Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2013, 08:32 AM   #11
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: I'm seriously going to delete this after I get an answer

Try Aloe! or Succulents I can keep them mostly alive They sit in the window and I give them 1 ice cube a week

Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 08:36 AM   #12
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

I adore my pont tail palm! Give it Plenty of sun! And honestly, if you are a plant killer (I used to be) GET AN AQUA GLOBE! They are so cheap now, and they work great!! They saved all of my plants until I earned how much water they needed.

Mine is a little unhappy right now with the current lighting situation, but its still growing!! It is by far my favorite plant! Careful though, I tried to rip off a dead leaf tip and my finger slid up the leaf and sliced it open! It bled for hours. OUCH!

Ps! Thanks for the reminder, I'll go water my plants now. It's been....well lets just go with "too long"

And oh yeah, my learning plant was a philodendron. (Poisonous to eat though so carful with pets and kids) but the leafs droop when it needs water, so then I water my plants, and within hours it's happy again. I always say it talks to me, and its the lifesaver for my other 6 plants.

Last edited by theonenonlymrssmith; 03-04-2013 at 01:30 PM.
theonenonlymrssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #13
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Growing season refers to the natural cycles that the conditions are optimal for plant growth and yes that's different everywhere. Even indoors, these plants are subjective to the short winter daylight and go into dormant phase if you don't provide an indoor plant light. I'm assuming since you are growing it indoors, that is what you're talking about. Indoor plants, always use potting mix not garden soil (different stuff in it), if you want to keep it indoors all the time it will need some supplemental light in the form of a plant light bulb. Some advice, get a plant hygrometer (get at home depot in the greenhouse area) so that you don't over water it and pay close attention to fertilizer directions since it's so darn easy to burn a house plant. Good luck, I'm an avid gardener but I still kill houseplants.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #14
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs
: if you want to keep it indoors all the time it will need some supplemental light in the form of a plant light bulb. :
I have never ever put mine outside and it grows just fine! We're in the middle of a colorado winter, and its still growing??? Unless you are keeping it in the dark, I see no reason to need a grow light. Just put it by a sunny window!
Old 02-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #15
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

It just depends on the needs of each species. It wouldn't die if it didn't have the light, but it would not grow as big, does that make sense?
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #16
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs
It just depends on the needs of each species. It wouldn't die if it didn't have the light, but it would not grow as big, does that make sense?
Yes, it does make sence. I would just hate for the OP to think that the species she was asking about needed a grow light to thrive, since it certainly does not. No reason to complicate things with the plant in question, unless of corse she wants to enter it into some sort of competition, which I doubt.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #17
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

nice job putting the "I'm gonna delete" in there so that people read your thread

I am a plant killer, actually, I can only keep mammals alive. plants, fish, lizards....no hope with me in charge
Old 02-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #18
Only
Registered Users
Formerly: hu**rees
seller
seller

I thought I read somewhere that "talking" to your plants help keep them alive. I am dead serious. I don't know if it's legit but once upon a time I read that somewhere. Or maybe it was singing.

Anyhow, try it. Talk to your plants. You can even do it bored housewife style and gossip to them AND sing bored housewife gossip for good measure. Watch them flourish. Haha.

Austen 06/12
Only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #19
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaisyma View Post
nice job putting the "I'm gonna delete" in there so that people read your thread

I am a plant killer, actually, I can only keep mammals alive. plants, fish, lizards....no hope with me in charge
I'm a sneaky one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only View Post
I thought I read somewhere that "talking" to your plants help keep them alive. I am dead serious. I don't know if it's legit but once upon a time I read that somewhere. Or maybe it was singing.

Anyhow, try it. Talk to your plants. You can even do it bored housewife style and gossip to them AND sing bored housewife gossip for good measure. Watch them flourish. Haha.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:26 PM   #20
Shimpie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Generally, the growing season is the warmest months with the longest daylight hours.

I'm a botanist and I don't have one single house plant. I have a very brown thumb. I kill most indoor plants from over-nurturing. I usually over water. OP, don't over water your new palm. I can grow a veggie garden because, I only expect my veggies to live for one year max. I'm actually surprised that my lemon tree in a pot has survived for nearly 10 years.

Last edited by Shimpie; 02-05-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Shimpie is offline   Reply With Quote