Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Wool help

Does anyone know of a good link (I'm sure there's gotta be a post in here somewhere...needs to be a sticky!) that compares different kinds of wool yarns and the pros and cons of each? Like this one's soft but it pills like crazy, this one's pricey and a little scratchy but it doesn't pill and lasts forever, this one loses its shape, this one felts way too easily, etc.

I'm ready to graduate from craft store yarn to something a little nicer (can't break the bank though!) but I'm just overwhelmed with all the options. I got some longies on FSOT that are insanely soft...dh didn't even believe they're wool...crazy soft but they pill so bad I hate to use them. Within an hour of rolling and scooting around, they look like something the cat coughed up! I have to shave them a few times a day just to keep them looking at all decent. I don't know what they are but I sure don't want any of that yarn. I've also got some that are Cestari and I love those. The yarn is really bulky but it's soft (not quite as soft as the others) but it doesn't pill at all. And it just seems "durable". Looking around though, I only see cool dye-jobs on Cestari sock yarn. So there's Purewool and Peace Fleece and BFL and Peruvian and Merino and Alpaca (and of course all the different brands of those) and single ply and 3-ply and handspun and kettle-dyed and tie-dyed and hand-painted. And then I have to figure out how far it's going to go. Oy! My head's spinning!

I just want something soft and sturdy (and I like bulky) and pretty in the <$20/ball range to try out. Thoughts? THANK YOU!

Advertisement

Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Wool help

Well don't I feel dumb! I just found this thread (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d.php?t=129834) in the "Useful threads" thread. I knew I had seen it somewhere before...not sure how I overlooked it today. Call it new mommy brain.
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote