Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-04-2013, 02:56 PM   #21
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Whats your take on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaaag View Post
How is this free? When I looked at it each course was around 500.00.

Sent from my Smartphone using DS Forum
They do have a paid program too. In some areas only K12 or only Connections will be chartered or they may only be chartered for certain grades so you have to do some looking around. I think at this point most states have at least one or the other available.

Advertisement

iris0110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #22
Chasing Zen
Registered Users
Formerly: ccsmom11
seller

My Mood:

I think you should totally homeschool Mama! I don't know much about Virtual School as we homeschool (Unschooling) though.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #23
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Not my cup of tea. The district I teach in started one as a money maker. It costs them almost nothing to operate, but the state pays them the same per-pupil rate they pay traditional schools. Achieve Virtual Academy... http://www.wayne.k12.in.us/virtualacademy/

I did my masters online. I know what it is like to go to school online. DH did a correspondence HS program for 2 years. He hated it and went back to public school as soon as his figure skating schedule allowed.

After doing a degree online through Indiana University, I just didn't get the same thing out of it that you do in a traditional building. A class discussion on an internet forum is not the same as a class discussion in one room. You don't get the same amount of feedback as in the classroom. You also have to be self-motivated because there isn't a teacher there encouraging you all day long, or redirecting you when you are off task.

It may work for some kids, but was definitely not for me. I feel like my friends who did their degrees in the classroom got a lot more out of it than I did, but with a 3 year old and a special needs baby, and working full time, classroom wasn't a possibility for me.

A friend of my mom's did Connections for her daughter after she was being bullied and pictures of her naked were circulated at the school (she wasn't an innocent darling, if you know what I mean), but it wasn't a good fit. She went back to public school after about a month. Her mom did an out of district transfer for her.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 02-04-2013 at 04:30 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #24
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Idk anything about virtual schooling but after reading your post, I would get my kids out of there asap. It is so terribly sad to me that your little 1st grader said she'd rather be in ISS than with her classmates and teacher!!!
Old 02-05-2013, 02:56 AM   #25
suthrnmomto3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thank you ladies...I'm wondering about virtual school since it seemed the easiest with they keep up with everything and it seeming the cheapest option...I don't know what to do I'm just sick of crappy public school!!!
Old 02-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #26
missemily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have public but private (not k-12 but a cyber school that is state wide) that is WONDERFUL! My 10 year old loves it!! HE is in his second year. We only have to sign on once a day (no hourly commitment) and it really operates more like a daily lesson plan for each subject rather unlike K-12. Oh and next year they have an arts center that he can attend once a week for music/art/dance lessons. He is already in Advanced Irish Dance and takes guitar lessons so he is excited about this.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #27
suthrnmomto3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Grrr had to write the bus driver this morning again this year. Apparently the new girl sitting with the girls is older and likes to bully them. She lies on them and pulls their hair. She is a big high schooler my daughter's told me. So I wrote a rather not nice note stating that I thought this was a zero tolerance bullying school and I think that this girl needs some consequences for her actions since she obviously thinks that this type of behavior is okay. I stated that I knew my children were not saints as no child is but this was unacceptable behavior and my girls will not deal with this. They dread getting on and off that bus for the time they have to spend there and I do not have the means to carry them every morning and pick them up every afternoon and that I shouldn't have to.
My girls have never had this Mich trouble anywhere...no they aren't saints but this isn't anywhere in comparision to their talking and turning their butts around in the seats...at least they don't pick on other smaller children...although taelyn my first grader is the size of a preschooler lol and brylei whose suppose to be in third isn't much bigger than kids in taelyn class. This is not the first note I've written to this bus driver whom was taelyn kindergarten assistant. I've had boys on that bus hitting and pinching them and kicking them. Also another high school girl that was in their seat before being rather rude and hitting things from my daughter's hands or throwing their items they had out the window. I've had a boy threaten to kill them...bc he had a shotgun at his house. The bus driver has told me on the past and I quote "do you really want me to start having to turn everyone in because I will and your kids aren't saints by any standards. If I turn people in to get paddled or suspended off the bus then can you afford to have them be car riders everyday?" Hence what I said to her in my note. Let's see what she did about it by this afternoon. Taelyn was being bullied by 2 girls in her class and all they did was get their name written on the board for a checkmark...no missed recess or anything...why we'll because of who they are...and that's the school for you. I've thought of calling the state office and making a complaint but not sure it would do any good at all. But I'll update on what the bus driver says but I don't expect very much action to be taken.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #28
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

There is a school district in my state that offers a virtual academy. Each child gets a stipend each year depending on grade level. So for example my 4k child get's $500 a year and my sixth grade child will get $1500 per year. So our family cap is $2000. We get to choose our own curriculum as long as it is not religious. We submit a form and the school deducts the price of the materials out of the stipend. They order the books and they come to us directly. Each child gets a laptop to borrow and each family gets one ipad. School is year round, there is no logging in or anything. We keep our own records and grades. Each area has a liason teacher who is available for help, resources, etc. The only testing is the WKCE for certain grades each year. I can't wait to start in July. Oh and the rest of your money (if any is left over after materials) can be used towards anything extra (art, music, phy ed type stuff). So I can use it towards gymnastics, piano, karate, what have you. Maybe there is something like that in your state? You won't be able to do an out of state virtual school but I am willing to bet there are school districts in your state that offer something. We did one year at Wisconsin Virtual Learning and I didn't like it because you had to log on five days a week, only two curriculum choices, and a bunch of dumb classes my kids didn't need. Oh and my (at the time) kindergartner was breezing through Kindergarten and I asked for her to be tested and they said no. So she ended up doing Kindergarten and half of first grade in one year. Waste of my time. So yeah typical charter schools are not my cup of tea.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #29
Chasing Zen
Registered Users
Formerly: ccsmom11
seller

My Mood:

I'm so sorry for your poor girls Mama
Old 02-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #30
suthrnmomto3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Bus driver wrote me a letter. I was fairly nice in mine other than to tell her that I was sick of the older kids picking on the younger ones but her response was not nice. She basically called my girls liars because the older girl said she didn't do it...her word was enough like kids don't ever lie...esp older ones right? And even if it was true it had happened one time...not multiple. It was not bullying. And that she felt no need to adjust her seating arrangements she had according to behavior and how they got on and off the bus. I at least said thank you and such but her not nope no nothing. She told the girls that pulling hair and lying on them is not bullying it was a part of school they couldn't be sheltered and do good in school...everyone has to deal with circumstances they don't like at least a little through school. Ummmmmmmm no they do not in my opinion...did I mention this school system is whacked and I hate it?