I did just spray hairspray on all the ink spots a few minutes ago, but do I let it sit, try to scrub it out before washing, or..??? Any other suggestions? TIA!

Advertisement

dancingingrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: How to get ink out of clothing??

Lay it flat with a cloth underneath (one you wont mind getting stained) then pour some rubbing alcohol over stains. Start dabbing with another cloth and it should start to come out. Once it is out rinse then wash.

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #3
ohgirlohboyohno
Registered Users
seller
seller

be sure to do any "scrubbing" from the back....so you are pressing the stain back out the side it got on vs. pressing all the way through the shirt/fabric.

NEW Giftable Innotab2 players FS (pink and blue) here
ohgirlohboyohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

acetone (just in normal nail polish remover) works awesome. put some on a cloth (or a make up pad works great), turn the garment inside out, put a cloth (or, again, make up pad - but something you don't mind getting the ink on) on the right side of the garment, then dab/press on the wrong side of the ink stain. It'll transfer onto the other cloth
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #5
mommyofhjm
Registered Users

Hairspray always works for me.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #6
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers View Post
acetone (just in normal nail polish remover) works awesome. put some on a cloth (or a make up pad works great), turn the garment inside out, put a cloth (or, again, make up pad - but something you don't mind getting the ink on) on the right side of the garment, then dab/press on the wrong side of the ink stain. It'll transfer onto the other cloth
Acetone is bad for synthetic fibers. It can "melt" them.

Rubbing alcohol works on all fabrics. Blot, blot, blot, blot, blot till it is gone. (Rubbing alcohol might remove the color from silk and cause a weird light spot. It's the only fabric I ever had a problem with. I just soaked the whole thing in alcohol and it equalized to a all over lighter color. )

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #7
amegrl520
Registered Users
seller

Spray oxyclean on it and wash

amegrl520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #8
dancingingrace
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the suggestions....I sprayed the hairspray on them, sprayed some Shout on one (the only spray stain remover I have in the house at the moment), and tried the alcohol. The stains are still there, but I haven't washed them yet for fear of setting the stains in, so I'll try some more blotting with alcohol. Hopefully the combination of all those things won't undo any potential progress! Thanks, mamas!
dancingingrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #9
mevans
Registered Users
seller
seller

My DH was changing the printer ink and somehow it sprayed onto the carpet, myself and DD (whose outfit was only on its second wear). The carpet came clean fine, but not our clothes. I'll try the alcohol tomorrow!
Michelle wifey to Justin, homeschooling SAHM to Kerilynn 3/28/04, Hunter 8/4/06, baby girl Piperann Meadow born 7/19/2011 at 40w5d, and our Great Dane Jess & missing Finley Jonas 7/27/10 ISO: size large Bummis Super Brite covers
mevans is offline   Reply With Quote