Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #21
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: I'm seriously going to delete this after I get an answer

I can only sustain mammals.

And only certain ones.

Fish - dead.

Plants - SOOO dead.

Flowers - D.O.A.

bird - didn't stand a chance

hamster - dead as a door nail.

Turtle is still alive b/c my kids remember to feed it. Otherwise - dead.

Cat & dog - barely living.

DH - he's half alive.

Kids are thriving. That's b/c I am terrified of CPS.

Advertisement

Last edited by Kiliki; 02-05-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #22
nicolemariep
Registered Users
seller

The only houseplant I've ever had was named Von Chi-Chi. He was a durable little dude I got in college. He lived in my dark apartment with me and was rarely watered and spent most of his time in the dark. Once a month or so, when he started to look sad and droopy, I would put him out on the patio for a day or two and he would perk up and be fine.

When I moved to Boise, I took Von Chi-Chi with me. (Yes, I moved a plant 500 miles with me. Come on, I named him.) The trip left him looking a little sad, so I did his favorite thing when we arrived at our new home, I put him out on the porch.

A day later, I found Von Chi-Chi, not perked up and refreshed as I had expected. Rather he was dead. Really dead. It turns out that plants who like a brief vacation to the outdoors of 70-80 degree weather Washington do no necessarily like travelling 500 miles in a u-haul and then being subjected to 105 degree temperatures. How was I supposed to know.

The moral of the story: Boise killed Von Chi-Chi. I really didn't have anything to do with his untimely demise.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #23
nicolemariep
Registered Users
seller

The only houseplant I've ever had was named Von Chi-Chi. He was a durable little dude I got in college. He lived in my dark apartment with me and was rarely watered and spent most of his time in the dark. Once a month or so, when he started to look sad and droopy, I would put him out on the patio for a day or two and he would perk up and be fine.

When I moved to Boise, I took Von Chi-Chi with me. (Yes, I moved a plant 500 miles with me. Come on, I named him.) The trip left him looking a little sad, so I did his favorite thing when we arrived at our new home, I put him out on the porch.

A day later, I found Von Chi-Chi, not perked up and refreshed as I had expected. Rather he was dead. Really dead. It turns out that plants who like a brief vacation to the outdoors of 70-80 degree weather Washington do no necessarily like travelling 500 miles in a u-haul and then being subjected to 105 degree temperatures. How was I supposed to know.

The moral of the story: Boise killed Von Chi-Chi. I really didn't have anything to do with his untimely demise.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #24
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

"Boise killed Von Chi-Chi" sounds like the title of a murder mystery. I have a tomato plant and some herbs growing in a window in my dining room. Most of the day they're in the sun and then at night I leave the dining room light on while I cook dinner and till after I clean up the table, it has a nice bright bulb in it. Gives enough extra light to keep them growing at a good clip and nice dark green. It's not level 2 gardening.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #25
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolemariep View Post

Let's have a moment of silence for Von Chi-Chi. Poor guy. May he rest in peace.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #26
Kyonarai
Registered Users
seller

Sorry, I'm no help, I just grow cacti and easy veggies. I just got a new barrel cactus. We named him Brom.
Kyonarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:02 PM   #27
LittleThingsMama638
Registered Users
seller

No help either. Dh keeps saying he wants a garden, I keep telling him you have to actually be able to keep things alive or a garden to work. Fil have me a rosemary tree once. I killed it in two days. I did keep a miniature rose plant thingy alive for a couple months once. but i put it outside because i thought it would like sun and fresh air instead of sitting on my window sill. Turns out it wasn't supposed to have direct sunlight, sorry for being thoughtful rose plant thingy, My solution is just to not have plants.
LittleThingsMama638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #28
ktarsha
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
Growing season refers to the natural cycles that the conditions are optimal for plant growth and yes that's different everywhere. Even indoors, these plants are subjective to the short winter daylight and go into dormant phase if you don't provide an indoor plant light.
This is pretty much what I was going to say.

As one of the previous posters mentioned, philodendron is a plant-killer's dream. I got one from a coworker years ago; he had left it in the bed of his truck, with one of those truck bed caps on, in the middle of a south Georgia summer. The poor thing was fried. A little water (and the more temperate climate of my house) and it sprang back to life and lived for many years. I've also found African violets to be fairly easy. I have several in a south-facing windowsill, all thriving and one just blooming its little heart out. The only attention they usually get is watering (when I remember - you'd think I'd remember more often, as they're right over the kitchen sink) and occasionally I cut off the dead flowers and leaves. Otherwise, total neglect.

Also, I can keep regular plants alive just fine, but I have killed a cactus.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #29
erin_c_odonnell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only View Post
I thought I read somewhere that "talking" to your plants help keep them alive. I am dead serious. I don't know if it's legit but once upon a time I read that somewhere. Or maybe it was singing.

Anyhow, try it. Talk to your plants. You can even do it bored housewife style and gossip to them AND sing bored housewife gossip for good measure. Watch them flourish. Haha.
Or you could buy it a little tv and it could listen to daytime soap operas
Old 02-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #30
Only
Registered Users
Formerly: hu**rees
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_c_odonnell

Or you could buy it a little tv and it could listen to daytime soap operas
This 2013, put that baby on TLC for an episode of Honey Boo Boo or Toddlers and Tiaras.

Austen 06/12
Only is offline   Reply With Quote