Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2013, 11:41 AM   #111
Beesgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki

I agree but is this like the regular TV ABC channel? I am totally shocked that they could drop an eff bomb on regular TV.

I've never seen nudity on regular TV or heard cursing on regular TV. At least not that I can remember. Probably mild cursing... but the eff bomb? Never.

Have I been away from regular TV that long? I'm actually really surprised.
ABC Family is a cable channel, I don't watch it though so I can't speak to language I just know the shows are garbage.

Advertisement

Kate, mama to
Miles (2.11.06), Levi (6.24.09) and Isaac (9.25.11)
Beesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #112
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: I'm thinking the T.V. is gonna go soon if I have to see another....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beesgirl View Post
ABC Family is a cable channel, I don't watch it though so I can't speak to language I just know the shows are garbage.
oooh ok. Thx. That why I was so shocked. I didn't realize it was on Cable.

I agree their name is obviously not well picked out if they are dropping eff bombs.

But at least it's not on regular TV. That would REALLY shock me.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #113
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

Yeah we were at a hotel and had no idea because we don't have cable--we thought family meant family friendly. Ha!

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #114
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLovely View Post
Marginalizing women into what they wear and deeming it "trashy" is much more damaging than seeing a little skin. Beyonce is a committed wife, talented musician, doting mother, politically active, smart businesswoman and makes a point to use her influence to empower young women ("Independent Women", anyone?). You may not choose to use your hard-earned, rockin' bod in your art. She does. Doesn't make it wrong, and thankfully it's easy to turn off the TV. Nobody expects The Wiggles to perform at halftime, so I'm amused by the outrage that it's not "family friendly."
Beyonce and many other female musicians have been marganilized by men in the music industry that use their bodies to sell music. She was a lot more modest in Destiny's child, but sex sells, so she sold out to make more $. How is that an example of a strong woman in the music industry? Is this what I want to t teach my daughter, that if she is actually talented, she should give up on that idea, just to make more money. I hate the idea of a strong woman now. Women have always been strong. Just shaking your booty doesn't make you inherently strong. Yes, being sexy is fine, more power to her, but she did it to make $. IMHO, one of the things wrong with the idea of the perfect women is that it assumes that women are strong now if they are working and making tons of $, but women throughout history have always been strong. Do you not think it takes a lot of strength to be a woman regardless of what she wears. If I raise three children, cook and make meals for my family and teach them, am I not a strong woman? This culture does more damage by having one idea of what strong means. Am I a stronger woman if I have a boss or a career? Women that used to make all of their children's clothes, knit, weave, tell stories, raise their kids, etc were as strong as the modern women. Would I be stronger if I did my job in leather underwear? The fallacy and the trap modern women believe about what constitutes a strong woman puts all women in a box. To me, she represents a woman who has sold out to make more money, and bought into the male gaze. Even women with a career generally have to answer to a boss instead of being at home. What is the difference?

Also, Janet Jackson claimed that was an accident,but I am pretty sure, just like all the other performances, it was on purpose. I just don't want my daughter to think she needs to show everything to be strong. She is strong because she is who she is.

Last edited by Vivhop98; 02-05-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Vivhop98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #115
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivhop98

Beyonce and many other female musicians have been marganilized by men in the music industry that use their bodies to sell music. She was a lot more modest in Destiny's child, but sex sells, so she sold out to make more $. How is that an example of a strong woman in the music industry? Us this want I want t teach my daughter, that if she is actually talented, she should give up on that idea, just to make more money. I hate the idea of a strong woman now. Women have always been strong. Just shaking your booty doesn't make you inherently strong. Yes, being sexy is fine, more power to her, bit she did it to make $. IMHO, one of the things wrong with the idea of the perfect women is that it assumes that women are strong now if they are working and making tons of $, but women throughout history have always been strong. Do you not think it takes a lot of strength to be aleve rage woman regardless of what she wears. If I raise three children, cook and make meals for my family and teach them, am I not a strong woman? This culture does more damage by having one idea of what strong means. Am I more strong if I have a boss or a career? Women that used to make all of their children's clothes, knit, weave, tell stories, raise their kids, etc were as strong as the modern women. Would I be stronger if I did my job in leather underwear? The fallacy and the trap modern women believe about what constitutes a strong woman puts all women in a box. To me, she represents a woman who has sold out to make more money, and bought into the male gaze.

Also, Janet Jackson claimed that was an accident,but I am pretty sure, just like all the other performances, it was on purpose. I just don't want my daughter to think she needs to show everything to be strong. She is strong because she is who she is.
Well said mama!!
theonenonlymrssmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #116
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonenonlymrssmith View Post
Well said mama!!
I am glad you could understand it. there were many mistakes from my autocorrect!
Old 02-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #117
KLeeCW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't read all the other comments because there are so many of them, but every time I see the NYQuits smoking infomercials I threaten to get rid of the TV. I understand why they are there and I understand that they may help a smoker quit (questionable in my opinion as most of the smokers I've asked say they just ignore the commercials or it makes them anxious so they smoke another, cuz that makes sense), but I am so sick of seeing those vile graphic commercials. I'm sick of my kids seeing them. We are a non smoking family and I hate that I have to see it because someone else hasn't figured out in their lifetime the obvious fact that smoking destroys the human body. If they only showed the commercial later at night, I still wouldn't like it, but it'd be fine. Except they don't, we've seen it frequently during family programming. I hate it. We have bunny ears though and watch minimal tv.
KLeeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #118
squiddles
Registered Users
seller

Last edited by squiddles; 07-23-2013 at 11:01 AM.
squiddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:03 PM   #119
Arabesque
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam's mum

This I agree with. I had to stop watching Criminal Minds because every.single.episode was misogynist ****ographic violence.
Having just finished watching Criminal Minds, I feel the need to comment on this.

The show is based on a unit in the FBI that provides criminal profiling to various police departments in the US. Typically, their services are requested when dealing with serial killers. Serial killers are typically - I can't recall the numbers, but female serial killers are incredibly rare.

While the acts committed by serial killers may be sexual in nature, they are often more about asserting power than the sexual act itself.

It stands to reason that a show based on this FBI unit would feature a large number of male serial killers who rape and torture their victims.

While I do find the show disturbing, it's actually more because of the knowledge that killers like this really do exist. Of course, I do have a degree in criminology, which may explain my fascination with the show.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:07 AM   #120
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
Having just finished watching Criminal Minds, I feel the need to comment on this.

The show is based on a unit in the FBI that provides criminal profiling to various police departments in the US. Typically, their services are requested when dealing with serial killers. Serial killers are typically - I can't recall the numbers, but female serial killers are incredibly rare.

While the acts committed by serial killers may be sexual in nature, they are often more about asserting power than the sexual act itself.

It stands to reason that a show based on this FBI unit would feature a large number of male serial killers who rape and torture their victims.

While I do find the show disturbing, it's actually more because of the knowledge that killers like this really do exist. Of course, I do have a degree in criminology, which may explain my fascination with the show.
It's not the concept of the show that bothers me, it's the way that increasingly the torture and killing of the victims - who were always young, conventionally attractive women (which is not sociologically accurate) - was lovingly and meticulously portrayed on screen.

It reminds me of renaissance artists who wanted to paint naked ladies so they did and said they were goddesses and the Virgin Mary.

I get that the point is that the killers are pyschopaths (and that the crux is the team has to get into the mind of a psychopath), but I also get the unshakable feeling that the producers collude in eroticising the violence, (while maintaining the get-out clause that the "unsub" is a sicko).