Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #11
kirst
Registered Users
seller

Re: Wool Longies/Lanolin make eczema worse?

Disana is exceptionally fine milled wool and, from what I hav heard, often doesn't irritate those with wool allergies who can't tolerate other brands.

I have terrible excema on my hands, but it heals up a bit whenever I hand wash his woolies and lanolinize them. But excema is such an individual thing, and your baby could have an allergy to sheep or to lanolin, or to both, or to something else in the wool wash. You could try washing them in baby shampoo and adding a protein hair conditioner to soften the fibers. Pet shampoo works great, too as it is designed for fur and usually has protein in it.

Advertisement

kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #12
Junipervt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

when DS has an eczema outbreak some of his longies aggravate it. funny thing is the ones that do are the ones I consider softer (gaia worsted & bulky) & he'll be fine in cestari.

we use cj's unscented as a daily maintenance for his skin & treat more serious outbreaks w/ a rx steroid we got from his Dr.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #13
gbabies2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonipie View Post
IDK but my youngest and my DD's skin does better with wool. My youngest has it the worst of all 3 and when I put on freshly lanolized longies his skin looks perfect.
Okay, that is making me feel a bit more optimistic. Maybe I should not be so quick to sell my wool, huh?
gbabies2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #14
gbabies2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junipervt View Post
when DS has an eczema outbreak some of his longies aggravate it. funny thing is the ones that do are the ones I consider softer (gaia worsted & bulky) & he'll be fine in cestari.

we use cj's unscented as a daily maintenance for his skin & treat more serious outbreaks w/ a rx steroid we got from his Dr.
LOL, that is funny! I just started using CJ's for the eczema spots and am hopeful that it helps! I have seen pics of bad eczema and by no means is this bad . . . so that at least is a good thing!
Old 02-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #15
gbabies2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissed by the Moon View Post
It's probably the wool wash. My guy is very sensitive and we wear wool daily. But when I traded for some, he totally broke out. I rewashed and he's been fine.
You know what, I did wash one pair of longies (the Crat) in a sample I got and it was scented. I used it b/c my longies smelled to "sheepish" to me . . . wonder if that is the issue? I hope
Old 02-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #16
superfox
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaylee
Well, I am hoping that all wool is not the same because I have a pair of interlock longies that I bought new and lanolized, but when I draped it over my arm, it felt prickly. I had DS1 put his arm through the pant leg without telling him why, and after half a minute, he said it was itchy, so I never put it on the baby. I am holding out hope that there is a super soft brand that will work for us.

Baby's skin is perfect right now. I am nervous mess around with wool and irritate him. He gets itchy around his belly and ankles.

I have thought about trying disana, but hesitate to invest too much in wool that might not work for him. Does disana feel irritating on your skin if you put your arm through it?

Maybe someone else has some suggestions.
You could wash it in conditioner and possibly soften it up.
I also carry Bee Green Naturals wool wash products on my HC store
superfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #17
tentrevival
Registered Users
seller

I don't have a problem using lanolin for breastfeeding, but my son's up-cycled wool pieces make me itch. I'm hoping we have better luck with interlock, because the processing is so pure, but wool may just not work for us.
Wife to RJ, who makes the world a beautiful place. Adoring Momma to Efrim Phoenix, my little prince (8-17-09), Julian Russell, my wild thing (11-04-10), Oscar Pax, our little bear (8-16-13), and missing Lucy Soul (1-29-12)
tentrevival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #18
momma_dna
Registered Users
seller
seller

All wool is definitely not created equal. I thought I was allergic to wool until I came across GMDs website. So I decided to give Disanas a try. They are soft and not scratchy and do not cause us any irritations. If you are wanting to try a soft interlock, Wild Coconut Wear is amazing. There is a BST on Facebook too. If you buy from her HC store, you will need to email her and request she doesn't spray the piece with lano spray as it is scented. It smells divine but if your LO is sensitive to scents she will not spray it before she sends. She has gotten this request before as there is a momma on the BST who's little one is sensitive to it.
momma_dna is offline   Reply With Quote