Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
rockchikcassie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
3 across in 02 4runner...opinions

We are having another baby in June and are trying to decide on the best combo of seats for our kids and our car. We currently have a 2002 Toyota 4Runner which means we only have the top latch system, not the base hooks so we will be using seat belts to strap everyone in.

We have a 5 year old (45lbs) and our youngest will be 2 when the baby gets here. The 2 year old is small (23lbs at 21 months) and he is currently rear facing and will be for quite some time I think. 5 year old has outgrown the harness on his current seat and needs a seat made for bigger kids with a harness so he can be in the middle seat which only has a lap belt.

I was considering getting 2 radians for the 2 and 5 year olds (either 120s or RXT). I'm trying to decide if we could get away with just the 120 for both of them and then switch them to boosters when they get to big for them since that is still a ways down the road.

For the baby we are considering the Cybex Aton or the Maxi Cosi Prezi since they are about the same width as the Radians (around 17"). I've heard the baby trend are narrow as well but really hard to install. I would love to find seats that are a little cheaper since this is going to eat up a huge chunk of our tax return (almost $1000 on 3 seats). The seats we have now weren't bought for their size and they are both pretty bulky so I know they will have to be replaced in order to get 3 seats in.

If anyone has any opinions on whether to go with a Radian 120 or RXT or has another option for a narrow convertible seat please let me know!

Also, if you have an opinion on either of the seats we're considering or if you know of another ultra narrow infant seat, please let me know!

Considering getting just another Radian for the baby but it looks like it will be to big rear-facing and reclined enough for the baby to fit comfortably behind the drivers seat and I'm concerned with trying to carry the newborn and 2 year old out to the car and getting them in at the same time. We live on a really busy road and I don't trust the 2 year old to walk out to the car on his own yet

Thanks so much!!

Advertisement

Full time student, mommy and wife! Love the boys in my life Chase, DS Merrick aka Batman (2/08), Silas (5/11) & #3 coming 6/13

ISO/IHA: http://diaperswappers.com/forum/show....php?t=1286842
rockchikcassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #2
You Tell 'Em
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: 3 across in 02 4runner...opinions

I don't have that car, don't know how the seats are but we ended up buying 2 Radians and a Combi Cocorro. My DDs are the same ages/close to the same weight as yours (5.5 yr old and 45#, 2 yr old and almost 30#). We did seatbelt installs on all of them and only the FF Radian (5.5 yr old) has the top latch since the other 2 seats are RF.

I would suggest, since you have time, and if you haven't already is do a baby registry on Amazon and add the seats you want and when it gets closer to your due date (or you can always make it sooner for the registry) you'll get 10% off remaining items. It just has to be active for 14 days before you do it, that's what we did to get the 2nd Radian (so we could move DD#1 into the middle FF so DD#2 isn't next to baby, just in case ).

Our DD#1 is at the top part of the harness (she's 45-46" tall) so not as much room left as opposed to her Frontier 85 she was using previously (it only fit behind the passenger safely in our vehicle) but at least she fits and it works well for our needs right now.

Are you a WAHM crafter looking for an easy way to track inventory and pricing? I <3 using Craftybase!
Looking to add an advocacy design to your own shirt? All screen printed transfers are for sale on my Etsy store!
You Tell 'Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
rockchikcassie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 3 across in 02 4runner...opinions

The backseat is just a bench seat, no hump in the middle or anything which makes things much easier!

I'll check on that infant seat and see what the width is.

I prefer my oldest to be between the other two as well, figure he's less likely to want to poke the baby lol.

Babies r us has the radian RXT for $231 right now but none of the stores near me have them and they aren't available for shipping I'd love to pick up 2 of them for that price tho! I will have to give amazon a go, I think they price match and if they won't I can do the registry. I did that at bru with the last baby to get our high chair for a good price

Thanks for your response! Trying to figure all of this out is driving me crazy and I know we won't have the funds again before the baby gets here so I would like to just get it taken care of ASAP!
Full time student, mommy and wife! Love the boys in my life Chase, DS Merrick aka Batman (2/08), Silas (5/11) & #3 coming 6/13

ISO/IHA: http://diaperswappers.com/forum/show....php?t=1286842
rockchikcassie is offline   Reply With Quote