Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-29-2013, 08:44 AM   #11
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque
Definitely start at the beginning of the new series. Even my DS loves the show.
Yes, definitely. Then you'll know "everything." Obviously not everything, but you really need to start with Rose.

Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 09:24 AM   #12
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: doctor who help please

Doctor number 9. *swoons* My favorite doctor of all. Too bad he was only around for one season!

Anyhow, I agree with everyone else. Start with season 1 of the new series with doctor #9. Might be worth it to go back and watch some of the old stuff with the first 8 doctors at some point, but when you are just starting, I say stick with the new stuff!
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:38 AM   #13
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:

Does this show start out slow? We actually tried watching the season 1 and I fell asleep within the first 30 minutes. It wasn't boring but there was just too much going on...
Old 01-29-2013, 09:43 AM   #14
ktarsha
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Definitely start with Season 1 of the new series, with Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor. I think they wrote it with the assumption that a lot of viewers wouldn't have seen the original series, so the first episode sort of explains some things that you'd have to figure out on your own if you started with another season.

I agree with Janine - if you decide you like it, it'd be good to watch episodes from the original series eventually; they're great fun, as long as you aren't expecting the high-budget effects you'll see in the new series.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:45 AM   #15
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I disagree that you should start with episode 1 of doctor 9. I started in the middle. Honestly I started with the 10th doctor. I kept hearing about the show but it was something DH would watch and I would sleep through (even when DH would come to bed TERRIFIED).

I think the 11th doctor (current doctor Matt Smith) started well and explained the show well. I felt I was learning things with that doctor that made me want to go back and watch the rest of the shows of the current series. So now I have seen all of the current series shows.

The 11th doctor also has the benefit of a new doctor and new companion. So your not walking into something new and old, much like the 9th doctor.

I got my father watching from the first doctor though. So who knows what is best?

My
Old 01-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #16
ktarsha
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBAki View Post
Does this show start out slow? We actually tried watching the season 1 and I fell asleep within the first 30 minutes. It wasn't boring but there was just too much going on...
Episode 1 of Season 1 does start out kind of slow, but (in my opinion) subsequent episodes get moving more quickly.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:56 AM   #17
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktarsha View Post
Episode 1 of Season 1 does start out kind of slow, but (in my opinion) subsequent episodes get moving more quickly.
I just felt like everything was moving too fast Will have to try watching it again...
Old 02-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #18
c&w's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

so funny! I just saw a couple episodes for the first time in over a decade!

I grew up with the old series... I had trouble getting into the new one. I need a 12 foot scarf to get into it. lol. Tom Baker will always be my favorite. Luckily I didn't just date myself as he was the Doctor forever.
c&w's mama is offline   Reply With Quote