Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-06-2013, 11:08 AM   #21
MamaJules
Registered Users
seller

Re: Packing Lunches for Daycare

Yeah, as others said it all depends on the policy of the daycare center. If they allow outside foods, then I can't imagine why they would have a problem with you sending her lunch. As long as you aren't sending things that will require a lot of extra work for them to get ready. The biggest thing I see in what you said that might cause a problem is your child not sleeping in a crib. It might help your child to adjust better if you start now doing some nap times in a crib or pack n play.

Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #22
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

My twins started daycare at 2 years 2 months. At home we ate/eat about 90% organic. We talked to daycare about sending in their own foods b/c we knew the menu was nearly all processed foods, etc. But decided it would be better for them to do everything just ilke the other kids. I didn't want them to have to have 'special' food when they wanted what their friends were having. The only exception we've made is that we do send in their local organic milk. The other kids have milk too, so it is no different to any of them.
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #23
Huxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I called the daycare today and I'm going for a visit tomorrow morning. I'm going to write down all my questions tonight. I'm beyond jealous of all the stay at home moms.
Huxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #24
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4 View Post
That really depends on the center and the child. I was a preschool teacher and have also worked for years in daycare and preschool. In a home based one it usually works well for a parent to come in. In larger centers not so much. Especially if the child cries when left or has separation anxiety. It takes way longer for those kids to adjust to day care. It is very dependent on the child and the center. And the older they get it causes a big disruption to the class itself if multiple parents coming in and staying isn't a regular occurrence. Every center I have worked at encouraged parents to occasionally stop by but asked if you wanted to eat lunch with your child that you pick them up and return them after lunch rather then stay in the classroom. I would not be allowed at all to go into my daughter elementary school and sit to have lunch with her. For security reasons there is no way her elementary school would allow that.
yeah I have worked at about 6 diff preschools or daycares and it was fine with all of them (some were chain centers like la petite and kindercare). And around here, moms go to the schools all the time to have lunch with their kids. They just sign in :shrug:
Old 02-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #25
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

I had one boy (We called him Salad John) Who would only eat salad prepared by his Mom. Nobody else could touch his salad. He knew the name of every vegetable ever. He was an encyclopedia of vegetables.

So, while it was occasionally a slight pain in the neck to deal with lunch, and his lunch too, it wasn't obnoxious or anything. I doubt I would have cooked anything separate for him, but really, how hard is it to open a glass jar and pour it in a bowl?

I think if you are fixing things that don't need to be heated or cooked, and it's not junk food, I bet they will be O.K with it.

I think most daycares will say "no" because more often than not, the child will come to school with ziplocks full or cheetoes and oreos.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #26
Huxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would be sending her pieces of fruit, organic cheese, homemade soup, moose meatballs, steamed veggies, and other healthy (mostly finger) foods. Right now a typical lunch is pieces of soft fruit or yogurt and oatmeal or a combination. I imagine she'll eat larger portions as she gets older. Right now milk still is her main meal.

Thank you everyone for all the different points of view.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #27
GreyMum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi - Just a few thoughts! You sound a lot like me, except for the moose meatballs! :-) My daughter goes part-time to a center daycare, but started at 3 mos. They do not offer meals (a blessing!), but used to offer snacks, but no longer do. I used to have issues with the snacks, and would provide my own, but they would still give her their junky snack food sometimes anyway, which I was ultimately ok with because it wasn't THAT much. I think you said 2 teachers for 5 kids. My center is 2 teachers for 8 babies, and they were managing meals from home, so I couldn't imagine it would be that difficult for them to put finger foods down on a tray for your daughter! She will probably be given snacks in a little tray seat, so there really isn't a lot of opportunity for grabbing other kids' food at that age. Once they share a table, I'm sure it's a different story.

At my center, it is very common for moms to come in on their lunch breaks to nurse. Also, there's a mom at my work who goes to her son's daycare on her lunch break. That is a big corporate run daycare, so I don't think it's an unusual request.

Re: sleeping, my daughter used to sleep in their cribs, and will sleep on a mat on the floor now, even though we co-slept. It really shocked me, but it's an amazing thing that happens at daycare. The kids kind of just go along with what the other kids do!

I hope you are as surprised as I was at how easy the transition went for my daughter. Good luck!

P.S. Oh, and I am totally "that mom"! And, I don't care. I am always super-nice with my requests, and super super appreciative of my daughter's care providers! I am sure it is possible they find me annoying, but I also know that they know I appreciate them and their willingness to accommodate, and so it is!
GreyMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #28
doodah
Registered Users
seller

I think whatever you work out with the daycare is fine. but it is important to go in prepared to work WITH your daycare, not go in with demands and expect special treatment. please be careful about putting your aunt in a bad position. she may say yes because it is too hard to say no to a relative....but it could become an issue with the actual staff (i am assuming your aunt is not working in the infant room). just try to remain open minded and respectful. make the workers job as easy as possible. maybe the lunch drop ins wont be a problem but if they are a problem, make sure the teachers know they can talk to you about anything and that you are prepared to make this work.

i would just hate for this to become an issue where your aunt it allowing things but the teachers become resentful of all the special treatment and extra work that comes with having your daughter in class. just something to consider. be very mindful of not only how your daughter is doing but also how the situation is affecting everyone else. this is group care, not nanny one-on-one care.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #29
Huxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My aunt is very professional and I'm positive will be very honest with me about policies and the whatnot. I would never put her in a bad place. She is going to be looking out for my daughter so I'm not burning any bridges.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #30
mmmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I packed my daughter lunch when she started daycare. They have since me stopped serving lunch because of allergies/restrictions etc so it has worked out for me.
Ask to have a copy of their menu. Highlight items she can have and send substitutes for the items she can't/or you would prefer she didn't eat.

I work in the Center my children have grown up in and we have a very strict snack menu; no juice, low sugar, high fibre. We serve fresh fruit/veggies with every snack(am and pm). Hopefully the centres menu will surprise you