Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #21
Spunkify's Avatar
Spunkify
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 1,680
My Mood:
Re: If you do not live in the US...

I think it's ridiculous to tell someone what they need to disclose on a board because it may impact the way others react and interact with them. It also functions under the assumption that the region/area/country you currently live has defined you and every other person in your area in a similar way...and that of course is just not the case.

Maybe instead of telling everyone to put location in everyone should be reminded there is another person, with feelings, behind the screen-that person could be your best friend, sister-in-law, future son-in-law's mother, etc. and that no one is perfect-no matter what they try to present here on DS- check your Tiaras at the door.

Advertisement

__________________
JAMIE: Blessed, spunky, kinda crunchy, attached mama to 5.
Firefighter & EMT in training. In love with my firefighter.


Last edited by Spunkify; 02-05-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Spunkify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #22
JennTheMomma's Avatar
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,820
My Mood:
Re: If you do not live in the US...

I can see where the OP is coming from, but... We live in America but we don't live/raise our kids culturally American. If that makes sense.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:52 PM   #23
blesdfish's Avatar
blesdfish
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austin, tx
Posts: 1,964
My Mood:
Re: If you do not live in the US...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshPants View Post
now a non typical texan is going to reply and shout at me
Ooh ohh me me!! Well, I. Not going to yell at you, and yes, Texas is a country. I was actually born in the commonwealth of Pennsylvania, but I grew up in Mexico then eventually moved to Texas by way of Arizona... Doesn't fit in my siggy
__________________
Hope -wife to Mark -mommy to Jack(2-15-07) Silas(12-18-08) Mercy(8-13-10)
Iris(6-2-12)
blesdfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #24
MeCo7707's Avatar
MeCo7707
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,976
My Mood:
Re: If you do not live in the US...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairycat View Post
What about a split personality? You are from the US but live out of the country, then you really will have a different perspective on some things
This, right now I am in America, but I have lived in th uk, and hoping to move down under...my views usually clash w the majority here

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiddles View Post
I totally get where the OP is coming from... I can think of a recent thread where knowing this info would have hopefully prevented the onslaught of daggers from the rest of the holier than thou moms...

As someone who has traveled the world extensively and very aware of cultural differences... The differences between cultures around the world are INCREDIBLY more intense than the those between States, political parties, parenting practices in USA etc... so it's not the same...

However, I'm not sure it's fair to ask those outside of the USA to identify that about themselves... common knowledge (to me...) says, that when they come here to post something about their life, they would preface it with a disclosure about where they are from... since the majority of DS members are American... but that's "my" common sense... LOL
While I agree, I think it is a weird assumption, the fact is we should always be aware that our reality is not everyones reality...if both the American and the non-A,merican had some understanding it might not matter where they are from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunkify View Post
I think it's ridiculous to tell someone what they need to disclose on a board because it may impact the way others react and interact with them. It also functions under the assumption that the region/area/country you currently live has defined you and every other person in your area in a similar way...and that of course is just not the case.

Maybe instead of telling everyone to put location in everyone should be reminded there is another person, with feelings, behind the screen-that person could be your best friend, sister-in-law, future son-in-law's mother, etc. and that no one is perfect-no matter what they try to present here on DS- check your Tiaras at the door.
I could kiss ya for that, the snarkiness is sometimes unnecessary and I hope we all can see that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
I can see where the OP is coming from, but... We live in America but we don't live/raise our kids culturally American. If that makes sense.
same here
__________________
Stop Stalking Me
MeCo7707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #25
Mom23kids
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,346
My Mood:
Re: If you do not live in the US...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeCo7707 View Post
This, right now I am in America, but I have lived in th uk, and hoping to move down under...my views usually clash w the majority here



While I agree, I think it is a weird assumption, the fact is we should always be aware that our reality is not everyones reality...if both the American and the non-A,merican had some understanding it might not matter where they are from.


I could kiss ya for that, the snarkiness is sometimes unnecessary and I hope we all can see that.


same here
I know my reality isn't everyone else's. I've learned a lot about different perspectives and tolerance on the interwebs (and patients I've taken care of) over the past 10+ years, and I'm generally silent when I disagree with something. But I guess I have my limits. I'm human. I'm sorry I offended earlier. Not sorry for my beliefs, however. Being open minded and generally liberal doesn't mean I have to agree with all perspectives on this board.
Mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #26
mommabritt's Avatar
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
Posts: 9,876
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by willownz
You cant see location when you are in the app, so that isnt much help. Mine is in my siggy though which I have turned on.

Kiwi mum of 4 including Benjamin born still at 19 weeks on Jan 17th 2013.
I'm only ever on the app I can see location on some and not on others.
__________________
Hi, I'm Brittney
Wife to one amazing man.
Mom to FOUR amazing blessings.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:31 PM   #27
MeCo7707's Avatar
MeCo7707
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,976
My Mood:
Re: If you do not live in the US...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom23kids View Post
I know my reality isn't everyone else's. I've learned a lot about different perspectives and tolerance on the interwebs (and patients I've taken care of) over the past 10+ years, and I'm generally silent when I disagree with something. But I guess I have my limits. I'm human. I'm sorry I offended earlier. Not sorry for my beliefs, however. Being open minded and generally liberal doesn't mean I have to agree with all perspectives on this board.
I was speaking in generalities...I have literally no clue what you are talking about. I've just noticed in my years here that whenever cultural differnces appear it is more often then not a snarkfest. I don't think you offended me...unless I am off in la la land...which is totally possible
__________________
Stop Stalking Me
MeCo7707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #28
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la la land
Posts: 19,890
Re: If you do not live in the US...

I guess I haven't witnessed enough situations here where it was a true misunderstanding. More of the time it's a personal attitude thing. Rude is rude, it doesn't matter where you came from or currently live.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #29
Mom23kids
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,346
My Mood:
Re: If you do not live in the US...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeCo7707 View Post
I was speaking in generalities...I have literally no clue what you are talking about. I've just noticed in my years here that whenever cultural differnces appear it is more often then not a snarkfest. I don't think you offended me...unless I am off in la la land...which is totally possible
I think I offended some people earlier today. Probably shouldn't rehash it here, though.

I find cultural differences fascinating. I also find trying to figure out why people do what they do fascinating. People are so complex.
Mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #30
twinmomstl's Avatar
twinmomstl
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 2,717
My Mood:
Re: If you do not live in the US...

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiddles View Post
I totally get where the OP is coming from... I can think of a recent thread where knowing this info would have hopefully prevented the onslaught of daggers from the rest of the holier than thou moms...

As someone who has traveled the world extensively and very aware of cultural differences... The differences between cultures around the world are INCREDIBLY more intense than the those between States, political parties, parenting practices in USA etc... so it's not the same...

However, I'm not sure it's fair to ask those outside of the USA to identify that about themselves... common knowledge (to me...) says, that when they come here to post something about their life, they would preface it with a disclosure about where they are from... since the majority of DS members are American... but that's "my" common sense... LOL
I so want to know what thread this is.... I smell drama
__________________
Working my dream job as NICU Nurse . I have two not so little monsters Dominick and Gavin born 08/08/08 Still TTC #3
twinmomstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.